Professional Web Applications Themes

Create icons in PS - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

I can do amazing things in Photoshop but not, apparently, create icons. Is this correct?...

  1. #1

    Default Create icons in PS

    I can do amazing things in Photoshop but not, apparently, create icons. Is this correct?
    Bob Pierce Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Create icons in PS

    you can create the design for your icons in photoshop, you just cant save them as a icon. but you can find plenty of free stuff on the web to do that for you.

    Actualy im not sure about what im about to sugest, but hoepfully some one here may point us in the right direction. But perhaps you can just save your icon as a bmp and change the extension name, this knida things doesnt normaly work, but worth a try. Any one out there know??
    Thee_DarkOverLord Guest

  3. #3

    Might want to check out
    [url]http://www.axialis.com/axiconsc.html[/url]
    Axialis IconWorkshop

    Ed Wiser Guest

  4. #4

    I created my icon in Photoshop 32x32 pixels, and pasted it into MS Paint. Saved it as a 16 bit bitmap .ico.

    Play with it, maybe you can get the results you want.

    If you want a background on your icon, give it a black border. it won't show the border, but it'll retain the background.

    PS. Change it to indexed color and select 24 colors, flatten it and copy/paste it into Paint.
    Ed A. Ortiz Guest

  5. #5

    Check out IconBuilder XP <http://www.iconfactory.com/ibxp_home.asp>, an icon plug-in for Photoshop. It allows you to create an icon using all the power of Photoshop and then save the results as a true ICO file (any size and color depth, traditional or XP).
    Trevor Morris Guest

  6. #6

    Try this,

    After you make the icon, change it to indexed color, I just select (system windows) it'll be 256 colors, then save it as a .BMP.

    Now, go to where you saved the icon and change the file extension to .ICO.
    Ed A. Ortiz Guest

  7. #7

    I seem to recall that that approach can cause problems ed. I don't remember what they were though! :)

    "I read that it had some serious side effects. I can't remember any of them, or else I could be informative. But at least I can be alarmist."
    - Dave Foley
    dave milbut Guest

  8. #8

    TDO,

    Here's what I'd do:

    I'd go to where you saved the icon and change the file extension to .ICO.

    :)
    Ed A. Ortiz Guest

  9. #9

    Dave,

    I guess the best thing I can do is cross that bridge when I get there. (shrug)

    Thanks for the heads up.:)
    Ed A. Ortiz Guest

  10. #10

    WHAT?!! Work? We don't need no stinking work! (My boss and boss' boss are out today!)
    dave milbut Guest

  11. #11

    Re: ICO files are not simply renamed BMP files

    <snip />
    On occasion, you may come across files which have a .ICO extension that are
    not true icons. These are usually simple bitmap files which have simply been
    renamed by persons who are unaware of the differences in file format
    specifications. Some systems will actually display these files as icon-like
    images, but they also will cause problems under some Windows versions. If
    you come across such a file, and have problems accessing it, you should try
    renaming the extension from .ICO to .BMP and importing the image. Since such
    files do not contain true transparency or other icon attributes, you will
    have to edit and use File/Save As to create an icon in true ICO format.

    from
    [url]http://www.cursorarts.com/help/icon/glossary.htm[/url]

    --
    Regards