Professional Web Applications Themes

could not boot from RedHat 9.0 CD - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I am very new in Linux. This is the first time I am trying to install Linux. I have RedHat9.0 CD. I insert the CD into CD-ROM, but did not boot up anything. I searched through internet, it indicates that I have to change boot device, because it could not automaticatly boot up from CD. How to change boot dievice from IBM Laptop, Windows XP?...

  1. #1

    Default could not boot from RedHat 9.0 CD

    I am very new in Linux. This is the first time I am trying to install Linux.
    I have RedHat9.0 CD. I insert the CD into CD-ROM, but did not boot up anything.
    I searched through internet, it indicates that I have to change boot device,
    because it could not automaticatly boot up from CD.
    How to change boot dievice from IBM Laptop, Windows XP?
    cljlk Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: could not boot from RedHat 9.0 CD

    cljlk wrote:
    > I am very new in Linux. This is the first time I am trying to install
    > Linux. I have RedHat9.0 CD. I insert the CD into CD-ROM, but did not boot
    > up anything. I searched through internet, it indicates that I have to
    > change boot device, because it could not automaticatly boot up from CD.
    > How to change boot dievice from IBM Laptop, Windows XP?
    This has nothing basically to do with Linux.
    Can you boot Windows from your CD?
    It would be surprising if you could not.
    But if you really need to change your BIOS setting
    (which I think is unlikely)
    you will probably see on the screen when you boot
    a message like "Press ESC to enter BIOS".
    If you don't see such a message you'd have to look it up in your manual.

    But it is much more likely that there is something wrong with your CD.
    Where did you get it?
    If it is a home-made copy,
    the technique for making a bootable CD was probably not followed.

    Incidentally, if you have a floppy drive
    you can find the means to make a floppy boot disk on the CD --
    or get one from RedHat's web-site --
    and boot from that.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    e-mail: [email]timbirdsnest.maths.tcd.ie[/email]

  3. #3

    cljlk wrote:
    > I am very new in Linux. This is the first time I am trying to install
    > Linux. I have RedHat9.0 CD. I insert the CD into CD-ROM, but did not boot
    > up anything. I searched through internet, it indicates that I have to
    > change boot device, because it could not automaticatly boot up from CD.
    > How to change boot dievice from IBM Laptop, Windows XP?
    You change the order of boot devices during bootup, not from XP.

    1. Reboot your computer.

    2. Notice as the power-on self-test is going on, a message appears like
    "Press <f2> for setup" or words like that. Follow the instructions for your
    machine.

    3. Once in the BIOS setup program, find the boot order and place the CD
    drive at the top of the list.

    4. Exit and boot-up will recommence, this time booting from the CD.

    After installing Linux, remember you did this (and undo it, returning to the
    original setup). Many innocent-looking CDs are bootable. If you leave your
    machine configured this way and leave a CD in the drive at power-off, next
    time you boot up your computer might try to boot from it, and you will be
    writing us again.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    [url]http://www.arachnoid.com[/url]

    Paul Lutus Guest

  4. #4

    cljlk wrote:
    > How to change boot dievice from IBM Laptop
    on next powerup, go into the BIOS setup and change
    the boot order of devices so that CD is first
    ..
    \\\ [url]http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html[/url] ///
    You will lose your present job and have to become a
    door to door mayonnaise salesman.

    mjt Guest

  5. #5

    cljlk wrote:

    Most recent (last 3-4 years?) IBM Thinkpads give choice of changing boot
    device at powerup via F12 key. If not, then almost certainly choosing F1
    is displayed to go into the BIOS setup to possibly (not all models) change
    boot device. Which model do you have?

    --
    Rory O'Connor

    r o o c o n n
    n c
    r r
    c o m
    (put 'em together with at and dots in likely places for my emailddress)
    ROC Guest

  6. #6

    I reboot my computer and press F2 but failed, and try F12 or F1 failed
    also. Why could not I reach the changing boot device area.
    Is there other alternative way that I can change to boot device?

    cljlk Guest

  7. #7

    cljlk wrote:

    You need to read what is on the screen of your computer. My example was only
    an example. YMMV.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Guest

  8. #8

    ]cljlk wrote:

    ]> I am very new in Linux. This is the first time I am trying to install Linux.
    ]> I have RedHat9.0 CD. I insert the CD into CD-ROM, but did not boot up anything.
    ]> I searched through internet, it indicates that I have to change boot device,
    ]> because it could not automaticatly boot up from CD.
    ]> How to change boot dievice from IBM Laptop, Windows XP?

    You have to get into the bios of your machine. HOw to do that depends on
    the machine. YOu must do it befor you see anything -- some use del, some
    use F1 or F2, etc. Usually they display which it should be on the very
    first screen that you see, but sometimes not. Then you have to guess.
    And you only have a very short time in which you can do it.
    If you think it is say del, then sit there right at the beginning
    constantly hitting the del button, until you see the bios screen or the
    thing starts booting. (constantly hitting means 3 or 4 times a second).

    Bill Guest

  9. #9

    Paul Lutus wrote:

    > You need to read what is on the screen of your computer. My example was
    > only an example. YMMV.[/ref]

    .... i have a box that has that silly (optional) bios-boot-splash
    screen that only displays the "DELL" logo - you have to know
    what key to hit during this splash. while in the bios setup,
    you can turn this silliness off, then see the "normal" bios
    boot sequence, including the "setup key"
    ..
    \\\ http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html ///
    's Law: You always find something in the last place you look.

    mjt Guest

  10. #10

    com (cljlk) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    Thank you all!!
    I have hardware password that confused me. I do have F2 and F12 option
    right before I enter hardware password.
    Thanks again.
    cljlk Guest

  11. #11

    mjt wrote:

    >> You need to read what is on the screen of your computer. My example was
    >> only an example. YMMV.[/ref]
    >
    > ... i have a box that has that silly (optional) bios-boot-splash
    > screen that only displays the "DELL" logo - you have to know
    > what key to hit during this splash. while in the bios setup,
    > you can turn this silliness off, then see the "normal" bios
    > boot sequence, including the "setup key"[/ref]

    That's really anoying, and it speaks to the reverence for advertising over
    function. My Dell laptops don't do that (two Latitude C840s and one
    Inspiron 8500, all running Linux), lucky for me. They reveal the magic key
    on the spash screen along with the usual corporate logos.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Guest