Professional Web Applications Themes

cpan modules and solaris 9? - Sun Solaris

Can someone tell me if modules from cpan.org are compatible with the perl installed with solaris 9? If not, should I nuke the base perl installed with the O/S and compile myself with gcc or better yet, grab the freeware package compiled with gcc? Thanks in advance for any help. I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear... is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.... - Vince Lombardi...

  1. #1

    Default cpan modules and solaris 9?

    Can someone tell me if modules from cpan.org are compatible with the perl
    installed with solaris 9? If not, should I nuke the base perl installed
    with the O/S and compile myself with gcc or better yet, grab the freeware
    package compiled with gcc? Thanks in advance for any help.

    I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear...
    is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies
    exhausted on the field of battle - victorious....

    - Vince Lombardi
    scott.micciche Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: cpan modules and solaris 9?

    scott.micciche <net> wrote:

    I would leave Sun's installation of perl alone (and don't remove it
    neither, as some other Sun packages depend on it), and install your
    own version in some other place (/usr/local or /opt). You can enhance
    this local version of perl (or install the most recent version of
    perl) as you like without interfering with Sun's perl.

    I don't like having multiple versions of one package either, but
    in some cases (perl, java) it's just less bersome.

    mp.
    --
    Systems Administrator | Institute for Software Science | Univ. of Vienna
    Martin Guest

  3. #3

    On Thu, 9 Oct 2003, scott.micciche wrote:

    From the Solaris FAQ:

    3.75) I always install my own perl, can I remove the Sun installed one?

    Sun is planning to build software that is tested against the version
    of perl supplied with the OS.

    The answer is NO, you cannot remove perl.

    You can remove the /usr/bin/perl link, as Sun supplied software will
    only depend on /usr/perl5/bin/perl being present.

    If you're going to build modules, I'd strongly suggest building your
    own perl rather than downloading a binary. If the module you're building
    has compiled C components, they need to be built with the same compiler
    and libraries as your perl installation.

    JS

    John Guest

  4. #4

    In article <mebay.biz>,
    John Schmidt <biz> wrote:

    >From the Solaris FAQ:
    >
    > 3.75) I always install my own perl, can I remove the Sun installed one?
    >
    > Sun is planning to build software that is tested against the version
    > of perl supplied with the OS.
    >
    > The answer is NO, you cannot remove perl.
    >
    > You can remove the /usr/bin/perl link, as Sun supplied software will
    > only depend on /usr/perl5/bin/perl being present.
    >
    >If you're going to build modules, I'd strongly suggest building your
    >own perl rather than downloading a binary. If the module you're building
    >has compiled C components, they need to be built with the same compiler
    >and libraries as your perl installation.
    >
    >JS[/ref]

    I have loaded cpan modules into the Solaris 8 Perl. The modules do not
    contain compiled C components. If there is any C code, the module will
    attempt to compile and link them. You will need a C compiler for such
    modules. In the end, I had to build and install a newer version of
    Perl than the Sun supplied version. SpamAssassin did not work well
    with a version of Perl that old. Hopefully Solaris 9 has a Perl newer
    than V 5.005_03. I put my newer Perl in /opt/perl.
    --
    Tom Schulz
    com

  5. #5

    John Schmidt <biz> wrote:

    I checked the install/depend files for Solaris 9 8/03 to see which
    stuff actually depends on the perl packages as of today. Besides
    stuff like iPlanet, Apache, Gnome and sendmail it also revealed
    SUNWesu (Extended System Utilities), which includes things like
    diff, sort, nawk and the proc tools.

    SUNWesu is in the "Minimal Core System Support" cluster, therefore
    SUNWpl5u/SUNWpl5v are, too, so I guess Sun's perl installation can
    be seen as a strictly required package nowadays anyway. The FAQ
    entry might need an update.

    mp.

  6. #6

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 02:15:53 +0000, Thomas Schulz wrote:

    ...snip

    Solaris 9 has perl 5.6. I have been using this with SpamAssassin without
    problems. I had to load several modules from CPAN. It is not perfect,
    but it does work well. I found one module, used by Razor, that failed to
    compile.

    Alex Moore
    Alex Guest

  7. #7

    In article <tDohb.37891$A%news.verio.net>,
    com (Thomas Schulz) writes:
    [...]

    $ uname -a
    SunOS mindwarp 5.9 Generic_112233-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-100
    $ /usr/perl5/bin/perl -v

    This is perl, v5.6.1 built for sun4-solaris-64int
    [additional output omitted]

    --
    mailto:net http://www.smart.net/~rlhamil
    Richard Guest

  8. #8

    "scott.micciche" <net> wrote in message news:<highlands.net>...

    It sounds like what you're really asking is, "how can I build perl
    modules with gcc when the perl package was built with forte?".

    The answer is Solaris-GCC by Alan Burlison, available on CPAN
    (http://search.cpan.org).

    Regards,

    Dan
    Daniel Guest