Professional Web Applications Themes

Creating Street Maps with Fireworks - Macromedia Fireworks

Hi all, Newbie request!! I'm trying to find some good tutorials on how to create a street map using Fireworks. I guess the "Map" is'nt the important thing here, just figuring out how to achieve different effects to outline building and roads, etc in Fireworks would do. Any info would be really appreciated. regards Will...

  1. #1

    Default Creating Street Maps with Fireworks

    Hi all,

    Newbie request!!
    I'm trying to find some good tutorials on how to create a street map using
    Fireworks.
    I guess the "Map" is'nt the important thing here, just figuring out how to
    achieve different effects to outline building and roads, etc in Fireworks
    would do.

    Any info would be really appreciated.

    regards
    Will

    Will Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Creating Street Maps with Fireworks

    Will wrote:

    Do it the easy way. Scan a real one. :-) If you like, trace it with the
    Pen tool.

    Linda Rathgeber
    Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Linda Guest

  3. #3

    "Will" <net> wrote in message

    I must admit I never created too complex map, just something "how to drive
    to our office" stuff. For that, I normally scanned a real map, the started
    quickly drawing long narrow rectangles for streets and more square
    rectangles for buildings. For buildings of more complex form, I used "punch"
    and similar stuff using several rectangles. Once finished, I choose colors
    for streets and buildings, then place text for street names, then rotated
    what's necessary if it doesn't go exactly vertical or horizontal on real
    map; finally, I've clipped the unnecessary ends of "street" rectangles by
    decreasing the canvas size, so that the streets extend over visible area.
    Then exported as GIF.

    I never used any special effects to outline buildings and roads, just plain
    color fills and thin strokes of slightly different color (normally darker)
    when necessary.

    Ilyich.
    Ilya Razmanov (a.k.a. Ilyich the Toad)
    http://photoshop.msk.ru/ - Photoshop plug-in filters
    "How did I get into this mess? I really don't know how. We
    seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life." - C3PO, Star Wars

    Ilya Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Linda and Ilya,

    Thanks for the help, I was thinking along those lines but I just wasn't 100%
    sure, just need a reassuring shove in the right direction. Thanks again.

    regards
    Will

    "Ilya Razmanov" <ac.ru> wrote in message
    news:btbrqs$oan$macromedia.com... [/ref]
    using [/ref]
    to [/ref]
    Fireworks

    > I must admit I never created too complex map, just something "how to drive
    > to our office" stuff. For that, I normally scanned a real map, the started
    > quickly drawing long narrow rectangles for streets and more square
    > rectangles for buildings. For buildings of more complex form, I used[/ref]
    "punch"
    plain

    Will Guest

  5. #5

    One trick I learned in Illustrator that will probably translate to FW (I say
    probably because FW does not have as much control over how lines turn
    corners) is to layer lines on top of each other. So, for instance, if you
    wanted to have a road shown with a black edge on each side with the middle
    left white for the street name, you would use a really thick black line with
    a slightly thinner white line on top.

    HTH;

    Amy

    "Will" <net> wrote in message
    100% [/ref]
    > using [/ref][/ref]
    how [/ref]
    > Fireworks
    > >
    > > I must admit I never created too complex map, just something "how to[/ref][/ref]
    drive [/ref]
    started
    > "punch" [/ref]
    colors [/ref]
    rotated [/ref]
    by [/ref]
    area.
    > plain [/ref]
    darker)

    Amy Guest

  6. #6

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 06:37:19 -0500, Linda Rathgeber wrote:

    I never dared do that for fear of violating someone's copyright.
    Is it allowed?
    --
    Groet, Adriana.
    [when replying by e-mail, remember: grootpoot is Dutch for bigfoot]

  7. #7

    In article <btc246$3ob$macromedia.com>,
    "Amy Blankenship" <com> wrote:

    That's what I used to do in Illustrator, too--I once made a whole book
    of maps for the Missouri Historical Society. But in FW, give the line a
    white stroke and a black glow with the fuzziness minimized. Or draw the
    road, expand the stroke, fill with white and stroke with black (but then
    you'll no longer be able to edit curves easily).

    --
    Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/

  8. #8

    Lanny,

    Normally I would go to Freehand to create such a map but in FW what I would
    do if you want a road that has a center line of one color with a border on
    each side is the following:

    Use the pen too to create the line - give it the stroke width and color you
    want, no fill. Assuming you are going to create more roads like these, go to
    your Styles panel, click on the upper right hand corner icon and create a
    New Style - call it something descriptive like "Road Thick".
    While you still have the line selected do a Copy and Paste operation. Now
    you have two lines on top of each other. Go the the Properties Panel and
    change the color and width of the stroke to suite your needs. Create a Style
    for this line as well.

