Professional Web Applications Themes

Creating a Site Map - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Is there a way to "automatically," or at least easily, create a site map for a web site created in DreamWeaver or must a site map be built manually like a "normal" page? By Site Map I am referring to a page which organizes the site structure for a visitor and provides links to the pages which are listed. Many sites have such site maps available as a navigational tool for visitors. I was hoping there was a way to create such a site map on the fly and automatically change it as you add or delete pages or make ...

  1. #1

    Default Creating a Site Map

    Is there a way to "automatically," or at least easily, create a site map for a web site created in DreamWeaver or must a site map be built manually like a "normal" page? By Site Map I am referring to a page which organizes the site structure for a visitor and provides links to the pages which are listed. Many sites have such site maps available as a navigational tool for visitors. I was hoping there was a way to create such a site map on the fly and automatically change it as you add or delete pages or make organizational changes to a site. Doing this manually for a heavily maintained site is diffult. Any easy way out? Thanks.

    Doug_West webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Creating a Site Map

    Sam: Thanks for your help. It looks like a great tool. I did, however, fail to mention one thing -- I am working on a Mac platform and I believe Xenu is for PCs. It looks great, but are you aware of anything similar that runs on a Mac? Just for future reference, I am also running DW 3.0 and System 8.6. Thanks again.

    Doug_West webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    for mac- these are some odd ones maybe-

    bbedit full version can create a site map- links to files in any
    folder/subfolder. Builds in <ul> list format.

    PageSpinner (shareware) will do the same using an applescript. <ul> list
    format. Can include/exclude file types, and link using filenames, or Page
    Title.

    Where you're running 8.6- you may be able to find older versions of
    PageSpinner on a mac ftp archive somewhere ... they'd be evaluation timed
    trials. The sitemap script is in the sample applescript folder, if i
    remember. Or maybe the Goodies folder.
    [url]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=pagespinner+.hqx+%22index[/url]
    +of+%2F%22

    home site of PageSpinner:
    [url]http://www.optima-system.com/[/url]
    There's a free trial of current version i think.
    It's handy for the shareware price- it's what i learned html with.
    In terms of Windows software- it's like HomeSite from Allaire/Macromedia.
    Code based editor with helper assistant wizards for some things.

    and there's always brute force-
    Open the folder in the finder. Select all, copy.
    Paste into text editor or dw.
    Mac will paste the filenames...
    Use text editor tools to wrangle the file listing into links.

    I'm sure there's other widgets out there....
    > Sam: Thanks for your help. It looks like a great tool. I did, however, fail
    > to mention one thing -- I am working on a Mac platform and I believe Xenu is
    > for PCs. It looks great, but are you aware of anything similar that runs on a
    > Mac? Just for future reference, I am also running DW 3.0 and System 8.6.
    > Thanks again.

    Certified Dreamweaver MX Developer

    Alan Ames Guest

  4. #4

    Sam: Thanks for the two options. I visited both sites you recommended and downloaded the compressed javascript file from the helsinki site. But it is in a .jar format. I am not familiar with that and do not know how to decompress it. Any suggestions? On the other suggestion from the netroglycerine site, I used the cgi which sniffed the site online and returned the html file showing the links, etc. I can edit it and develop a site map from that as you suggested, but as you can imagine, it is a little bersome. Still, it is a better solution than doing everything by hand in DW.

    Thanks again for your help. Doug

    Doug_West webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    Alan: thanks for the PageSpinner suggestion. I visited the site, but have not yet tried to track down an earlier version that will run under System 8.6. I will certainly try to do that. I know there must be tools to build site maps since they are so common, and I appreciate the suggestions of others through forums like this. Thanks again for your help. Doug

    Doug_West webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest