Professional Web Applications Themes

CRN is Outta Their Tree--DARL MCBRIDE? - SCO

The following is a copy of the post I made in the CRN (Computer Reseller News) Talkback Forums and also sent as a letter to the editor concerning their "2003 Top 25 Executives" piece at <http://tinyurl.com/vu9>, aka <http://www.crn.com/sections/special/top25/top25_03.asp?ArticleID=46009>. Needless to say, SCO didn't waste any time putting TWO references to it on their site, claiming that Darl McBride was ranked #15 despite the Editor's Letter stating "We departed from one long-held tradition in CRN's annual Top 25 Most Influential Executives list this year: We decided against ranking the executives in any particular order." (later he mentioned that they made one ...

  1. #1

    Default CRN is Outta Their Tree--DARL MCBRIDE?

    The following is a copy of the post I made in the CRN (Computer Reseller
    News) Talkback Forums and also sent as a letter to the editor concerning
    their "2003 Top 25 Executives" piece at <http://tinyurl.com/vu9>, aka
    <http://www.crn.com/sections/special/top25/top25_03.asp?ArticleID=46009>.
    Needless to say, SCO didn't waste any time putting TWO references to it on
    their site, claiming that Darl McBride was ranked #15 despite the Editor's
    Letter stating "We departed from one long-held tradition in CRN's annual
    Top 25 Most Influential Executives list this year: We decided against
    ranking the executives in any particular order." (later he mentioned that
    they made one exception: IBM's Sam Palmisano was given the #1 ranking)
    That reference is the same as above, except that the ArticleID is 46008.
    I'm not surprised at what SCO did, what with the unmitigated gall they
    regularly express as well as their tendency to twist the truth when
    they're not outright lying--I'm just outraged that CRN gave them more
    fodder.

    ================================================== =================================

    I just got my "dead tree" issue of CRN yesterday, and first I couldn't
    believe that you would include Darl McBride, of all people, as
    one of your "2003 Top 25 Executives". Second, I couldn't believe
    that you'd be so idiotic as to give him TWO FULL PAGES of coverage,
    the first of which basically being a full-length photo of him with a
    smile (instead of that evil face I see on <http://www.sco.com/>).

    Come on, now! People of far more significance and worth to the IT
    industry like Carly Fiorina, Larry Ellison, Scott McNealy, Steve Jobs,
    Linus Torvalds, Matthew Szulik and Michael Dell only got half a page
    apiece.

    What has Darl McBride done for the IT industry? Well, 1) he has
    introduced the concept of barratry (abuse by litigation) as an IT
    business model, 2) he has stirred up all kinds of FUD against a
    legitimate product (Linux) without offering a single indisputable line
    of code to back up his claims that code SCO owns was copied into
    Linux--in fact, he's now about to get SCO into big trouble by refusing
    to cooperate with the legal process of Discovery (which basically asks
    the question, "what the heck are you suing us about?"), 3) he has
    publicly attacked the open source community with innuendo and
    allegations, most of which are so false on the first reading that only
    the naive and uninformed could possibly give them credence, 4) while
    making all sorts of wild claims about the GNU Public License, he's
    already defying the GPL without the inconvenience of proving its
    invalidity in a court of law (the only way to get SCO Linux source code
    is to be a pre-existing customer and reportedly you have to agree with
    SCO's IP claims before you can get at it) 5) in the article itself he
    gets away with making more accusations that are unquestioned (IBM
    announced that they had imported AIX into Linux at LinuxWorld? Give me
    a break.).

    THIS is a man who deserves TWO FULL PAGES of coverage in a feature
    "2003 Top 25 Executives"?

    CRN itself (are you listening, Christina Torode?) adds insult to
    injury by covering McBride in such a way that he comes off smelling
    like a rose and the whole Linux/Open Source Community look bad. While
    referring to "public broadsides from Linux leaders", there's no mention
    of the unquestionably solid content in those "broadsides" including the
    biggest bone of contention--SCO has yet to cough up ONE LINE of
    indisputably SCO code that is in Linux. In addition, the only other
    significant thing about the Linux/Open Source Community mentioned was
    the set of DoS attacks that the leaders of the community themselves
    denounced and called for an end to.

