Professional Web Applications Themes

Creating a Star in Illustrator with blending - Help needed! - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hi All, I am trying to recreate a bitmap logo (created in Photoshop) in Illustrator and I can't work out how to do it. The effect that I want to achieve can be seen here: <http://www.nbdglobal.com.au/> What I want is the technique to create the central red star shape in this logo. Any help for a newbie to Illustrator would be appreciated.:-) Thanks Jeremy...

  1. #1

    Default Creating a Star in Illustrator with blending - Help needed!

    Peter_Jeremy_Dixon@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Peter, before second thought I would:

    1. Starting at X, = 0,0 create a horizontal straight path (Pen Tool), length as between outer and inner radius (which are not 2:1),
    2. Copy and (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+F) move (add W value to X) so the second path is at end of first,
    3. Alt+Click with the Rotate Tool at start of second path, enter 360/7 (degrees),
    4. Drag with Direct Select Tool across the coinciding end points and Ctrl+J to join into one path,
    5. With the Pen Tool, click open end points to close path (now you have the basic triangle),
    6. Object>Transform>Reflect horizontally, clicking Copy,
    7. Move reflexion by inserting negative H value a Y (in Transform) (now you have basic star part),
    8. Select both triangles, Alt+Click with the Rotate Tool at 0,0, enter 360/7 (again) tick Copy,
    9. Ctrl+D to repeat 5 times (now you have the star with individual triangles),
    10. In the bottom of the Tools palette, choose Gradient fill and adjust angle to fit your wish (the web page you refer to has a number of different angles).
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Peter,

    One other way that you may want to check out would be to create the star using the star tool. Pushing up on the arrow key increases the number of points, and holding shift locks the proportion and angle. Then use the line tool to draw your intersections, then the pathfinder to divide the star up. Should only take about 1 to 2 minutes. Then as Jacob said, use the gradient fill to suit for each individual section. I recreated it in about 4 minutes total.

    Jonathan
    Jonathan_McClintic@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    1. Star Tool: Drag to create a star. Give it a fill color that you can see.

    2. Object>Path>Add Anchor Points. This adds one anchor point in the middle of each segment.

    3. DirectSelect the added points. (You can click them individually, or use the Lasso.)

    4. Object>Path>Average. Select the Both option and click OK.

    5. Edit>Cut. This cuts each of the selected points to the clipboard, along with its two associated segments. All that is left behind are the unselected outer points. Press Delete to remove the stray points.

    6. Edit>Paste In Front. The V-shaped, 2-segment paths are pasted back in at the same place. These have fills, but are open paths. If you want them closed, select each one by clicking its fill and Ctrl-J. (The Join command closes a normalSelected open path.)

    For another possibility based on a variation of this, see this PDF:

    <http://www.IllustrationETC.com/AIbuds/SweepStars.pdf>

    You might also find this similar thing interesting:

    <http://www.IllustrationETC.com/AIbuds/PathScripts/PathScriptsDiamond.pdf>

    or...

    1. Star Tool: Drag to create a star, but keep the mouse pressed down. Press the up or down arrow keys to adjust the number of points to six. When you see six points, press the Shift key to constrain the star to a vertical orientation. Then mouseup.

    2. Attributes Palette: Turn on the Show Center button to display the star's center point.

    3. Polar Grid Tool: ClickDrag the star's centerpoint, but keep the mouse pressed down. Press the down arrow key until there is only one circle. Press the left/right arrow key until there are 12 spokes. When you have 12 spokes, press Shift to constrain to vertical and continue the drag until the outer circle is a little beyond the points of the star. (The spokes should be bisecting all the points of the star.) Then mouseup.

    4. Select both the star and the spokes. Pathfinder Palette: Click the Divide icon. Ungroup. Select and delete the unwanted paths.

    JET
    James_Talmage@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Well, Jonathan and James,

    Obviously you can make a star with the Star Tool, but as I mentioned in the first post, the proportion between outer and inner radius is not 2:1.

    To have the same angles at the centre and at the outer diameter as in the original figure (in other words with identical side lengths in inner and outer parts), the Star Tool inner radius must be set to 1/2*(cos(180/7)), (with the angle in degrees), in other words 0.555 times the outer radius; the proportion is 1.8019:1.

    With the the first post building of the triangles you work with the obvious angle 360/7 and ensure identical angles/side lengths everywhere in a simple manner, without half angle trigonometry, directly transferable to other numbers of points.

    So, even on second thought I would stay with the first post method, especially in helping a self declared newbie to make a seven star without his having to ask how to make a five star or an N star later.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Double click on the tool you need to manipulate. Then change it as YOU need too. It isn't worth any of our $75 an hour time to be that specific. So get over it. Thanks Jacob ;P----*.
    Jonathan_McClintic@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Hey Jacob:

    I copied the original star and decided to figure out how I would do it later. It only took a few minutes so I came back here to look at this thread, and your description is exactly what I did. Usually simple and straightforward is better. I don't think the original was consistent relative to light source position. steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Hi Steve, it was a great pleasure to read your post, even more than usual.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Hey Guys,

    Wonderful!!