Professional Web Applications Themes

CRASH WITH INSTALLATION!! - Mac Applications & Software

OK ... Im guessing that you have one of the following problems there ... 1. A corrupted Finder Prefs file. (Chuck it in the trash, reboot and a new one will be created) 2. An extension conflict. Try booting with extensions off (Hold down the Shift key when you boot) and see if its still unstable. If not ... most likely you have either a conflict occurring between extensions that are loaded, or a corrupted extension preference file or something like that. 3. A corrupted font file - eating up your memory. (Trash it if you can find it ... ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: CRASH WITH INSTALLATION!!

    OK ... Im guessing that you have one of the following problems there ...

    1. A corrupted Finder Prefs file. (Chuck it in the trash, reboot and a
    new one will be created)

    2. An extension conflict. Try booting with extensions off (Hold down the
    Shift key when you boot) and see if its still unstable. If not ... most
    likely you have either a conflict occurring between extensions that are
    loaded, or a corrupted extension preference file or something like that.

    3. A corrupted font file - eating up your memory. (Trash it if you can
    find it ... there used to be a PD ware utility out there that checked
    font files for corruption, but I've forgotten its name. Anyone?)

    4. A sick puppy of a disk ... desktop may be corrupted, disk sectors may
    be corrupted, directories may be corrupted. (Rebuild the DeskTop - see
    how to do it under Mac Help, and if that doesn't fix it give the disk a
    going over with ... in my order of preference ... Disk Warrior from
    Alsoft, TechTool Pro, Nortons Disk Doctor and/or Apple's freebie Disk
    First Aid. Disk First Aid only corrects basic disk problems ... anything
    remotely technical and you'll need one of the other three.

    If this is the problem it points to the fact that you should be doing
    REGULAR maintenance on your hard disk anyway. Somone once explained the
    problem to me by pointing out that the tolerances on a hard disk are
    similar to the flying of a Jumbo jet around the world at the height of
    one inch ... and that often bad single bits are inadvertently written to
    the hard disk no matter what you do. In 99% of cases these bad writes
    affect nothing ... but in 1% of cases they do bad things when they're
    written to the wrong places.

    5. A seriously sick puppy of a disk. Back up all your data files, boot
    from a floppy or System CD, and reformat the puppy. Reinstall the System
    Software from the System Restore CD, reinstall your applications, copy
    your data files back onto the hard disk.

    6. Worst case scenario ... a hard disk in the process of hardware
    failure. It happens ... but is unliklier than the other alternatives
    mentioned above ... and if so there's no way around it but to replace
    the hard disk.

    On your other questions, technically the Finder is an application, and
    many installers temporarily shut it down when installing software. It
    reboots spontaneously after the install process. Many installers also do
    a basic disk check before they install the software ... and if they
    don't like what they find they won't proceed with the install.

    Do me a favour, and even if the problem is one of the early ones do some
    regular maintenance on your hard disk, invest in a utility package that
    can do same (any of the one's I mentioned would do the trick), rebuild
    your DeskTop once a month (it only takes about 5 minutes maximum) and
    treat the Mac like you do your car. They're both expoensive complicated
    bits of machinery. :)

    Regards,

    In article <google.com>,

    Frank Guest

  2. #2

    Computadora Girl <com> wrote:

    Your CD-ROM drive might be defective. Does it have any problem
    reading other CDs, such as a music CD? If the CD-ROM/DVD drive
    is dirty, you might try running a cleaning disc through it. You
    can buy these discs at any computer store.

    As for the Epson software, if your Mac has Internet accesss,
    it might be easier to just download the software from Epson's
    web site directly to your Mac, then install it that way. You
    might also get more recent software that way.

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the suggestions!! I've since remedied the problem.....
    I trashed my finder prefs, and actually checked off/enabled the
    "simple
    finder" feature.. One or both of those things helped, and I was
    able to install using an installer!!

    Frank O'Connor <net.au> wrote in message news:<bigpond.net.au>... [/ref]
    Computadora Guest