Professional Web Applications Themes

cron mail - FreeBSD

How do I change the e-mail address and SMTP server cron uses to e-mail the daily root report?...

  1. #1

    Default cron mail

    How do I change the e-mail address and SMTP server cron uses to e-mail the daily root report?
    Dennis Guest

  2. #2

    Default kerberos problems

    Hi,

    I'm currently battling with kerberos, and am having a bit of a problem
    authenticating. It is most likely an error on my part, the whole process
    of what is involved in kerberos and how it works is yet to click in my
    head.

    I followed the handbook guide to setting it up, and it all seems to be
    working ok. I have now setup telnetd as described to test how it is
    working. If I have done a kinit previously, it will log in no problem,
    but if I do not do a kinit (or do a kdestroy before hand) I get -

    kerberos V5: mk_req (No Such File or direcotry).

    Any ideas?

    Cheers,
    Martin

    martinmcc@orbweavers.co.uk Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: kerberos problems

    On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 03:38:46PM -0000, co.uk wrote:

    That sounds like it's working normally. Without a valid ticket (as shown
    by `klist`), which is cached in a file, services like telent which use
    Kerberos won't authenticate you.

    If I'm misunderstanding the problem you're describing, please add some
    more detail as to what you expected to have happen and how reality
    differed :-)

    -T

    --
    Page xxviii: More than any other computer system today, Unix will repay
    every moment that you spend learning and experimenting.

  4. #4

    > On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 03:38:46PM -0000, co.uk
    >
    > That sounds like it's working normally. Without a valid ticket (as shown
    > by `klist`), which is cached in a file, services like telent which use
    > Kerberos won't authenticate you.
    >
    > If I'm misunderstanding the problem you're describing, please add some
    > more detail as to what you expected to have happen and how reality
    > differed :-)
    >[/ref]
    Yeah, it could well be the way it is supposed to work. Basically I want to
    end up with a centralised login system for my network (i.e. no need to
    create usernames on each client). I am planning to use ldap for this, and
    as I understand it ldap can use kerberos for the authentication aspect. So
    I am atm trying to make sure I have a good understanding of the kerberos
    system and have it up and running before I tackle the next part.

    what I was assuming would happen when I try to telnet in without a ticket
    (i.e. with running kinit) was that I would get asked for a
    username/password, and then I would get issued a ticket, rather than
    manually having to kinit first.

    How would this affect using pam to authenticate i.e. if I want to use
    pam_krb to login to the console, I would not be able to run kinit before
    hand?

    [Apologies for sending this to you twice tillman , need to be more careful
    with the reply to button :)]

  5. #5

    Default Re: cron mail

    "Dennis Olvany" <com> writes:

    There are several methods.

    You can configure periodic(8) itself through settings in
    periodic.conf(5) [i.e., type "man 5 periodic.conf" for details].

    My favorite method is by redirecting *all* of root's mail in the
    aliases(5) file.

    http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/
    Lowell Guest

  6. #6

    MAILTO="com" in the /etc/crontab file... I believe. It's discussed in
    man 5 crontab.

    Ben

    Ben Guest

  7. #7

    On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 05:30:09PM -0000, co.uk wrote:

    > > That sounds like it's working normally. Without a valid ticket (as shown
    > > by `klist`), which is cached in a file, services like telent which use
    > > Kerberos won't authenticate you.
    > >
    > > If I'm misunderstanding the problem you're describing, please add some
    > > more detail as to what you expected to have happen and how reality
    > > differed :-)
    > >[/ref]
    > Yeah, it could well be the way it is supposed to work. Basically I want to
    > end up with a centralised login system for my network (i.e. no need to
    > create usernames on each client). I am planning to use ldap for this, and
    > as I understand it ldap can use kerberos for the authentication aspect. So
    > I am atm trying to make sure I have a good understanding of the kerberos
    > system and have it up and running before I tackle the next part.
    >
    > what I was assuming would happen when I try to telnet in without a ticket
    > (i.e. with running kinit) was that I would get asked for a
    > username/password, and then I would get issued a ticket, rather than
    > manually having to kinit first.[/ref]

    I believe the difference is that kinit is used to get kerberos
    credentials after you have logged on by some other means. If you use
    pam_krb5, then it will be using the kerberos for authentication instead
    of the local passwd file and also save the credentials.

    The way your currently doing it the local system still will need the
    user and passwd to log them in before they can run kinit, with pam_krb5
    this can be avoided.

    --
    I sense much NT in you.
    NT leads to Bluescreen.

    Fingerprint: CEE1 AAE2 F66C 59B5 34CA C415 6D35 E847 0118 A3D2

    Loren Guest

  8. #8

    On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 05:30:09PM -0000, co.uk wrote:

    That would require every client application, like telnet, to support
    kinit functionality.

    Think of kinit as "logging onto the network", something that must be
    performed in a secure way only once per work session.

    -T

    --
    Zen is like looking for spectacles that are sitting on your nose.
    - Zen saying