    I almost wish I were a *paying* subscriber to CRN so I could CANCEL
    and at least put a token dent in CRN's bottom line. As it is, the only
    thing I can do is continue to get it so that CRN has to pay to send it
    to me--and maybe I'll get something out of it in the process.

    Over the last several months (unrelated to the SCO issue) I've had
    less and less respect for CRN anyway (I can tell because I'm saving
    fewer and fewer articles, and have thrown whole issues away), but this
    takes the cake. SHEESH!

    I challenge CRN to offer a legitimate justification IN PRINT for a) the
    decision to include Darl McBride in your "2003 Top 25 Executives", b)
    why there were TWO FULL PAGES of coverage (one being a gratuitous
    picture) when others deserved it far more, 3) knowing that the decision
    was "controversial" to use John Longwell's own description, why the
    coverage was so one-sided, 4) why the unsubstantiated FUD propagated by
    McBride & Co. went unchallenged (again, considering that the inclusion
    was "controversial", why was no serious, balanced coverage given to the
    controversy?), and 5) explain to us how Darl McBride is
    "REINVIGORATING high-tech" (p.49).

    I'm Mike--James' Dad, hence "JamesDad". I use this nym in memory of my
    son James Webb (1992-2000) who died fighting leukemia. He was a greater
    man at 8 than some ever become. May his life, battle and story never be
    forgotten! More info at <http://www.themiraclekids.com/mem-james.htm>.
    *** Remove ARROGANCE Before Replying ***
    JamesDad Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CRN is Outta Their Tree--DARL MCBRIDE?

    JamesDad <com> wrote:

    Well, I think a more accurate phrase might have been "reinvigorating
    the possibility of Unix vendors making big profits again" :-)

    Which is a good thing from their point of view, of course. Not so
    good for those of us on the other side of the fence.

    But you know, no matter what happens, Linux doesn't have to lose this
    fight. Under the very worst conditions, some code needs to be rewritten
    and perhaps the GPL needs to be redone. There's actually an easy solution
    to the GPL (if it does become an issue): stop being compulsive about
    commercial use. Let the s do whatever they want - does it
    really matter?

    --
    com Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: http://aplawrence.com
    Tony Guest

  3. #3

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:30:34 +0000 (UTC), Tony Lawrence
    <TheWorld.com> wrote:

    >Well, I think a more accurate phrase might have been "reinvigorating
    >the possibility of Unix vendors making big profits again" :-)[/ref]

    FYI, "REINVIGORATING high-tech" was part of the lead-in page; "2003 TOP 25
    EXECUTIVES: the doers and thinkers who are REINVIGORATING high-tech". So
    by including The Darl, supposedly the lead Yapping Chihuahua of SCO is
    contributing to the high-tech world in the same sort of way that Carly
    Fiorina, Larry Ellison, Scott McNealy, Steve Jobs, Linus Torvalds and
    others are contributing. <snort!> HORSEFEATHERS!

    And that's definitely a worst-case scenario. IMHO, more than likely SCO
    will go down in flames and in the long run this will be seen as a minor
    hiccup.

    I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you referring to things like the use
    of Samba in UnixWare? I don't think the brouhaha there is the use of
    GPL'ed software in a commercial product (I suspect there's a lot of that
    being done, quite openly and with approval). Rather it's the issue of the
    use of GPL'ed software in a commercial product which is viciously
    attacking the GPL and the very concept of open source. It's taking the
    hard work of people who do this for the love and art of programming and
    giving something to the world and then spitting in their faces. I agree
    fully with those who say that it's quite hypocritical for SCO to do that;
    of course, little things like ethics are totally irrelevant to the Evil
    Banana Empire.

