Professional Web Applications Themes

Creating PDFs, part colour, part B&W doent - Adobe Indesign Windows

I produce a paper which, when finished, a commercial desktop printing company downloads by ftp, and prints it out. It is A3 folded to A4, 16 pages. The client has requested that he wants pages 1&2, 15&16 printed in colour. I produce the whole doent in colour - so when I have the content signed off it looks as though I will then have to convert all the images of pages 3-14 to greyscale, before I make the pdf. Or is there a simpler way of achieving this? Responses appreciated; thanks in advance. I'm using In Design 3.0.1, Windows XP ...

  1. #1

    Default Creating PDFs, part colour, part B&W doent

    I produce a paper which, when finished, a commercial desktop printing company downloads by ftp, and prints it out.

    It is A3 folded to A4, 16 pages. The client has requested that he wants pages 1&2, 15&16 printed in colour.

    I produce the whole doent in colour - so when I have the content signed off it looks as though I will then have to convert all the images of pages 3-14 to greyscale, before I make the pdf. Or is there a simpler way of achieving this?

    I'm using In Design 3.0.1, Windows XP (Service Pack2), Toshiba laptop. And I'm in New Zealand (if that's relevant!)

    Jacqui
    Jacqui_Knight@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    The simpler way is to produce the paper the way it will be printed. Why
    would you use color knowing that it will be B/W?

    That said, there are two possibilities I'd explore with the printer.

    1. Two separate files. You'll need to manually page number the cover
    sheet. In fact, I'd simply design it as a two sided doent. The inside
    of the paper could be continue to be designed the way you are. Start
    page numbering at page 3.

    2. One file properly designed with color on the four pages and grayscale
    on the others. Export as CMYK to PDF with the understanding that the CMY
    plates for pages 3-14 will not be used.

    Bob
    Bob_Levine Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Creating PDFs, part colour, part B&W doent

    Thanks for that Bob,

    The difficulty is that, as with any newspaper, I don't know the exact placement of the files until the paper is "done". A story on teh front page would be colour, but then it might get bumped off with late breaking news, to a B&W page. Therefore, I will keep all photographs in colour until the paper is "done" - then I will need to go back and convert all photographs, logos in adverts etc on the B&W pages to greyscale.

    I believe that the printer will want one file. So it sounds like option 2 is the best idea, but I don't understand what you mean "export as CMYK to pdf etc".

    Thanks for this response.
    Jacqui_Knight@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Have you spoken to the printer. He may well be able to convert the CMYK
    to grayscale for you.

    Bob
    Bob_Levine Guest

  5. #5

    Jacqui,

    the printer CAN convert color in PDF pages to grayscale,
    if he has a program for this purpose: probably Pitstop,
    definitely Quite a Box of Tricks.
    Unfortunately, such a conversion doesn't deliver the same
    quality as a tweaked grayscale K-only image by PhS.

    Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann
    Gernot_Hoffmann@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Thank you for your suggestions - much appreciated.