Professional Web Applications Themes

creating a shader 'fullbright' ? - Macromedia Director 3D

I'm still messing around with the shaders, but I havn't been able to find the correct combination yet.. I'd like to be able to make a shader that is fullbright, meaning that no lights or ambient lighting effects it, it just is constantly 100% bright with no visible shading. I thought I had it working using the #replace blendfunction, but it doesnt seem to be working. and Emissive doesnt seem to give the effect I'm looking for either, but maybe I just have a few settings wrong, any ideas? thanks :]...

  1. #1

    Default creating a shader 'fullbright' ?

    kemical webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: creating a shader 'fullbright' ?

    Actually, making the emissivewhite is what you do to make a textured shader self illuminated. If you have no texture, then you must make your emissive the color that you want the shader to be, and make your diffuse black (I think I got that right, it's been a while...)

    Jon Huhn webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    I've just started playing around with Director MX a few days ago, and needed a 100% self-illuminated shader as well. After a few tries I've been able to find something that works (at least for me :P ) :

    member("scene").newshader("myShader",#standard)
    member("scene").shader[2].emissive = rgb(255,255,255)

    Not only that ; you also have to turn off any light in your scene - I mean the default light too. When you select your 3D scene cast member in the Cast, on the right panel you can see the lighting parameters in the "3D Model" tab. Make sure you set "Light" to "None".

    I've set the Directional, Ambient and Diffuse light colors to white too, but maybe this isn't necessary (I think what's important is to turn off the light and make your shader's emissive color white).

    I hope it helps ! :)

    Pezito webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    Yes it is the way.

    A graphic artist can also setup a self-illuminated material in 3DS Max and
    it will be exported in the W3D file.

    Of course, the less the scene bright, the more the emissive color of a model
    is visible.

    It can be seen with a scene where one side is lit and the other is in the
    dark. Self-illuminated objects "glow" in the dark while they appear no
    different than others in full light.

    Karl Sigiscar Guest

  5. #5

    Karl is this how the Samuri SW3D that you linked a few weeks ago was made?

    Thanks
    Rob
    "Karl Sigiscar" <karl.sigiscarlaposte.net> wrote in message
    > Yes it is the way.
    >
    > A graphic artist can also setup a self-illuminated material in 3DS Max and
    > it will be exported in the W3D file.
    >
    > Of course, the less the scene bright, the more the emissive color of a
    model
    > is visible.
    >
    > It can be seen with a scene where one side is lit and the other is in the
    > dark. Self-illuminated objects "glow" in the dark while they appear no
    > different than others in full light.

    Rob Guest

  6. #6

    I don't know exactly how these talented Japanese graphic artists and
    developers set up their scene.

    But I believe they indeed set up the emissive color of their material to
    white and disabled the specularity of lightsources.

    But the main trick in the samuraļ example is how the graphic artist created
    the textures to give that cartoon look to his models.

    Karl.

    Karl Sigiscar Guest