Professional Web Applications Themes

Create a Report Web Service on a server - ASP.NET Web Services

Iím trying to post a Crystal Report as a web service. Here are the steps Iím following: 1. In Visual Studio, from the File menu, point to New, and click Project. 2. In the New Project dialog box, select the Project Type on the left pane and ASP.NET Web Service on the right pane. 3. Enter the name and location of the project. 4. In the Solution Explorer, right-click the project name, point to Add and select Add Existing Item from the shortcut menu. 5. In the Add Existing Item dialog box, select the report you want to add. When ...

  1. #1

    Default Create a Report Web Service on a server

    Iím trying to post a Crystal Report as a web service. Here are the
    steps Iím following:

    1. In Visual Studio, from the File menu, point to New, and click
    Project.
    2. In the New Project dialog box, select the Project Type on the left
    pane and ASP.NET Web Service on the right pane.
    3. Enter the name and location of the project.
    4. In the Solution Explorer, right-click the project name, point to Add
    and select Add Existing Item from the shortcut menu.
    5. In the Add Existing Item dialog box, select the report you want to
    add. When you add the report, a source file is generated.
    6. Right-click report in the Solution Explorer and select Publish as Web
    service from the shortcut menu.
    7. Select Build from the Build menu to build and make the Report Web
    Service for the report available on the specified host. The Report Web
    Service is displayed in the Server Explorer under Web Services.

    The problem is in step 6. I do not see a ďPublish as Web ServiceĒ
    option. Is there something Iím missing? Or is there a different way of
    doing this. All I really want is to be able to display a report on the
    web from a VB.net app

    Thank

    James Bletsch
    Olmsted County ISC

    The steps were found at:
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/crystlm[/url]
    n/html/crtskcreatingreportwebservicesonaserver.asp

    jBletsch Guest

  2. #2

    Default RE: Create a Report Web Service on a server

    Hi James,

    When we public a web service, we actrually publis the .asmx file and .dll
    (in the Bin folder) to the web directory. For a simple sample on web
    service, you may refer to:

    HOW TO: Run a SQL Server Data Transformation Services Package from Visual
    Basic
    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315661[/url]

    Additionally, to display a report on an web from, you need to create an
    ASP.NET web project. And you can use this article as a sample:

    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q319264[/url]

    Hope this help,

    Luke
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! [url]www.microsoft.com/security[/url]
    rights.)

    MSFT Guest

  3. #3

    Hi James,

    I was reviewing your issue when I noticed that my post does not answer your
    question. Please pardon my mistake.

    Crystal Reports is supported by Crystal Decisions. I found an article on
    their site which describes this feature. It even has a screen shot showing
    the menu option you described. However, I was not able to find information
    on why that menu item might be missing.

    I suggest that you try Crystal Decisions' searchable knowledge base, or
    their forum, or open an incident with them (owners of Visual Studio get two
    free Crystal Decisions incidents).

    * Crystal Decisions web site: [url]http://www.crystaldecisions.com/[/url]
    * Crystal Decisions support (including searchable knowledge base):
    [url]http://support.crystaldecisions.com/[/url]
    * Crystal Decisions forum for peer assistance:
    [url]http://support.crystaldecisions.com/forums/[/url]

    100368 HOWTO: Get Help with Crystal Reports - International and U.S.
    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?id=100368[/url]