Professional Web Applications Themes

"Couldn't contact Spell Checker" error message - Mac Applications & Software

Howdy all. I'm occasionally getting this "Couldn't contact Spell Checker" error message in a few apps, chiefly when I highlight a URL in the address bar in a web browser. This is rather baffling to me. It seems the OS wants to spell check this automatically but can't. Any thoughts on why and how to fix? I'd be satisfied enough with merely disabling the system from automatically spell checking everything, though solving the root of the error would be nice too. Running 10.2.8 here. Had same problem since at least 10.2.6. Thanks for any help!...

  1. #1

    Default "Couldn't contact Spell Checker" error message

    Howdy all. I'm occasionally getting this "Couldn't contact Spell
    Checker" error message in a few apps, chiefly when I highlight a URL in
    the address bar in a web browser. This is rather baffling to me. It
    seems the OS wants to spell check this automatically but can't. Any
    thoughts on why and how to fix? I'd be satisfied enough with merely
    disabling the system from automatically spell checking everything,
    though solving the root of the error would be nice too. Running 10.2.8
    here. Had same problem since at least 10.2.6. Thanks for any help!
    Just Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: "Couldn't contact Spell Checker" error message

    Just Annutha Dewd <josÈ> wrote:

    Spell checking is performed by the AppleSpell service. Is it working at
    all? (Can you turn on "spell check as you type" in TextEdit, for
    example?) If not, perhaps permissions need to be repaired. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    matt Guest

  3. #3

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 14:57:17 GMT, upon awakening from a drug-induced
    coma, matt neuburg woke up in a cold sweat and exclaimed:

    > Spell checking is performed by the AppleSpell service. Is it working at
    > all? (Can you turn on "spell check as you type" in TextEdit, for
    > example?) If not, perhaps permissions need to be repaired. m.[/ref]

    In my default logon username, I get this same error when typing in
    TextEdit after activating "Spell check as you type". After each word,
    there's a pause of several seconds before I can continue typing, then
    the message pops up. And it does this for each word. So... I tried
    repairing permissions, but that didn't help. So I logged off and back
    on under a different username, and I had none of these problems under
    that user. So... any thoughts on what to do next? Short of switching
    usernames, as the local troll will no doubt suggest!
    Just Guest

  4. #4

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 14:57:17 GMT, upon awakening from a drug-induced
    coma, matt neuburg woke up in a cold sweat and exclaimed:

    > Spell checking is performed by the AppleSpell service. Is it working at
    > all? (Can you turn on "spell check as you type" in TextEdit, for
    > example?) If not, perhaps permissions need to be repaired. m.[/ref]

    Please disregard my prior reply. I found the problem. I had downloaded
    and installed an alternate spell-checking service called cocoAspell some
    time back, but never got around to trying it out and forgot about it
    since I just don't really type out much of anything on my PowerBook.
    Since this problem only affected my default user, I figured it musta
    been something I had installed at some point. A conflicting service was
    my immediate guess, and a check of my user's services folder turned up
    cocoAspell as the most likely culprit.
    Just Guest

  5. #5

    In article <MPG.19fbad4fdc895ea7989689news-server>,
    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Just_Annutha_Dewd?= <josé> wrote:
     [/ref][/ref]

    Yes, cocoAspell has a bug where it sometimes crashes...and the author
    knows about it, as it is on his homepage. I had this happen to me
    suddenly after many happy months with no problem...eventually I
    uninstalled cocoAspell as I couldn't get it to work consistently. Too
    bad, as it is a great spell checker for TeX doents.

    --
    Jim Meiss
    <http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/jdm>