  4. #4

    JamesDad <com> wrote:

    >>Well, I think a more accurate phrase might have been "reinvigorating
    >>the possibility of Unix vendors making big profits again" :-)[/ref][/ref]

     [/ref]

     [/ref]

    No. I'm saying for the Linux folks to stop trying to control their
    software. If you love something, set it free..

    Ethics are irrelevant to any public company. Only privately
    owned companies have any chance to be ethical.

  5. #5

    In article <com>,
    JamesDad <com> wrote:

    Samba is not IN UnixWare. It's part of the Skunkware project -
    which dates back to about 1995. Totally separate from the OS
    and anything in it is availble for the taking - but it is not part
    of Unixware, OpenServer, et al.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  6. #6

    On Fri, Nov 21, 2003, Bill Vermillion wrote:

    >Samba is not IN UnixWare. It's part of the Skunkware project -
    >which dates back to about 1995. Totally separate from the OS
    >and anything in it is availble for the taking - but it is not part
    >of Unixware, OpenServer, et al.[/ref]

    That's all well and good. The thing that sticks in my craw is
    that SCO Group's been promoting their products using Samba and
    other GPL software.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: COM Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
    UUCP: camco!bill PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

    ``The fact is that the Constitution was indended to protect us from
    the government, and we cannot expect the government to enforce it
    willingly'' -- Dave E. Hoffmann, Reason Magazine March 2002
    Bill Guest

  7. #7

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 01:05:01 GMT, comREMOVE (Bill Vermillion)
    wrote:

    >Samba is not IN UnixWare. It's part of the Skunkware project -
    >which dates back to about 1995. Totally separate from the OS
    >and anything in it is availble for the taking - but it is not part
    >of Unixware, OpenServer, et al.
    >
    >Bill[/ref]

    Bill, I'm afraid that's old news. I was wrong about UnixWare; it was
    OpenServer that Samba's been incorporated into. It's a fairly recent
    happening--it may have been part of the product announcements at SCOForum
    (it's been awhile since I've thought about this, so my memory of the
    details is somewhat fuzzy). It's doented in other places, but this is
    how it's described at the Samba site (I knew I'd find it quickly there):
    "In light of this it is the depths of hypocrisy that at the same event SCO
    also announced the incorporation of the Samba3 release into their latest
    OpenServer product." They're seriously *ticked* that SCO, who has gone so
    far as to call the GPL unconstitutional, are using Samba3 (which is GPL
    software) as an enhancement to OpenServer. The full statement is at
    <http://us1.samba.org/samba/samba.html>.

    SCO has the *right* under the GPL to use Samba in such a manner, but the
    feeling is that it's hypocritical to use GPL'ed software in a product
    while at the same time attacking the validity of the license itself.

  8. #8

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:14:49 +0000 (UTC), Tony Lawrence
    <TheWorld.com> wrote:

    >No. I'm saying for the Linux folks to stop trying to control their
    >software. If you love something, set it free..[/ref]

    Still not with you, Tony. Are you saying that Linux should be public
    domain software (no copyrights, no GPL, no nothing)? As it is, Linux is
    about as free as can be short of it being public domain software. It's
    free to use, it's free to distribute, and it's free to modify (the only
    restriction here is that any modifications have to be shared with the
    community for the overall good of those using Linux and to prevent
    fragmentation into different flavors, which is not an onerous
    requirement). In fact, people pay money to give it away--paying for Web
    servers and FTP servers and bandwidth so people can download ISO's and
    RPM's and tarballs of the various distributions for the cost of an
    Internet connection.

    The DISTRIBUTIONS can be charged for, but that's not an inherent Linux
    thing. The charge for distributions is because of value-added features
    such as additional software, media reproduction, manuals, service and
    support. Oh, yeah--and the box. :-)

    If you want to talk about people controlling software, I suggest you talk
    about Darl McBride. He not only wants to control his own software BUT
    EVERYBODY ELSE'S HE CAN, TOO.

    If you want to advocate for a public domain Unix-like OS, you're free to
    write it and put it in the public domain. Nobody's stopping you. And
    that's probably what the Linux folks would say to you if you tried to
    persuade them that they should put THEIR hard work into the public domain,
    if that's what you're talking about.

