Professional Web Applications Themes

Critique my site! - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I have been using Dreamweaver for 5 years and slow at learning the new MX version. I desided to make my website as easy for users and easy for me to maintain. CSS styles boggle my mind. So I created frames and simple pages for the products. My concern is URL addressing. Is it important for the URL addressing to be a path...such as [url]http://www.itg-usa.com/indexusa.htm[/url] or [url]http://www.itg-usa.com/indexusa.htm[/url]. How does this work? [url]http://www.itg-usa.com/indexusa.htm[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default Critique my site!

    KellyJ webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Critique my site!

    > I desided to make my website as easy for users and easy for me to maintain

    Well, you failed both of those goals as soon as you put the site in frames. ;)

    As far as url addressing, I'm not sure what you mean. If you are referring to bookmarks, the bookmark will always be the frameset no matter what page(s) are being displayed when the visitor creates the bookmark. There are workarounds, but none of them work in all browsers.

    If you mean linking between the frames, each link needs to have a specified target if it is not to open in the same frame.

    As for the critique...

    The page title reads Untitled Doent. You need to change that in the frameset.
    You have a JavaScript Error on line 1: Reference to undefined variable: No such variable 'scrollnews'
    At 1024x768 there are both vertical and horizontal scrollbars in the left frame (bad)
    At 800x600 there are vertical and horizontal scrollbars in both frames (very bad)

    --

    Dave
    If I were half as smart as people think I am...

  3. #3

    Dave,

    Thank you for your honesty! I fixed the frames problem and the Java error. I took the frames out and went to another navigation.

    Thank you!

    Kelly

    KellyJ webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    Gary,

    Thank you also for your input. Im changing the site back to the text links. I forgot about the flash problem that some users have. It was in Frames, but I changed it thanks to the input from Dave.

    You guys are great!

    Kelly

    KellyJ webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    > However, the link he posted to [url]http://www.itg-usa.com/indexusa.htm[/url] is not a framed site, unless I'm just missing something.

    He beat you to it... it was framed in the original post but it looks as though much has been done since then.
    > However, all the navigation is in Flash buttons, so it's completely unusable for me.
    Yep. I see three words: Products, Information and News, and if I understand correctly, that's about all the search engines will see as well - no links to index.
    > Add to that, the main ITG logo at the top of the page is so fuzzy as to be unreadable.
    It looked better earlier.

  6. #6

    Kelly

    Your welcome.

    If I might make another suggestion, you might also want to think about the Flash links for the navigation. Spiders like Flash even less than I do (if that's possible)

    I'm not saying that you shouldn't use it, but if you decide to keep the Flash I would suggest that you also provide alternative text navigation as well.