Professional Web Applications Themes

Creating a fake video screen shot... - Adobe Photoshop Mac CS, CS2 & CS3

I am trying to create an effect on images that would simulate what an image would look like if you photographed it on tv. I have come close to achieving the effect using the texturizer filter, using the bricks, but it is not quite right. Since the scale will only go down to 50% the lines of texture are too big. Any ideas on how to create this effect? I am using Photoshop CS. Thanks!...

  1. #1

    Default Creating a fake video screen shot...

    Marty_Maxwell@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Creating a fake video screen shot...

    Duplicate the layer. Go to filter>sketch>halftone pattern, select 'lines' as the pattern type. (you may want to have B/W as the foreground/background color)

    Try different blend modes with the layers until you see something you like.

    OR

    You could create a custom pattern of horizontal lines, and apply that via layer styles, with the pattern set to some wierd blend mode.
    JasonSmith@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    To add to Jason's tip... once you create the halftone patern lines (on a separate layer) run the spherize distort filter to push the middle out a bit. This will simulate the older, curved TV screens.

    There are filters that simulate TV effects also... do a Google.
    Paul_Hokanson@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Ohh, that would be cool.

    That gave me another idea - on the duplicate halftoned layer, try this:

    Go to the channels palette, select each channel and offset by a pixel or two - faux ps out of convergence effect.
    JasonSmith@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Marty,

    Paul mentioned filters to accomplish this. Here's one: <http://www.alienskin.com/xx2/xx2_filters.html>

    Click the drop down menu and select "Television".
    Shep@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Both of Jason's ideas will work great. A small distinction that may or may not matter
    to you: The halftone sketch filter produces an opaque layer - both lines and "space
    between" are pixels. By contrast, you can make a pattern so that the space between
    is transparent. This is not significant because opacity controls and blend modes will
    help you precisely control what happens to both, but I recall having to use a pattern
    once for precisely this reason (and CAN'T even remember what the illustration was!
    Just that I needed transparency between the lines! Memory's shot!)
    Doug_Katz@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Shep-

    I downloaded the Television filters and they will not work on either PS 7 or PS CS. The error message says "could not complete television command b/c of a program error". Just wondering if you had any problems???

    thanks a lot
    Marty_Maxwell@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Don't know what to tell you on that one Marty. It works fine for me; PS7.0.1. I thought that perhaps they disabled that filter on the demo version, but I checked the site and it says fully functional for 30 days, so that's not the case. Do the other Xenofex filters work?

    Maybe re-install it or redownload and re-install. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Shep@adobeforums.com Guest