Professional Web Applications Themes

Creating PDFs from Freehand - Macromedia Freehand

Okay. I am a newbie to Freehand. Needing to use it for a project because the customer has it and wants to be able to work with it in the future, though I've never used it before this project. So please bear with my ignorance. I have a file (letterhead) that's basically set to go with all the graphics, etc.. I save the file as "an editable eps" and then drag that file to Distiller and it distills it, but then it changes the dimensions of the letterhead. It's supposed to be an A4 letterhead and it cuts off the ...

  1. #1

    Default Creating PDFs from Freehand

    Okay. I am a newbie to Freehand. Needing to use it for a project because the
    customer has it and wants to be able to work with it in the future, though I've
    never used it before this project. So please bear with my ignorance.

    I have a file (letterhead) that's basically set to go with all the graphics,
    etc.. I save the file as "an editable eps" and then drag that file to
    Distiller and it distills it, but then it changes the dimensions of the
    letterhead. It's supposed to be an A4 letterhead and it cuts off the bottom
    half entirely (I assume because there is no graphic there???). How would I
    override something like that?

    Another problem I am having is that everything comes out as 4 color, though
    it's supposed to be a 2 color doent. Is there a way to change that setting
    as well?

    I'm on a Mac using OSX and using Freehand 10.

    I appreciate any help.

    heyfrito Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Creating PDFs from Freehand

    heyfrito wrote:

    An EPS exports objects only, not page info. You can control the size of an
    EPS by including a no stroke/no fill rectangle in the size and position of
    your FH page edges.

    Make sure your two ink colors are in the color list and defined as spot
    inks. Remove other colors in the doent.

    If you export to EPS, choose the RGB color mode.

    My preferred method is to print to a Postscript file targeted to the Adobe
    PDF printer.

    1. In FH, set Print Setup for output to Adobe PDF, and select desired paper
    size.

    2. In the Print dialog, select Adobe PDF as printer. Select Output/Save As
    File/Postscript. I believe this has changed slightly under Tiger OS, but you
    should be able to find it.

    3. In the FreeHand Print Settings/Advanced/Separations, make sure the Adobe
    PDF PPD is being used, check composite, and make sure only your two spot ink
    colors are showing in the color separations list.

    4. Distill the resulting PS file with Press Quality settings. When opened in
    Acrobat Pro, you can use Separations Preview to check that the spot inks are
    correct.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  3. #3

    Definitely PRINT TO PDF!!
    Don't export to PDF, it often causes problems if it wasn't made with Adobe. This works great for MS Word too!
    davidc@proschools.com Guest

  4. #4

    I always print to a postscript file which I keep in a 'Watched Folder' this way Distiller converts it to PDF automatically.
    John Guest

  5. #5

    Okay everyone thanks for your help. I'll follow these tips and hopefully everything will work out fine.

    Thanks again!
    heyfrito Guest

  6. #6

    Definitely "Export as PDF". I know you can do this in version 11, and pretty
    sure you can in 10. Just make sure you check the settings (page range, amount
    of compression, etc.). Not sure about the 2-color conversion--I think it does
    indeed change everything to either 4-color or RGB.

    I use this feature every single day (for client proofing) and it works
    flawlessly. I suggest that you then open the PDF in Acrobat (if you have the
    full version), where you can then "Reduce File Size".

    Good luck,
    Bob
    www.gobrainstorm.com

    gobrainstorm Guest