    IMHO, the Linux folks have a pretty good development model. It's about as
    free as you can get short of putting it in the public domain, but there's
    also a structure so that the OS will continue to develop and mature,
    making even better versions possible for the future.

  9. #9

    JamesDad wrote:

    > >Samba is not IN UnixWare. It's part of the Skunkware project -
    > >which dates back to about 1995. Totally separate from the OS
    > >and anything in it is availble for the taking - but it is not part
    > >of Unixware, OpenServer, et al.
    > >
    > >Bill[/ref]
    >
    > Bill, I'm afraid that's old news. I was wrong about UnixWare; it was
    > OpenServer that Samba's been incorporated into. It's a fairly recent
    > happening--it may have been part of the product announcements at SCOForum
    > (it's been awhile since I've thought about this, so my memory of the
    > details is somewhat fuzzy). It's doented in other places, but this is
    > how it's described at the Samba site (I knew I'd find it quickly there):
    > "In light of this it is the depths of hypocrisy that at the same event SCO
    > also announced the incorporation of the Samba3 release into their latest
    > OpenServer product." They're seriously *ticked* that SCO, who has gone so
    > far as to call the GPL unconstitutional, are using Samba3 (which is GPL
    > software) as an enhancement to OpenServer. The full statement is at
    > <http://us1.samba.org/samba/samba.html>.
    >
    > SCO has the *right* under the GPL to use Samba in such a manner, but the
    > feeling is that it's hypocritical to use GPL'ed software in a product
    > while at the same time attacking the validity of the license itself.
    >
    > ================================================== =====================
    > I'm Mike--James' Dad, hence "JamesDad". I use this nym in memory of my
    > son James Webb (1992-2000) who died fighting leukemia. He was a greater
    > man at 8 than some ever become. May his life, battle and story never be
    > forgotten! More info at <http://www.themiraclekids.com/mem-james.htm>.
    > *** Remove ARROGANCE Before Replying ***[/ref]

    I have read many postings indicating that SCO "has incorporated Samba 3"
    into their Openserver line, and it has caused a lot of fury in the OSS
    community, but there is no release of Samba 3 from SCO. No one I have
    questioned from SCO has indicated that they have any version 3 release
    available. Certainly 2.2.8a is available and supported from SCO, but if
    you have a reference to the version 3 I would love to see it.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Brown

    The Kingsway Group
    Mike Guest

  10. #10

    In article <com>,
    JamesDad <com> wrote:
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    "Public domain" means there are no copyrights or any restrictions
    at all. The BSD distributions are no public domain, but the
    copyrights in it say you can do anything with the software that you
    please BUT you can NOT remove the copyright statements.

    Most things in public domain are only for things so old their
    copyrights have expired.

    You don't count 200 variants different flavors? That's more than
    Baskin Robins has.

    Not all distributions are available as installable ISOs. Some
    install huge RPM packages. Installing the free version of SuSE is
    more difficult than the commercial package, while most other Linux
    distributions have as the only difference, as you said, the box,
    and the manuals, and a minimum of support.

    McBride is 'small pototoes' compared to MS. If someone comes up
    with an idea they like they 1) buy the company, 2) roll out their
    own version, or 3) start rolling out their own version and push it
    far enough so that the original goes bankrupt as other wait for MS.
    {That was how MS destroyed Go - and then just dropped their own
    alternative}

    Stallman tried it and it took so long to implement it became part
    of Linux, or Linux became part of Gnu.

    I saw nothing in his statement that said anything about public
    domain.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  11. #11

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 03:31:06 GMT, Mike Brown <ca> wrote:
    >I have read many postings indicating that SCO "has incorporated Samba 3"
    >into their Openserver line, and it has caused a lot of fury in the OSS
    >community, but there is no release of Samba 3 from SCO. No one I have
    >questioned from SCO has indicated that they have any version 3 release
    >available. Certainly 2.2.8a is available and supported from SCO, but if
    >you have a reference to the version 3 I would love to see it.[/ref]

    So was SCO's announcement FUD or lies? Or as some posters in this
    newsgoup would have it: a "mistake"?

