Professional Web Applications Themes

Cross Frame Menu - Coldfusion - Getting Started

Hi I am fairly new to cold fusion and would like to know if it is possible to make cross frame menu in cold fusion . I like to make a menu that the top part of the menu will be in one frame and when the user click on the menu the drop down part of the menu will be in another frame of the web page . I am trying with Microsoft Front page & Java Script and it did not work . Any help is appriciated Thank You...

  1. #1

    Default Cross Frame Menu

    Hi

    I am fairly new to cold fusion and would like to know if it is possible to
    make cross frame menu in cold fusion . I like to make a menu that the top part
    of the menu will be in one frame and when the user click on the menu the drop
    down part of the menu will be in another frame of the web page . I am trying
    with Microsoft Front page & Java Script and it did not work .
    Any help is appriciated

    Thank You

    kmandal Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cross Frame Menu

    I don't know if this is what you mean, but I have an application that does
    exactly that, but all you have to do is specify the target attribute of the <A
    HREF....> tag for the frame in which you want the "submenu" displayed.

    Eg. On your menu..

    Tanya

    Rustywater Guest

  3. #3

    Hi,

    I just stuck in creating a Cross Frame MEnu. Can anybody help me in this.

    Thanks
    Bighnaraj Guest

  4. #4

    There is no practical way to make a layer (that's how drop-down menus work)
    cross the boundary between two separate frames (i.e., two unique HTML
    pages).

    It is true. Your choices are limited now -

    1. DUMP THE FRAMES - you would not be having this problem in a non-framed
    site.
    2. Redesign your menus so that they do not need to span a frame boundary.
    3. Redesign the frameset so that you leave enough room for the largest
    popup.
    4. Move the layer code for the popups from the page in the navigation frame
    to each page in the content frame.
    5. DUMP THE FRAMES - you would not be having this problem in a non-framed
    site.

    I recommend either #1 or #5, depending on what your needs are. You just
    have no idea the horrors that await you if you continue with the frames.....
    8)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "Bighnaraj" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just stuck in creating a Cross Frame MEnu. Can anybody help me in this.
    >

    > Thanks

    Murray *ACE* Guest

  5. #5

    I have a modified version of the FireWorks menu.js that allows Murray's #4 suggestion if you want it, I did this ages ago before I realised points #1 and #5

    Andy
    byardaj Guest

  6. #6

    And before you realized how bloody awful the FW menus were, and what a nasty
    solution it is to move the layers into the content frame?

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "byardaj" <andybyardmac.com> wrote in message
    >I have a modified version of the FireWorks menu.js that allows Murray's #4
    >suggestion if you want it, I did this ages ago before I realised points #1
    >and #5
    >
    > Andy

    Murray *ACE* Guest

  7. #7

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
    And before you realized how bloody awful the FW menus were, and what a nasty
    solution it is to move the layers into the content frame?

    Murray
    We used our code for generating FW menus on about a dozen intranet web
    applications and we found them to be quick and easy to use (i.e. once the code
    was written setting up a menu was just a case of populating a database with
    menu options), in hindsight it would have been easier to ditch frames and not
    have to mess about with cross frame stuff.
    We have now changed technology from .ASP to Java/XLM/XSLT so maybe its time to
    switch to a better menu system.
    My problem is that I have to justify to my boss why the change is necessary?
    Can you give me a few bullet points as to why something like the projectseven
    menus are so much better.
    Any comments gratefully received.
    Regards
    Andy

    byardaj Guest

  8. #8

    [url]http://apptools.com/rants/jsmenu.php[/url]
    [url]http://apptools.com/rants/menus.php[/url]

    The PVII menus are like tiny little grains compared to the monstrous size of
    the FW menus. This is particularly true with the FW8 menus - I looked at a
    page not long ago that had nearly 3000 lines of CSS, *ALL* related to the
    pop-up menus. And, to try to troubleshoot that byzantine markup just gives
    me the willies....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    > Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
    > And before you realized how bloody awful the FW menus were, and what a
    > nasty
    > solution it is to move the layers into the content frame?
    >

    > Murray
    > We used our code for generating FW menus on about a dozen intranet web
    > applications and we found them to be quick and easy to use (i.e. once the
    > code
    > was written setting up a menu was just a case of populating a database
    > with
    > menu options), in hindsight it would have been easier to ditch frames and
    > not
    > have to mess about with cross frame stuff.
    > We have now changed technology from .ASP to Java/XLM/XSLT so maybe its
    > time to
    > switch to a better menu system.
    > My problem is that I have to justify to my boss why the change is
    > necessary?
    > Can you give me a few bullet points as to why something like the
    > projectseven
    > menus are so much better.
    > Any comments gratefully received.
    > Regards
    > Andy

    Murray *ACE* Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks Murray
    Some good points raised in those two articles (so I'm not the only person who
    dislikes the I-beam cursor in menus rendered in Firefox) I think I'll have a go
    with the simple VII menus... just one point... do they work across frames
    (joke!).
    Andy

    byardaj Guest

  10. #10

    I'm not laughing (although I did a slight snort). 8)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    > Thanks Murray
    > Some good points raised in those two articles (so I'm not the only person
    > who
    > dislikes the I-beam cursor in menus rendered in Firefox) I think I'll have
    > a go
    > with the simple VII menus... just one point... do they work across frames
    > (joke!).
    > Andy

    Murray *ACE* Guest