Professional Web Applications Themes

croping one object with outline of another - Adobe Illustrator Windows

[url]http://www.bigopera.com/albania.jpg[/url] This image has a flag that has been cropped to match the outline of the country. How does one go about creating a "mask" to do that sort of cropping. In PhotoShop I would just select the country shape and then re-select it's inverse to use as a crop for the flag, but my experimentations in Illustrator CS (trial) have proved fruitless thus far....

  1. #1

    Default croping one object with outline of another

    rrose_selavy@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: croping one object with outline of another

    Hi

    there is probably an easier way than mine but this is what I would do.

    Using AI10 I would copy the map (or relevant shape) "cntl c", then past to front "cntrl f". Then ensure that the image you want clipped (eg the flag) is behind the copied map. Using the layers palet is the easiest way to do this. Then select both items and "ctrl 7" or objects>clipping mask>make. The copied map will be replaced by the clipped flag.

    You can then adjust the cropped image (flag) by selecting it with the direct selection tool (white arrow on tools palet) and move it around with your arrow keys.

    Hope this helps.

    Latchet
    This will leave the cropped image over your map.
    latchet_mcbride@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Latchet,

    Thanks for your prompt reply.
    I've tried what you suggested. Obviously I'm doing something incorret, When
    I select the map copy and the flag (map on top of flag) and make clipping
    mask, the resulting shape is not a flag in the shape of the country. It's
    just some odd, amorphous shape that bears no resemblance to the flag in
    shape or its original colours.But...in addition to this amorphous shape I
    also see all the paths of the flag and the country when the object is
    selected.

    rrose_selavy@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Do these shapes have to be in the same layer to function as you describe? I
    have them in two different layers. Perhaps that is the problem?

    rrose_selavy@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    [url]http://www.bigopera.com/denmark.jpg[/url]

    Illustrator Screen Shots:
    Top portion shows the two objects. The map. The flag.
    Bottom portion shows the result of selecting both and applying Clipping
    Path.

    rrose_selavy@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    > Bottom portion shows the result of selecting both and applying Clipping
    Path.

    I wrote Path, but meant Mask. CTRL-7 as suggested.

    rrose_selavy@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    When I first tried it with each object in two seperate layers I didn't
    receive the Alert Message I did when I tried it with both objects in the
    same layer. The Warning says something to the effect that the top object is
    very complex and may cause printing or preview problems.

    I've tried the same method using a very simple recthangle as the top object
    and it works as you say it will.

    Any thoughts on how to do this with a fairly complex top object?

    rrose_selavy@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Well, I succeeded in making this:
    [url]http://www.bigopera.com/denmark-2.jpg[/url]

    I guess I just have to repeat several steps with a new flag for several of
    the other land masses seperately and then combine.

    Thanks again.

    rrose_selavy@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Hi

    I forgot to say that the clip process (to my knowledge) can't be used with grouped objects. I'm guessing all the bits of Denmark are grouped.

    Try ungrouping Denmark. The do a clip of each piece with the flag. Drag each piece to a new layer to make it easier to manage. Dont forget to make multiple copies of the flag before you do the first one (Ctrl C, Ctrl F, then press D (duplicate process) for each piece)
    and drag them to each new layer piece of the map.

    There is probaly an easier way but this should work for you as a quick fix.
    latchet_mcbride@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks again, Latchet.
    I ended up doing just as you indicated.