Professional Web Applications Themes

Cost of Oracle vs DB2 - IBM DB2

One of the things told by Oracle rep about their annual support fees was that Oracle never charges again for a newer version. As long as the annual support fee is paid on time and not broken, a customer gets automatic upgrades to newer Oracle versions. Apparently that was the reason why their annual support fees, expressed as a % of license fee paid the first time, was more than double of what was quoted by DB2 for the same hardware. We were also told by Oracle rep that this is not true in case of DB2/MSSQL where free upgrades ...

  1. #1

    Default Cost of Oracle vs DB2

    One of the things told by Oracle rep about their annual support fees
    was that Oracle never charges again for a newer version. As long as
    the annual support fee is paid on time and not broken, a customer gets
    automatic upgrades to newer Oracle versions. Apparently that was the
    reason why their annual support fees, expressed as a % of license fee
    paid the first time, was more than double of what was quoted by DB2 for
    the same hardware.

    We were also told by Oracle rep that this is not true in case of DB2/MSSQL
    where free upgrades is not there for later versions and the customer will
    be forced to pay again a significant amount to get the latest version.

    I know this is not true for Informix customers. Existing customers, who
    have their support license not broken, pay far less for a new version
    than a new customer. And of course point releases are always free.

    I would like to know what is the policy of IBM when the time comes for
    a customer to upgrade from say 7.1 to 8.1 and in what way it is different
    from O, as claimed by O rep.

    TIA.

    rkusenet Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cost of Oracle vs DB2

    If you purchase DB2 with subscription support, upgrades to new versions are
    free ... within a certain timeframe (I think it's as long as the contract is
    in place and as long as maintenance (subscription support) is paid. Someone
    else could probably clarify this.

    Larry Edelstein

    Larry Guest

  3. #3

    Larry Edelstein wrote:
     [/ref]
    What is the current cost of subscription support? Roughly ....

    Thanks.

    --
    Daniel Morgan
    damorganx.washington.edu

    Daniel Guest

  4. #4

    If you bought DB2 v5.0, you could get 5.2 for free by downloading fixpak 6.

    If you bought DB2 v7.1, you could get 7.2 for free by downloading fixpak 3.

    The same approach is likely for v8.2.

    Blair Guest

  5. #5

    I think it's about 15% of the base price. It also covers reporting bugs.
    It's possible we doent it somewhere off here:

    http://www.lotus.com/services/passport.nsf/WebDocs/Passport_Advantage_Home

    Daniel Morgan wrote:
     [/ref]

    > What is the current cost of subscription support? Roughly ....
    >
    > Thanks.
    >[/ref]

    Blair Guest

  6. #6

    That's about right, based on personal experience.

    It's much the same (between 15 and 25%) for most software suppliers
    (including IBM. Oracle, CA, BMC, etc.)

    And anyone running "real" (business critical) work on any database,
    whether it be DB2, Oracle, IMS, MySQL or whatever would be foolish to not
    have a support contract in place.

    As we all know all software has bugs and having someone to fix them when
    we find them is critical.

    Let me just say : don't let this question descend into another "unholy
    war". All database systems have their strong and weak points, all cost
    money to operate and everyone has their own preferences. And many of
    the "better" feelings are more due to personal experience and comfort
    factors rather than anything else. And no amount of arguing will convince
    a fan of Database A that Database B is better. The same arguments will
    rage for ever, not only in the database world but also in other area
    (operating systems : Windows or Linux or ..., editors : vi or emacs,
    shells : bash or ksh or csh, I could go on). So let's stay professional
    and keep on supporting all who ask questions.

    Phil

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:38:44 -0400, Blair Adamache wrote:

    >> What is the current cost of subscription support? Roughly ....
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>[/ref][/ref]

    Philip Guest