Professional Web Applications Themes

Could not find installable ISAM - ASP Database

Hi, Using this ASP code I get the error Could not find installable ISAM. I always connect to Access databases using ADO and Delphi. I never got this error message. I want to use ADO within ASP code what is the problem I have? I tried with Access db 97, 2000 and 2002, always the same message. Any help will be appreciate. <% Language=VBScript %> <% option explicit %> <% Response.Buffer=True %> <% dim conn Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") conn.ConnectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLED B.4.0;DataSource=" & _ Server.MapPath("Test.mdb") conn.CursorLocation=adUseClient conn.Mode= adModeRead conn.Open %> thank's in advance serge...

  1. #1

    Default Could not find installable ISAM

    Hi,

    Using this ASP code I get the error Could not find installable ISAM. I
    always connect to Access databases using ADO and Delphi. I never got
    this error message. I want to use ADO within ASP code what is the
    problem I have? I tried with Access db 97, 2000 and 2002, always the
    same message. Any help will be appreciate.

    <% Language=VBScript %>
    <% option explicit %>
    <% Response.Buffer=True %>
    <%
    _
    Server.MapPath("Test.mdb")
    conn.CursorLocation=adUseClient
    conn.Mode= adModeRead
    conn.Open
    %>

    thank's in advance
    serge

    Serge Myrand Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Could not find installable ISAM

    Are you sure you have Jet 4.0 installed?

    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/2342[/url]

    --
    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/[/url]
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    "Serge Myrand" <infosoftdelirium.qc.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Using this ASP code I get the error Could not find installable ISAM. I
    > always connect to Access databases using ADO and Delphi. I never got
    > this error message. I want to use ADO within ASP code what is the
    > problem I have? I tried with Access db 97, 2000 and 2002, always the
    > same message. Any help will be appreciate.
    >
    > <% Language=VBScript %>
    > <% option explicit %>
    > <% Response.Buffer=True %>
    > <%
    > dim conn
    > Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > conn.ConnectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLED B.4.0;DataSource=" &
    > _
    > Server.MapPath("Test.mdb")
    > conn.CursorLocation=adUseClient
    > conn.Mode= adModeRead
    > conn.Open
    > %>
    >
    > thank's in advance
    > serge

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP] Guest

  3. #3

    Hi,

    Yes I am. I use it every single day in Delphi. Except error, ISAM worth for
    Jet 2x and Jet 3x. Any oyher idea?

    thank you
    serge

    "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" wrote:
    > Are you sure you have Jet 4.0 installed?
    >
    > [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/2342[/url]
    >
    > --
    > [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/[/url]
    > (Reverse address to reply.)
    >
    > "Serge Myrand" <infosoftdelirium.qc.ca> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Using this ASP code I get the error Could not find installable ISAM. I
    > > always connect to Access databases using ADO and Delphi. I never got
    > > this error message. I want to use ADO within ASP code what is the
    > > problem I have? I tried with Access db 97, 2000 and 2002, always the
    > > same message. Any help will be appreciate.
    > >
    > > <% Language=VBScript %>
    > > <% option explicit %>
    > > <% Response.Buffer=True %>
    > > <%
    > > dim conn
    > > Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > > conn.ConnectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLED B.4.0;DataSource=" &
    > > _
    > > Server.MapPath("Test.mdb")
    > > conn.CursorLocation=adUseClient
    > > conn.Mode= adModeRead
    > > conn.Open
    > > %>
    > >
    > > thank's in advance
    > > serge

    Serge Myrand Guest

  4. #4

    I suggest you download and install the latest Jet service pack from MS.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP] Guest

  5. #5

    (Bob, excuse me for answering to your personnal address, it's a mistake, I am
    sorry)

    Hi,

    I have just re-installed MDAC 2.7 SP1 and JetOLEDB 4.0 SP8. I still have the

    same problem. I tried my ASP file on XP pro and Win 2000 Pro. With the same
    result, an error message: Could not find installable ISAM.

    I really do not know what to do next!

    any idea?
    thank's
    serge

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:
    > I suggest you download and install the latest Jet service pack from MS.
    >
    > Bob Barrows
    > Serge Myrand wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Yes I am. I use it every single day in Delphi. Except error, ISAM
    > > worth for Jet 2x and Jet 3x. Any oyher idea?
    > >
    > > thank you
    > > serge
    > >

    > > "Aaron [SQL Server MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Are you sure you have Jet 4.0 installed?
    > >>
    > >> [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/2342[/url]
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/[/url]
    > >> (Reverse address to reply.)
    > >>
    > >> "Serge Myrand" <infosoftdelirium.qc.ca> wrote in message

    > --
    > Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Serge Myrand Guest

  6. #6

    It's possibly a permissions issue. Try creating a udl file to test your
    ability to connect to your database:

    1. On the machine giving you the problem, create an empty text file
    2. Change its extension to .udl
    3. open it up - you should get a wizard to help you create a connection
    4. follow the steps to choose the Jet OLEDB provider, point it at a db, etc
    5. Test the connection

    If the UDL file works correctly, close it then open it in Notepad to see the
    connection string it generated. In your asp page, do this before attempting
    to open the connection:

    response.write conn.connectionstring
    response.end

    run the page and compare the connection strings.

