Professional Web Applications Themes

Creating Quick Vector Images from Raster images - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hi ! I am aware of the conventional methods to create vector images from raster images, i.e. drawing the lines individually, then adding gradients. I am wondering if there is a command in Illustrator that will allow me to create vector images quicker. An example scenario would be : - i have an image of a female - i need to create a quick vector illustration from this image - once the vector is created, i will export it to be used in Flash - client does not like it, needs adjustments - it takes time to re-draw basically, i ...

  1. #1

    Default Creating Quick Vector Images from Raster images

    Hi !

    I am aware of the conventional methods to create vector images from raster images, i.e. drawing the lines individually, then adding gradients. I am wondering if there is a command in Illustrator that will allow me to create vector images quicker. An example scenario would be :

    - i have an image of a female
    - i need to create a quick vector illustration from this image
    - once the vector is created, i will export it to be used in Flash
    - client does not like it, needs adjustments
    - it takes time to re-draw

    basically, i want a quicker way to do it, like the 'Trace Bitmap' function in Flash.

    I am running AI 9 on Win XP Pro.

    Thanks !!

    Scott
    Lim_Meng_Yew@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Hi, sorry I can't help you. But I am awaiting a reply to your question too. I need to do the same thing.

    Mark
    Mark_Vincent@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Scott and Mark,

    As the question is asked ... NO. There is no quick and easy way to convert a raster portrait to a vector image in Illustrator. You CAN use (or try) Adobe StreamLine or CorelTrace for that, but there are strong limitations on how it comes out. For one thing, only 8bit color (256) will result, so all tones will be gone and unless you do considerable work to make the color edges strong prior to taking it to the trace program, there would need to be so much cleanup, it's easier to do it manually. Many have made paths for the colors in PhotoShop, put those into Illustrator and then made the vector image that way. Or, use Illustrator Mesh (not easy and certainly not quickly) and follow Philo Calhoun's method to make a very very strong portrait in vector for a truly great vector image.

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Can you point me to Philo Calhoun's method?

    Rocket

    <BobHilladobeforums.com> wrote in message
    > Scott and Mark,
    >
    > As the question is asked ... NO. There is no quick and easy way to convert
    a raster portrait to a vector image in Illustrator. You CAN use (or try)
    Adobe StreamLine or CorelTrace for that, but there are strong limitations on
    how it comes out. For one thing, only 8bit color (256) will result, so all
    tones will be gone and unless you do considerable work to make the color
    edges strong prior to taking it to the trace program, there would need to be
    so much cleanup, it's easier to do it manually. Many have made paths for the
    colors in PhotoShop, put those into Illustrator and then made the vector
    image that way. Or, use Illustrator Mesh (not easy and certainly not
    quickly) and follow Philo Calhoun's method to make a very very strong
    portrait in vector for a truly great vector image.

    > Bob

    Rocket Guest

  5. #5

    See same post in Photoshop forum
    Christine_Krof_Shock@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    :) thanks, guess i'll have to suffer a bit. might use Flash as a temporal solution.
    Lim_Meng_Yew@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks Bob,
    My situation is a little different than Lim's. Maybe you can help me. What I want to do in take a scan of lets say a business card with a simple logo. What I did was make selections of the text and logo in photoshop and turn them into paths and import to Illustrator 9. Needless to say when you increase magnification all the jagged edges and imperfections show up in the pathes because it was made from a printed copy. Is there a way to make the paths nice and straight and smooth as if it were originally done in Illustrator. I would like to clean up the artwork for reprinting on T-shirts or other products. If this is not in the appropriate thread maybe you could direct me where to post it.

    Thanks,

  8. #8

    Is the logo too complicated to redraw? Why don't you just find out what font the text is? Or is it custom?

    Path/simplify is the one button approach to what you're asking, but I doubt it will provide you with satisfactory results. You best just get in there with the pen and/or direct selection tool and clean things up by hand.
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    That's what I was afraid of. Yes the text is custom drawn so the font doesn't exist and a lot of the logo is the text. Oh well, and of course it's a RUSH job! :-)

  10. #10

    Hi Bob

    Where is the "Philo Calhoun's" method you referred to. I did a forum search on him and can't find what you are referring to (or what I think you are referring to is indeed not at all what you mean... or something?!)

    Thanks

    Latchet
    latchet_mcbride@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Try here <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50.1de5f905.3bb3a081>
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Philo's method is here: <http://teched.vt.edu/gcc/PDFs/PhiloCalhounIllTechnique.PDF> I've not seen better.

  13. #13

    Thanks Blob.
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    "Tim"

    Let the past remain where it is. It serves no purpose perpetuating it.
    John_Kallios@adobeforums.com Guest