    Know you have two Styles that define the look of the road. One for the
    thick line, one for the thin line.
    ..
    If you need to edit a curve:
    Select and delete the thin curve > Modify the thick curve > Do a Copy and
    Paste > Give it the appropiate Style from the style panel to recreate the
    thin line. (It is faster to do this than to explain it)

    Alex

    "Lanny Chambers" <net> wrote in message
    | In article <btc246$3ob$macromedia.com>,
    | "Amy Blankenship" <com> wrote:
    |
    | > So, for instance, if you
    | > wanted to have a road shown with a black edge on each side with the
    middle
    | > left white for the street name, you would use a really thick black line
    with
    | > a slightly thinner white line on top.
    |
    | That's what I used to do in Illustrator, too--I once made a whole book
    | of maps for the Missouri Historical Society. But in FW, give the line a
    | white stroke and a black glow with the fuzziness minimized. Or draw the
    | road, expand the stroke, fill with white and stroke with black (but then
    | you'll no longer be able to edit curves easily).
    |
    | --
    | Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    | http://www.hummingbirds.net/

    Alex Guest

  9. #9

    "Amy Blankenship" <com> wrote in
    message news:btc246$3ob$macromedia.com...
    say
    with

    I think some combination of "glow" effect(s) and proper stoke attributes
    will do, much like Lanny suggested. Howether, for the Web output, I strongly
    prefer very much limited set of colors (that allows me produce compact GIF
    file), plus this set of colors should be different only in terms of
    "brightness", not "chromaticity", because it is likely to be printed using
    regular desktop laserjet (black and white). So I prefer using very few
    *grey* colors for fills and outlines, no glow, no drop shadows, and so on.

    Ilyich.
    Ilya Razmanov (a.k.a. Ilyich the Toad)
    http://photoshop.msk.ru/ - Photoshop plug-in filters
    "Should we interrogate them, Sam? Or just start
    breaking up the furniture?" - Max, Sam and Max "Surfin' the highway"

    Ilya Guest

  10. #10

    Alex Marino wrote:

    Exactly what I was thinking. Both FreeHand MX and Illustrator (since
    version 9) feature multiple atributes on objects (using the Objects
    panel in FH and the Appearance palette in AI). Both can easily create
    paths with multiple strokes of varying thickness and colors and both
    sport much more precise drawing tools that would make it far easier and
    faster to draw maps than doing it in Fireworks.

    Stéphane

    Stéphane Guest

  11. #11

    A.Translator wrote:

    It is if you're a US citizen and using a map supplied by the USGS.

    http://mapping.usgs.gov/partners/viewonline.html

  12. #12

    In article <btcc29$i97$macromedia.com>,
    "Alex Marino" <net> wrote:

    That's exactly how I did it in Illustrator 6. I pasted the two paths in
    different layers, though, so it was easy to follow my editor's changing
    whims in stroke width. :-)

    --
    Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
    http://www.hummingbirds.net/

  13. #13

    On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 14:38:59 -0500, Linda Rathgeber wrote:

    Thanks. I am not a US citizen, but I fear similar laws apply in Europe.
    Good thing, too, when it is your own copyright ;-)

  14. #14

    A.Translator wrote:

    That should have read "It isn't." :-) Most USGS maps can be used without
    restriction by US citizens. We pay for them with our tax money so they
    are in the "public domain."

  15. #15

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 10:19:51 -0500, Linda Rathgeber wrote:

    How very civilized! I am going to see if we have something similar.
    I only know of public area maps, not street maps.
    Thanks for the information!

  16. #16

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 10:19:51 -0500, Linda Rathgeber wrote:

    You were right in the first place:
    My question had been: Is it allowed?
    And you replied: It is.

    You were replying to my first question, but I took it to be in reply of
    'violation copyright'.

  18. #18

    You may also want to look at MS Streets and Trips which will output your
    maps into a neat little web page.

    HTH;

    Amy

    "A.Translator" <com> wrote in message

    > How very civilized! I am going to see if we have something similar.
    > I only know of public area maps, not street maps.
    > Thanks for the information!
    > --
    > Groet, Adriana.
    > [when replying by e-mail, remember: grootpoot is Dutch for bigfoot][/ref]

    Amy Guest

  19. #19

    "Amy Blankenship" <com> wrote in
    message news:bujuis$780$macromedia.com...

    Read the full EULA for the the Streets & Trips package, including the fine
    print.
    -------
    "With each separate license of the Software Product, You may produce and
    post online up to one thousand maps generated by use of the Software
    Product, provided that You do not sell or sublicense such maps.Your use of
    such reproduced maps shall be subject to this EULA. You will retain, and not
    delete or alter, any and all legal notices contained within the maps,
    including, but not limited to, copyright notices."
    -------

    Interestingly, since an upgrade is just a transfer of a license and not a
    new license, it would be possible (in theory) to exceed the 1000 limit over
    the course of multiple versions of the software (depending on how ambitious
    you were).

    For full-n commercial ventures, I assume MS would like to you to license
    their Mappoint technology.

    Cheers,
    Sam

    Sam Guest