    Bob Barrows

    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP] Guest

  7. #7

    Hi,

    It was a good idea, it resolve my problem. The missing part was "Persist
    Security Info=False". I ask to myself why do I need that? I never seen it in any
    example before! It works even if I set it to "Persist Security Info=True" but it
    does not work if I removed it...!

    Thank you very much for your time
    Serge

    Serge Myrand Guest

  8. #8

    That IS strange. I've never used that setting.

    Bob Barrows

    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP] Guest

  9. #9

    Hi all,

    I am creating an ASP web service and wish to connect
    to an MS Access 2003 database. However, when I
    attempt to access the database I get the following
    error

    "Could not find installable ISAM"

    I found this on a Microsoft web site.

    "Although you cannot link a database object to either
    Microsoft Internet Information Services (.htx, .idc) or
    Microsoft Active Server Pages (.asp) output formats,
    you can export (export: To output data and database
    objects to another database, spreadsheet, or file
    format so another database or program can use the
    data or database objects. You can export data to a
    variety of supported databases, programs, and file
    formats.) the object to the desired output format and
    then attach the file in a mail program, such as
    Microsoft Office Outlook 2003. "

    Is it true? Do I have to use SQL server for my webservices?

    If I can use MS Access 2003 database files, how do
    I connect to them?

    Thanks,

    Jason.
    Jason James Guest

  10. #10

    You do not *have* to use SQL Server, you *can* use Access and your problem
    is not related to this. Your problem is either your connection string is
    wrong or the target machine does not have the necessary MDAC components.

    The correct connection string should be
    "Provider=Microsoft.JET.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=DatabasePhyscialPath"

    Having said that, Access is not meant for multi-user environments (although
    it can handle a limited amount of them). You may want to consider using
    MSDE with an Access front-end.

    "Jason James" <jasondive-master.org> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am creating an ASP web service and wish to connect
    > to an MS Access 2003 database. However, when I
    > attempt to access the database I get the following
    > error
    >
    > "Could not find installable ISAM"
    >
    > I found this on a Microsoft web site.
    >
    > "Although you cannot link a database object to either
    > Microsoft Internet Information Services (.htx, .idc) or
    > Microsoft Active Server Pages (.asp) output formats,
    > you can export (export: To output data and database
    > objects to another database, spreadsheet, or file
    > format so another database or program can use the
    > data or database objects. You can export data to a
    > variety of supported databases, programs, and file
    > formats.) the object to the desired output format and
    > then attach the file in a mail program, such as
    > Microsoft Office Outlook 2003. "
    >
    > Is it true? Do I have to use SQL server for my webservices?
    >
    > If I can use MS Access 2003 database files, how do
    > I connect to them?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jason.

    Scott M. Guest

  11. #11

    Thanks Scott.

    When I port the ocde I wrote for the WS and place it into a
    winform app, everything works great.

    I am therefore happy that the connection string is good and
    I have the necessary MDAC files installed.

    When I port the solution to SQL it all works just fine!!

    Any other thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Jason

    On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:02:17 -0400, "Scott M." <s-marnospam.nospam>
    wrote:
    >You do not *have* to use SQL Server, you *can* use Access and your problem
    >is not related to this. Your problem is either your connection string is
    >wrong or the target machine does not have the necessary MDAC components.
    >
    >The correct connection string should be
    >"Provider=Microsoft.JET.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=DatabasePhyscialPath"
    >
    >Having said that, Access is not meant for multi-user environments (although
    >it can handle a limited amount of them). You may want to consider using
    >MSDE with an Access front-end.
    >

    >"Jason James" <jasondive-master.org> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I am creating an ASP web service and wish to connect
    >> to an MS Access 2003 database. However, when I
    >> attempt to access the database I get the following
    >> error
    >>
    >> "Could not find installable ISAM"
    >>
    >> I found this on a Microsoft web site.
    >>
    >> "Although you cannot link a database object to either
    >> Microsoft Internet Information Services (.htx, .idc) or
    >> Microsoft Active Server Pages (.asp) output formats,
    >> you can export (export: To output data and database
    >> objects to another database, spreadsheet, or file
    >> format so another database or program can use the
    >> data or database objects. You can export data to a
    >> variety of supported databases, programs, and file
    >> formats.) the object to the desired output format and
    >> then attach the file in a mail program, such as
    >> Microsoft Office Outlook 2003. "
    >>
    >> Is it true? Do I have to use SQL server for my webservices?
    >>
    >> If I can use MS Access 2003 database files, how do
    >> I connect to them?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jason.

    Jason James Guest

  12. #12

    When you try this application as a web service, is it running on the same
    machine as when you run it as a web form?

    Has the folder containing the database AS WELL AS the database itself given
    permission to the ASPNET user account for full access?

    Are you sure that the database is in a virtual directory of IIS so that when
    the web service tries to find it, it can? Are you also sure that the path
    is specified correctly for IIS?