    Joe Guest

  12. #12

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 03:31:06 GMT, Mike Brown <ca> wrote:

    >I have read many postings indicating that SCO "has incorporated Samba 3"
    >into their Openserver line, and it has caused a lot of fury in the OSS
    >community, but there is no release of Samba 3 from SCO. No one I have
    >questioned from SCO has indicated that they have any version 3 release
    >available. Certainly 2.2.8a is available and supported from SCO, but if
    >you have a reference to the version 3 I would love to see it.
    >
    >Mike[/ref]

    In addition to the URL referenced above, I did a quick Google on "SCO
    Openserver Samba 3" and found this reference:
    <http://www.caldera.com/partners/estreet/0209/os.html> It states that
    Samba 3 is part of the future plans.

    At this site: <http://www.unixpress.com/osr5roadmap.html>, Samba 3 is
    reported as a Feature Candidate for Update Pack 4, due out July 2004.

    And at <http://news.com.com/2100-1016-5065286.html> was an article on
    SCOForum which stated that the next release of OpenServer ("Legend") would
    incorporate Samba version 3.

    So it appears that while it hasn't been done yet, it can be considered a
    "done deal" since it appears to definitely be on the roadmap for
    OpenServer.

    And when you're wondering these things in the future, just remember:
    Google is your friend. :-)

  13. #13

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 03:45:04 GMT, comREMOVE (Bill Vermillion)
    wrote:
     [/ref][/ref]

    Bill, this is what I'm asking Tony to clarify. I don't know WHAT he means,
    and like certain other posters in this group, I'm not going to presume
    what he means and jump on him about it. Personally, I can't see what
    "control" could be relinquished or "setting free" could be other than
    releasing Linux as public domain. But that doesn't really make sense to
    me, so I'm asking Tony to clarify his statement. No need of arguing a
    point (if argument is needed) when it's not even understood.

    >You don't count 200 variants different flavors? That's more than
    >Baskin Robins has.[/ref]

    I'm skipping over the other stuff you posted, Bill, since it mostly deals
    with the issues I'm asking Tony to clarify. But this particular item
    caught my attention for response.

    I don't claim to be a Linux expert (I have yet to set up my first Linux
    box, but I have done a moderate amount of reading) nor do I claim to be a
    C/C++ programmer in ANY sense of the word (that's my brother--at least the
    C part). What I do understand is that the many Linux distributions (you
    say 200, I won't argue the issue one way or the other since I don't know)
    all focus on a common kernel lineage, controlled by Linus Torvalds
    personally.

    As I understand it, the different distributions have different secondary
    files (libraries, tools, etc.) that one can always get if they need 'em.
    But all of them depend on the common kernel lineage. If two distros (let's
    say Slackware and Mandrake, justfortheheckofit) both state they have, say,
    the Linux 2.4 kernel, and if they have everything else that's needed
    plugged in (such as particular libraries), software that runs on one
    should run on the other. For example, I just checked the OpenOffice.org
    page, and confirmed that there isn't one version for Slackware, one for
    Mandrake, one for Red Hat, one for TurboLinux and one for Caldera
    OpenLinux. There are two Linux versions there, but it's because of the
    CPUs (x86 vs PPC), not the distros.

    My understanding is that such a level of compatibility doesn't exist among
    the different Unix flavors; a program that runs on IBM's AIX may or may
    not run on Sun Solaris or SGI's Irix. Programs that run on SCO OpenServer
    won't necessarily run on SCO UnixWare and vice-versa. That's why SCO had
    to develop the "OpenServer Kernel Personality" for UnixWare. You can't
    just drop a missing library in and make it work.

