Professional Web Applications Themes

Coverting Jpgs to Tiffs . . . HELP . . . - Photography

Hi All Just finished a job using a Fuji s2 ,I did all the pictures on trany film and used the Fuji as a extra camera (just to get used to digital).I shot all the pictures in jpg rather than tiff as I have noticed little difference in quality when using low compression.I sent the trany's and a cd copy of the pictures to the client and they have said that they want to use a couple of the shots on the cd but can they have them as tiff's. Problem : When I change the jpgs to tiffs in ...

  1. #1

    Default Coverting Jpgs to Tiffs . . . HELP . . .

    Hi All

    Just finished a job using a Fuji s2 ,I did all the pictures on trany
    film and used the Fuji as a extra camera (just to get used to
    digital).I shot all the pictures in jpg rather than tiff as I have
    noticed little difference in quality when using low compression.I sent
    the trany's and a cd copy of the pictures to the client and they have
    said that they want to use a couple of the shots on the cd but can
    they have them as tiff's.

    Problem :

    When I change the jpgs to tiffs in Photoshop they come out fine if I
    leave it as a 3 channel tiff (which is no good for print) but if I
    convert them to 4 channel tiffs every body looks like they have a
    really bad suntan ( a red/pink cast) ,I know this can be removed by
    the printers but don't want to send my client photographs with colour
    that bad.I've looked through a few forums and found nothing and any
    'how to' pages for Photoshop just go the same route as I already have
    which still leaves me with the red cast.So how do I convert jpgs to
    tiffs without the colour being affected?

    Any help with this would be much appreciated.

    And yes I'll shoot tiff next time . . . . . . .

    Alistair

    A S Willoughby Photography

    Web Site

    [url]www.aswilloughby.co.uk[/url]
    Alistair S Willoughby Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Coverting Jpgs to Tiffs . . . HELP . . .

    [email]aswillohotmail.com[/email] (Alistair S Willoughby) wrote in
    news:5f519142.0306300311.68adbe2aposting.google.c om:
    > When I change the jpgs to tiffs in Photoshop they come out fine if I
    > leave it as a 3 channel tiff (which is no good for print)
    You mean RGB TIFFs? They are _very_ good for print nowadays, and the
    conversion should be left for the printer, to be done according to the
    specific needs of the printer used.
    > but if I
    > convert them to 4 channel tiffs every body looks like they have a
    > really bad suntan ( a red/pink cast) ,
    If the RGB files are ok, you use a bad method of RGB to CMYK conversion.
    The only good way to do this is to ask the printer for an ICM profile for
    the printing device and use "profile to profile" conversion in Photoshop.
    But if the printer uses CMS, even this is best to be done during printing.

    All in all, as the files have been shot as JPEG, there is no reason for
    them to be converted to TIFFs, unless they need editing.
    > I know this can be removed by
    > the printers but don't want to send my client photographs with colour
    > that bad.I've looked through a few forums and found nothing and any
    > 'how to' pages for Photoshop just go the same route as I already have
    > which still leaves me with the red cast.So how do I convert jpgs to
    > tiffs without the colour being affected?
    Just don't touch the color in anyway, don't convert them to CMYK, don't
    attach any color profile to them, don't let Photoshop do any kind of color
    conversion to them.

    --
    Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>

    Matti Vuori Guest

  3. #3

    "Alistair S Willoughby" <aswillohotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:5f519142.0306300311.68adbe2aposting.google.c om...
    > Hi All
    >
    > Just finished a job using a Fuji s2 ,I did all the pictures on trany
    > film and used the Fuji as a extra camera (just to get used to
    > digital).I shot all the pictures in jpg rather than tiff as I have
    > noticed little difference in quality when using low compression.I sent
    > the trany's and a cd copy of the pictures to the client and they have
    > said that they want to use a couple of the shots on the cd but can
    > they have them as tiff's.
    >
    > Problem :
    >
    > When I change the jpgs to tiffs in Photoshop they come out fine if I
    > leave it as a 3 channel tiff (which is no good for print) but if I
    > convert them to 4 channel tiffs every body looks like they have a
    > really bad suntan ( a red/pink cast) ,I know this can be removed by
    > the printers but don't want to send my client photographs with colour
    > that bad.I've looked through a few forums and found nothing and any
    > 'how to' pages for Photoshop just go the same route as I already have
    > which still leaves me with the red cast.So how do I convert jpgs to
    > tiffs without the colour being affected?
    >
    > Any help with this would be much appreciated.
    >
    > And yes I'll shoot tiff next time . . . . . . .
    >

    > Alistair
    >
    > A S Willoughby Photography
    >
    > Web Site
    >
    > [url]www.aswilloughby.co.uk[/url]
    If you are shooting at the S2's highest resolution, consider shooting as
    CCD-RAW and converting to TIFF or JPG after shooting. The advantages of
    shooting RAW is you get more creative control over the image (debatable),
    but also you can get slightly more than twice as many shots stored on the
    same capacity CF / microdrive as you can if saving them in RGB-TIFF mode.
    Also the files write faster to the storage media when shooting and download
    quicker too.

    If you aren't already doing so, set the S2's colour and tone to "ORG" when
    shooting, if the intended purpose is to send the shots for commercial
    printing.

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Rutlidge Guest