Professional Web Applications Themes

Crazy CPU Usage from Shockwave - Macromedia Flash Player

When I open a page that has the following in the html: object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" then my CPU usage goes to nearly 100% and stays there until I close the page. The reason I need to open these pages is because the shockwave objects/controls have audio that I?m listening to (not movies). Does anyone have any ideas on why or what to configure so that CPU usage stays normal when opening these pages. The CPU usage problem starts the minute I open a page -- even before clicking on the controls that play the audio. The problem goes away the instant ...

  1. #1

    Default Crazy CPU Usage from Shockwave

    When I open a page that has the following in the html: object
    type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
    then my CPU usage goes to nearly 100% and stays there until I close the page.

    The reason I need to open these pages is because the shockwave
    objects/controls have audio that I?m listening to (not movies).

    Does anyone have any ideas on why or what to configure so that CPU usage stays
    normal when opening these pages.

    The CPU usage problem starts the minute I open a page -- even before clicking
    on the controls that play the audio. The problem goes away the instant I click
    the "X" button on the upper right corner of the browser to close the page (both
    Firefox 1.5 and IE7).

    This is driving me crazy because I need to listen to this audio for its
    educational content.

    Thanks for any help.

    Robearto Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Crazy CPU Usage from Shockwave

    The only thing I can seem to dig up that helped was lowering the frame rate
    from 30 to 15. This cut back a bit. There are some other small optimization
    tricks that slightly help but none of them seem to be a real solution.

    There are a few articles which are out of date stating that flash player uses
    100% of the available CPU until it is called on by another application. I did
    some tests with applications running and a flash website running in a browser
    and as I quit the applications the browser did start to take up more CPU. It
    seems like there is some truth in this.

    When I download the Flash Player 8 & 9 security.pdf it goes into saying that
    Flash player has now created quotas on what the amount of memory and CPU it
    will use. So that negated this thought.

    So basically I came up with a whole lot of nothing. It is exceptionally hard
    to test this stuff and the effect it will have on peoples computers in a live
    environment with no doentation or answers to this.

    IF ANYONE has an answer to this it would be greatly appreciated.

    David Jedd Guest

  3. #3

    David, thank's for posting. What I've found is that when I use a Flash blocker (Firefox extension), the problem goes away. That's not a real solution, of course, just helps to clarify the problem.
    Robearto Guest

  4. #4

    After upgrading my video drivers, system bios, running endless diagnostics,
    virus and spyware checks, my latest update (thanks to someone on the Nvidia
    support site) is that the problem turns out to be easy to solve for IE but not
    for Firefox.

    According to the following article from the Adobe site, Active X needs to be
    turned on for flash to work properly in IE.

    [url]http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled...11#install_win[/url]

    ?4. Security level: Your Internet Explorer security level may be set to High
    or a custom level which does not allow viewing of ActiveX controls. ... the
    Medium: Default Level will allow you to view Flash content. For any Custom
    Level, ensure that both "Download Signed ActiveX controls" and "Run ActiveX
    controls and plug-ins" are not disabled. (Enable or Prompt will work)."

    So that?s the solution for getting IE to work normally. But unfortunately,
    that doesn't solve the problem for Firefox. Firefox doesn?t use ActiveX in the
    first place. Whatever the equivalent is for Firefox, it simply doesn?t work ?
    at least not on my computer. There may be some other configuration setting
    somewhere that makes it work, but if there is one, then I?m at a loss to figure
    it out. If I ever find out what it is, then I?ll record it here for others.

    Robearto Guest

  5. #5

    Trying to watch film from [url]www.sf-anytime.no[/url] using flashplayer. Everything works, but CPU usage is 100% all the time....
    othernameswheretaken Guest

  6. #6

    Disabling hardware acceleration for Shockwave Flash (10.3) made a huge difference for me .. WinXP/Firefox 6.0.1 ... (right-click on a video in your browser and select settings)

    Quote Originally Posted by Robearto View Post
    When I open a page that has the following in the html: object
    type="application/x-shockwave-flash"
    then my CPU usage goes to nearly 100% and stays there until I close the page.
    Unregistered Guest

  7. #7

    Hi, I was having this problem all the time when watching in multimedia online: shockwave would hog cpu on any browser and jack up my fan speed to ~6200. I right clicked the video under local storage under settings changed the storage capacity from 100kb to unlimited. I am now running youtube at a clam and peaceful 1800rpm, and hopefully this will be a permanent fix.
    Lucretius Guest

  8. #8

    Thank you unregistered and Lucretius. Tips worked.
    Unregistered Guest