    > Thanks Scott.
    >
    > When I port the ocde I wrote for the WS and place it into a
    > winform app, everything works great.
    >
    > I am therefore happy that the connection string is good and
    > I have the necessary MDAC files installed.
    >
    > When I port the solution to SQL it all works just fine!!
    >
    > Any other thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jason
    >
    > On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:02:17 -0400, "Scott M." <s-marnospam.nospam>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>You do not *have* to use SQL Server, you *can* use Access and your problem
    >>is not related to this. Your problem is either your connection string is
    >>wrong or the target machine does not have the necessary MDAC components.
    >>
    >>The correct connection string should be
    >>"Provider=Microsoft.JET.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=DatabasePhyscialPath"
    >>
    >>Having said that, Access is not meant for multi-user environments
    >>(although
    >>it can handle a limited amount of them). You may want to consider using
    >>MSDE with an Access front-end.
    >>

    >>"Jason James" <jasondive-master.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I am creating an ASP web service and wish to connect
    >>> to an MS Access 2003 database. However, when I
    >>> attempt to access the database I get the following
    >>> error
    >>>
    >>> "Could not find installable ISAM"
    >>>
    >>> I found this on a Microsoft web site.
    >>>
    >>> "Although you cannot link a database object to either
    >>> Microsoft Internet Information Services (.htx, .idc) or
    >>> Microsoft Active Server Pages (.asp) output formats,
    >>> you can export (export: To output data and database
    >>> objects to another database, spreadsheet, or file
    >>> format so another database or program can use the
    >>> data or database objects. You can export data to a
    >>> variety of supported databases, programs, and file
    >>> formats.) the object to the desired output format and
    >>> then attach the file in a mail program, such as
    >>> Microsoft Office Outlook 2003. "
    >>>
    >>> Is it true? Do I have to use SQL server for my webservices?
    >>>
    >>> If I can use MS Access 2003 database files, how do
    >>> I connect to them?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Jason.

    Scott M. Guest

  13. #13

    Scott,
    I tried it again on a different machine running VS.Net and
    MS WIndows 2K and MS Office 2K (not 2003). Gave ASPNET
    read and write to the DB file only (not the folder), it is
    contained in a folder that is not a virtual directory, and
    everything worked just fine. I am going to try again on my
    other machine (running XP and MS Office 2003) and see what
    happens. If ther are no known issues with MS Office 2003
    and Windows XP then I must have done something stupid.
    I'll let you know in a while.

    Many thanks for sticking with me on this.

    Jason.

    Jason James Guest

  14. #14

    Ok, good luck. FYI - you do not need to have Office (or Access) installed
    on the machine with the database housed on it, that's what MDAC is for.

    "Jason James" <jason.nospamdive--master_nospam.org> wrote in message

    > Scott,
    > I tried it again on a different machine running VS.Net and
    > MS WIndows 2K and MS Office 2K (not 2003). Gave ASPNET
    > read and write to the DB file only (not the folder), it is
    > contained in a folder that is not a virtual directory, and
    > everything worked just fine. I am going to try again on my
    > other machine (running XP and MS Office 2003) and see what
    > happens. If ther are no known issues with MS Office 2003
    > and Windows XP then I must have done something stupid.
    > I'll let you know in a while.
    >
    > Many thanks for sticking with me on this.
    >
    > Jason.
    >

    > *** Sent via Developersdex [url]http://www.developersdex.com[/url] ***

    Scott M. Guest

  15. #15

    I just had this last night as well. Turned out to be the connection string;
    you MUST be very careful for exact format using using "JET OLEDB:..."
    elements. In my case, it was a space after the : character :-(

    Amil

    "Scott M." <s-marnospam.nospam> wrote in message
    > Ok, good luck. FYI - you do not need to have Office (or Access) installed
    > on the machine with the database housed on it, that's what MDAC is for.
    >

    > "Jason James" <jason.nospamdive--master_nospam.org> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Scott,
    > > I tried it again on a different machine running VS.Net and
    > > MS WIndows 2K and MS Office 2K (not 2003). Gave ASPNET
    > > read and write to the DB file only (not the folder), it is
    > > contained in a folder that is not a virtual directory, and
    > > everything worked just fine. I am going to try again on my
    > > other machine (running XP and MS Office 2003) and see what
    > > happens. If ther are no known issues with MS Office 2003
    > > and Windows XP then I must have done something stupid.
    > > I'll let you know in a while.
    > >
    > > Many thanks for sticking with me on this.
    > >
    > > Jason.
    > >

    > > *** Sent via Developersdex [url]http://www.developersdex.com[/url] ***

    Amil Guest

  16. #16

    Yep. What "could not find installable ISAM" means is that the compiler
    couldn't find the provider specified in the connection string. There are
    only 2 reasons it would say that: either the provider is correct, but not
    installed on the machine or the connection string is incorrect.

  17. #17

    Hi all,

    thanks for all your help on this. I got there in the end. Funny how
    it worked in a windows app and not a webservice though!

    Regards,

    Jason.