Professional Web Applications Themes

Could really do with some expert help - scrolling layers and popup menu problems - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Hello I have to finish off a site for tomorrow. Unfortunately the client has just changed there mind as to how they want the site to work. I original used frames and had no problems but when I posted a site check 90% came back and said get rid of the frames. So I have and I now have loads of unfamiliar problems to resolve. The first is getting a scrolling layer to position the bottom inline with the bottom of the browser window - 100% height. At the moment 100% means it gets rid of the scroll bar and ...

  1. #1

    Default Could really do with some expert help - scrolling layers and popup menu problems

    Hello

    I have to finish off a site for tomorrow. Unfortunately the client has just
    changed there mind as to how they want the site to work. I original used
    frames and had no problems but when I posted a site check 90% came back and
    said get rid of the frames. So I have and I now have loads of unfamiliar
    problems to resolve.

    The first is getting a scrolling layer to position the bottom inline with
    the bottom of the browser window - 100% height. At the moment 100% means it
    gets rid of the scroll bar and the whole page has to move.

    The second is the popup menu under the service button. The bottom two
    buttons of the drop-down are under the main text layer for some reason

    The third is getting the drop down links to display correctly.

    This is the page I am working on:

    http://www.cre8x.co.uk/clients/tlgheating/services.htm

    Thanks for any help

    Tony

    Tony Guest

  2. #2

    Tony:

    See my response to the previous post about scrolling layers. Looking at the
    page you have linked, I can find no reason for the scrolling area at all.
    You do realize that when you print the page (as people are often inclined to
    do since they go to the site for information) that you will not get the
    entire content of the scrolling area, but only what is shown on the screen,
    right? I just never use them at all, really, unless I have a very special
    application.

    If the client changes their mind this close to a finish date it resets the
    clock in my book.

    I looked at your pop-up menus (which are not going under - they are going
    over the underlying text but because they are also only text, you can see
    the underlying content through them. As I have said before - I think the
    whole idea of the FW menus is a BIG mistake.

    You are specifying this -

    window.mm_menu_0807110945_0 = new Menu("root",156,14,"Century Gothic"

    and you should know that Century Gothic is not a websafe font. Those who do
    not have this font installed on their computer will see Times or Times New
    Roman, a rather different look indeed.

    You are using the menus to jump to text with named anchors within the
    scrolling layer, and I am suspicious that this will not work in some major
    browsers.

    Your layer is inside a table cell on the page and that's surely going to
    cause problems. Absolutely positioned page elements do not belong in table
    cells.

    Your page does not even load in IE5x/Mac.

    Your page weight is >90K, and that doesn't include the final weight of your
    Flash.

    Frankly, and I hate to be the one to say this, but I think you already have
    serious problems here.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================