    For example; somewhere in my collection of computer stuff is a copy of
    FoxPro 2.6 for Unix. One thing I recall is something about "SCO" on the
    floppies, meaning that if I have any desire to run it (once I ever find
    it), I have to have whatever type of SCO Unix it was designed to run on. I
    *do* have a media kit and binary license for a version of Sun Solaris,
    which is also Unix of course, also based on System V, but I seriously
    doubt that my copy of FoxPro will run on it. Am I correct? I think I've
    got the picture, but am willing to be corrected if I haven't.

  14. #14

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 04:44:42 GMT, JamesDad
    <com> wrote:
     [/ref]

    >I'm skipping over the other stuff you posted, Bill, since it mostly deals
    >with the issues I'm asking Tony to clarify. But this particular item
    >caught my attention for response.[/ref]

    When people say this, they usually mean "release it under a BSD
    license". People like Darl like BSD licensed code, because they can
    leech off it: take the code and use it in their own products while
    giving nothing back. Personally, I think the strength of Linux and GNU
    is mostly due to the GPL.

    But the libraries do vary between distros, and frequently this means
    that binary packages are not portable between distros. Even a
    library version number change can cause this.

    For example, I just checked the OpenOffice.org

    They must have taken great care to ensure binary releases run with a
    wide set of libraries (various glibc versions, etc.)

    Joe Guest

  15. #15

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 04:08:40 GMT, invalid (Joe Dunning)
    wrote:

    >>I have read many postings indicating that SCO "has incorporated Samba 3"
    >>into their Openserver line, and it has caused a lot of fury in the OSS
    >>community, but there is no release of Samba 3 from SCO. No one I have
    >>questioned from SCO has indicated that they have any version 3 release
    >>available. Certainly 2.2.8a is available and supported from SCO, but if
    >>you have a reference to the version 3 I would love to see it.[/ref]
    >
    >So was SCO's announcement FUD or lies? Or as some posters in this
    >newsgoup would have it: a "mistake"?[/ref]

    Joe, will you please quit acting like your fictitious domain
    "blahblah.invalid"? The man asked an honest question, he deserves an
    honest answer. Or does he deserve a whack up side of the head with a
    kloostik(tm) because he doesn't have the information? Failure to
    comprehend is one thing. Failure to have the information TO comprehend is
    quite another.

    Look at my reply to him and check the URLs I came up with. According to
    what I found (including one report on SCOForum where it was announced),
    SCO is *PLANNING* to use Samba 3, but in upcoming releases (and the pages
    have the anticipated dates of release).

    SHEESH, Joe. From what I've read on this newsgroup (and my newsserver took
    me back to mid-June, so I think I've got a decent sample), you and I are
    pretty much in agreement as far as the issues are concerned, but will you
    PLEASE get it through your thick head that honest questions,
    misunderstandings and even disagreements are not justification to charge
    out like a RABID PIT BULL? I read one of your lengthy exchanges with Tony.
    You mischaracterized what he had to say at every step. It was all heat and
    no light. All you did was make yourself look like a Grade A .

    I'm in an exchange with Tony now and what he's said so far sounds pretty
    doofy to me. But I don't think I understand what he means yet, either. And
    I'm not going to jump on him until I DO and know there's a REASON to.

    Either find a way to simmer down or go take a break from this newsgroup.
    PLEASE.

  16. #16

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 05:30:21 GMT, JamesDad
    <com> wrote:

    JamesDad,

    My point was to slam Darl and the management of SCO for announcing
    something and then not delivering.

    Frankly, if you had read my posting carefully, you would have seen that.
    I made no comment about Mike, only about the actions of SCO.

    Believe it or not, there is no obligation in Usenet to answer anyone's
    questions. If you gave Mike some URL's: fine. It does not take away my
    right to use this newsgroup to criticise the actions of SCO's
    management.

    I've tried to point out where people have equivocated and have
    backtracked on their postings. I have nothing to feel guilty or ashamed
    about in my postings.

    You, on the other hand have used this newsgroup for a personal attack on
    me. I suggest you take your own advice and focus on the issue at hand
    and quit the ad-hominem attacks on other posters.
    Joe Guest

  17. #17

    JamesDad <com> wrote:

    >>No. I'm saying for the Linux folks to stop trying to control their
    >>software. If you love something, set it free..[/ref][/ref]

    Yes. If the GPL can't stand up in court, going public domain stops that
    problem.

