Professional Web Applications Themes

Cropping a Clipping Mask?? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I have a basic shape in front of a hi-res image and have made the shape/image a clipping mask. Is there a way that i can crop the image to the shape of the mask? I know you cant see the parts of the image that is not in the mask but it is making the file sizes huge! and i need the image to remain that size as it has to line up with other shapes (its for a vehicle wrap) Hope this is clear enough, any help would be appreciated....

  1. #1

    Default Cropping a Clipping Mask??

    James_Archer@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cropping a Clipping Mask??

    James,

    No. If you want to crop the image you would need to do that in Photoshop

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    James:

    By definition, you cannot make a raster image in any other shape than a rectangle, seeing as it's made up of pixels. That's why you're stuck with a mask to cover up areas. You can clip some of the excess off by cropping the image in Photoshop, or setting crop marks in Illustrator and exporting as a raster, then placing it back into Illustrator.

    Bert
    B. Philippus Guest

  4. #4

    Len:

    No. If you want to crop the image you would need to do that in Photoshop

    Yes:

    1. Make correct size rectangle on top of artwork;
    2. Leave selected, go to Object>Crop Marks>Make;
    3. Export image as raster (psd, bmp, etc.),
    and you have now cropped down to whatever dimensions your rectangle was. No Photoshop needed to crop. You can even export preserving layers...

    Bert
    B. Philippus Guest

  5. #5

    Bert

    What a great solution. I have been perplexed by the unused portions of clipping masks for ages and posted a similar question many months ago with no solution. Any ideas for non-rectangle shapes?

    Many thanks

    Latchet
    latchet_mcbride@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Can't be done.... An image made up by pixels will always be rectangular...

    Poul Solbjerg

    Poul_Solbjerg_Holst@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Another way is described here:

    -> Kurt Gold "Crop Images" 4/6/04 6:30am </cgi-bin/webx?13.2cd11252/0>
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Bert,
    >>you have now cropped down to whatever dimensions your rectangle was. <<
    I'd never tried that! Interesting...

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    latchet:

    Odd shapes would have to be vector, because raster, as mentioned, can only be rectangular in shape. The reason for this, is simply because a rectangular box is the easiest way to keep track of pixels, and so it is the convention, at least on this planet. Think of a raster image as an eggcarton, and the pixels are eggs. You line up the eggs, you know where each one is, but you cannot manipulate the shape of the eggcarton DIRECTLY, it is ONLY a container to hold eggs in place. I think a common misperception is that a raster image is a rectangle, when it really is a rectangular container. It has no anchors or paths along the outside, those lines just mark the boundaries.

    Now, you can cover up some off the eggs, and make it look like the egg carton has changed shape, by using a mask. When using the cropmark method combined with a clipping mask and a raster format that supports transparency, you can save out shapes (i.e. save for web as a *.gif, or export as *psd) that have transparent areas where masked, but it'll still be a rectangular block when selected.

    Hope that helps.

    Bert
    B. Philippus Guest

  10. #10

    Can't be done.... An image made up by pixels will always be rectangular...

    We're speaking strictly in terms of raster images in AI, right? Because you can crop raster images with odd-shaped vector paths in Photoshop then place them back into AI, and all you have is the pixels in the cropped image.

    Cheers, Toni
    TD_Toomey@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    #8-O
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Toni:

    Nope, you'll ALWAYS have a rectangular container. The container may contain TRANSPARENT pixels outside of your odd shape, but that does not mean they are not there. Select the raster you've placed, and you'll see it's indeed a rectangular shape. It may have a clipping mask that's an odd shape, but that clipping mask will still be vector.

    Bert
    B. Philippus Guest

  13. #13

    Bert,

    Oh. OK. I get it. Thanks. Right now I'm trying to figure out how I did that cropping thing in PS a couple of weeks ago. Brain fade.

  14. #14

    Thanks for your help everyone, some very interesting points which i imagine will take me a couple of hours to figure out!

    Cheers
    James_Archer@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    OK Here's one possible way you can make something have a "pixel-feel" and not be rectangular:

    Play with the mosaic filter.

    You can actually divvy up a raster into small rectangles, but it does get memory intensive...Locate the filter under Filters>Create>Object Mosaic (At least that's where it is in 10).

    Bert
    B. Philippus Guest