Professional Web Applications Themes

could not find PrDetails.ini in /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/XML/SAX; also need some advice about XML parsing modules on CPAN - PERL Beginners

  1. #1

    Default Re: could not find PrDetails.ini in /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/XML/SAX; also need some advice about XML parsing modules on CPAN

    > Ken Wolcott wrote:
    >
    > Again, replying to my own post as nobody has reponded :-(
    >
    > I saw the "could not find PrDetails.ini in
    > /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/XML/SAX" warning/error on a Fedora Core
    > 2 system, but did not see the error on three Red Hat 9 systems. So I
    > punted by not using the Fedora system.
    >
    > Ken
    >[/ref]

    See if I can actually get somewhere with this. XML::Simple is just a
    wrapper around one of the lower level XML prs. Essentially any
    pr can be used. XML::DOM and XML::SAX are two examples, within these
    examples they can/do wrap lower level C libs, such as expat[1] or
    libxml[2]. Alternatively they may also provide a pure Perl
    implementation which is likely slower, but still correct. Unless you
    specifically request a specific pr XML::Simple will look for one
    that is available and use it. In this case it appears that either you
    specified or it came upon XML::SAX and attempts to use. Part of the
    XML::SAX API allows for alternate prs to be installed, including the
    two mentioned above (expat and libxml), and also provides a PurePerl
    version. The module also checks for a PrDetails.ini to see if you
    have written your own pr that you might prefer to load before the
    others, or before the default pure Perl version is loaded. It appears
    that the file should be installed at installation time or bootstrapped
    by the Makefile.PL but this is kinda unclear to me. You can check the
    top of the source for XML::SAX to see some pod like comments about that
    file as well as the format it should take.

    So if I had to guess, the RH9 systems probably came installed with
    either of the prs (or both) and the FC system did not. It would be
    pretty simple to have this problem if you didn't install all of the dev
    libraries, or selected specific packages, etc. Alternatively a previous
    version of XML::SAX may have installed the file and newer ones don't. It
    appears at some point that a makefile touched the file in place, and
    that may have been removed. I also suspect that it is working since the
    PurePerl pr is installed with XML::SAX and it is falling back to it.
    And the message you are seeing is just a warning. So you might check
    for the various libraries, check their versions, check the versions of
    XML::Simple/XML::SAX, and make sure that the Perl modules were installed
    against the most recent versions of those libs. To quiet the warning if
    you so desire it appears you can touch the PrDetails.ini file in the
    directory that XML::SAX is installed.

    Take all of this with as large of a grain of salt as you wish, I am no
    XML expert....

    http://danconia.org

    [1] http://expat.sourceforge.net/
    [2] http://www.xmlsoft.org/
    Wiggins Guest

  2. #2

    > > Ken Wolcott wrote: [/ref][/ref]
    have [/ref][/ref]
    mentioned

    > > Again, replying to my own post as nobody has reponded :-(
    > >
    > > I saw the "could not find PrDetails.ini in
    > > /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.3/XML/SAX" warning/error on a Fedora[/ref][/ref]
    Core

    > See if I can actually get somewhere with this. XML::Simple is just a
    > wrapper around one of the lower level XML prs. Essentially any
    > pr can be used. XML::DOM and XML::SAX are two examples, within these
    > examples they can/do wrap lower level C libs, such as expat[1] or
    > libxml[2]. Alternatively they may also provide a pure Perl
    > implementation which is likely slower, but still correct. Unless you
    > specifically request a specific pr XML::Simple will look for one
    > that is available and use it. In this case it appears that either you
    > specified or it came upon XML::SAX and attempts to use. Part of the
    > XML::SAX API allows for alternate prs to be installed, including the
    > two mentioned above (expat and libxml), and also provides a PurePerl
    > version. The module also checks for a PrDetails.ini to see if you
    > have written your own pr that you might prefer to load before the
    > others, or before the default pure Perl version is loaded. It appears
    > that the file should be installed at installation time or bootstrapped
    > by the Makefile.PL but this is kinda unclear to me. You can check the
    > top of the source for XML::SAX to see some pod like comments about that
    > file as well as the format it should take.
    >
    > So if I had to guess, the RH9 systems probably came installed with
    > either of the prs (or both) and the FC system did not. It would be
    > pretty simple to have this problem if you didn't install all of the dev
    > libraries, or selected specific packages, etc. Alternatively a previous
    > version of XML::SAX may have installed the file and newer ones don't. It
    > appears at some point that a makefile touched the file in place, and
    > that may have been removed. I also suspect that it is working since the
    > PurePerl pr is installed with XML::SAX and it is falling back to it.
    > And the message you are seeing is just a warning. So you might check
    > for the various libraries, check their versions, check the versions of
    > XML::Simple/XML::SAX, and make sure that the Perl modules were installed
    > against the most recent versions of those libs. To quiet the warning if
    > you so desire it appears you can touch the PrDetails.ini file in the
    > directory that XML::SAX is installed.
    >
    > Take all of this with as large of a grain of salt as you wish, I am no
    > XML expert....
    >
    > http://danconia.org
    >
    > [1] http://expat.sourceforge.net/
    > [2] http://www.xmlsoft.org/
    >[/ref]

    Ah hah... addendum:

    http://perl-xml.sourceforge.net/faq/#prdetails.ini

    http://danconia.org

    Wiggins Guest

  3. #3

    Wiggins d Anconia wrote:
     [/ref]

    Thanks for your response. I have bookmarked that faq. I did apply the
    suggested fix.

    Ken
    Ken Guest