    Really, why the big deal anyway? Why care if someone else takes what you
    did and uses it? I don't see why Linux folks get all worked up over
    that part.

  18. #18

    JamesDad <com> wrote:
     [/ref][/ref]

    I don't give a damn how it is distributed. I'm not arguing for or against
    public domain, BSD licenses, etc. I am simply referring to the possibility
    that the GPL may be a weakness here and suggesting that, rather than
    wasting time with more legal mumbo-jumbo to try to fix it, just let
    it go. Who cares? What difference does it really make?

  19. #19

    JamesDad wrote:

    > >I have read many postings indicating that SCO "has incorporated Samba 3"
    > >into their Openserver line, and it has caused a lot of fury in the OSS
    > >community, but there is no release of Samba 3 from SCO. No one I have
    > >questioned from SCO has indicated that they have any version 3 release
    > >available. Certainly 2.2.8a is available and supported from SCO, but if
    > >you have a reference to the version 3 I would love to see it.
    > >
    > >Mike[/ref]
    >
    > In addition to the URL referenced above, I did a quick Google on "SCO
    > Openserver Samba 3" and found this reference:
    > <http://www.caldera.com/partners/estreet/0209/os.html> It states that
    > Samba 3 is part of the future plans.
    >
    > At this site: <http://www.unixpress.com/osr5roadmap.html>, Samba 3 is
    > reported as a Feature Candidate for Update Pack 4, due out July 2004.
    >
    > And at <http://news.com.com/2100-1016-5065286.html> was an article on
    > SCOForum which stated that the next release of OpenServer ("Legend") would
    > incorporate Samba version 3.
    >
    > So it appears that while it hasn't been done yet, it can be considered a
    > "done deal" since it appears to definitely be on the roadmap for
    > OpenServer.
    >
    > And when you're wondering these things in the future, just remember:
    > Google is your friend. :-)
    >
    > ================================================== =====================
    > I'm Mike--James' Dad, hence "JamesDad". I use this nym in memory of my
    > son James Webb (1992-2000) who died fighting leukemia. He was a greater
    > man at 8 than some ever become. May his life, battle and story never be
    > forgotten! More info at <http://www.themiraclekids.com/mem-james.htm>.
    > *** Remove ARROGANCE Before Replying ***[/ref]

    That certainly make more sense since Samba 3 is still in beta. I did check
    google, but was looking for some clear definition that it was "incorporated
    into" a released product. Announcing that it will be a candidate for release
    next summer is likely enough to cause the Samba team some distress, and I
    don't mean to downplay the significance of contesting GPL while planning to
    incorporate GPL'd code. I think the Samba team, including John Terpstra who
    use to work for SCO, are to be commended for taking the high road on this one,
    clearly posting their disapproval but supporting the product all the same.

    I still believe, as I have posted before, that Linux will be the ultimate
    winner from the SCO vs. IBM lawsuit no matter how it turns out.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Brown

    The Kingsway Group
    Mike Guest

  20. #20

    Joe Dunning wrote:
    > >I have read many postings indicating that SCO "has incorporated Samba 3"
    > >into their Openserver line, and it has caused a lot of fury in the OSS
    > >community, but there is no release of Samba 3 from SCO. No one I have
    > >questioned from SCO has indicated that they have any version 3 release
    > >available. Certainly 2.2.8a is available and supported from SCO, but if
    > >you have a reference to the version 3 I would love to see it.[/ref]
    >
    > So was SCO's announcement FUD or lies? Or as some posters in this
    > newsgoup would have it: a "mistake"?[/ref]

    I was more questioning the content of any announcement, it looks like SCO
    has indicated that Samba 3 is a candidate for inclusion in a release pack
    next summer. Maybe I am being picky about the words, but Samba 3 is not
    currently available from SCO, and I could not find an announcement that
    it was. So I posted that question back.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Brown