Professional Web Applications Themes

Creating symbols with text in Illustrator CS2 - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Is there any way to create a symbol, and keep the text in the symbol as editable when the link is broken to the symbol? I regularly use dots with numbers in them to put on maps, and wanted to create a symbol of a dot with, say, a number 1 inside, that I could then drag out, break the link to, and then change the numbers inside. When I create the symbol, with the number 1 inside, it works while the symbol library is kept open, but if I close the library and re-opn it, the text disapears. If ...

  1. #1

    Default Creating symbols with text in Illustrator CS2

    Is there any way to create a symbol, and keep the text in the symbol as editable when the link is broken to the symbol? I regularly use dots with numbers in them to put on maps, and wanted to create a symbol of a dot with, say, a number 1 inside, that I could then drag out, break the link to, and then change the numbers inside. When I create the symbol, with the number 1 inside, it works while the symbol library is kept open, but if I close the library and re-opn it, the text disapears.
    If I make the text in to outlines, obviously the number is then un-editable.
    I also can't create a symbol for each number, because then I would have to create thousands, ie. 1-100, 1a-100a, 1b-100b etc... etc...!
    If there is no way around it I will just set up a template file that I can copy and paste from. Thanks.
    rebecca_s_thomas@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Creating symbols with text in Illustrator CS2

    This sounds a bit confusing in my ears, Rebecca. What does it mean when you say that the text objects within the symbols disappear after closing and reopening the symbol library? Deleted? Converted to outlines? Or what else?

    Also, are you sure that you saved your symbol collection as a symbol library (through the Symbols Palette Flyout menu or just with the standard Save as command in the File menu)? Cause that would be required to be able to import and use them in other doents. Also, you can store the library in the Presets\Symbols folder (within the AI Programm folder). After relaunching AI it will persistently appear in the Window > Symbol Libraries submenu.

    There are other things that could be mentioned now, but first try to clarify the situation.
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

    Basically I saved the symbols library in the presets symbols folder, closed the doent. Then when I opened a new doent, and reopened the symbols library from the presets folder, the symbols show up, but just as circles, with no text inside them.
    rebecca_s_thomas@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    That's weird. Currently I cannot test it in AI CS 2, but does the same happen when you open the doent that contains the library directly through the File menu instead of opening the library through the Window > Symbol Libraries submenu?
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    The text is still editable in the doents symbols library when I reopn the doent, but the text in the saved symbols library disappears. I needed to save the symbols library so that other people could use it in different doents, and edit the text themselves in their own doents.
    Sorry if this is a bit confusing!
    rebecca_s_thomas@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Rebecca,

    I tried to re-create your problem and you're right about how the text vanishes from the symbols preview after closing and re-opening Illustrator (I am using CS2).

    However, when I place an instance of a symbol onto the artboard the text is there. After breaking the link, the text is editable, no problem.

    It's definitely weird, and pretty annoying, I imagine, when you have to do this sort of stuff on a day to day basis.
    Julian_R_Kowalski@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    You're right! I didn't even try placing the symbols as I presumed they wouldn't work. Isn't that strange?!
    At least now I can just create one symbol for each type of dot, with a number one inside, and everyone else can copy and paste from that one to create others with the same properties.

    Thanks. That's made my life a lot easier.
    rebecca_s_thomas@adobeforums.com Guest