Professional Web Applications Themes

Cross platform fonts question - Adobe Indesign Windows

Win XP Pro SP2 HP A64 Laptop. Problem. InDesign CS 3.0 We wrote a book (see www.lyso.gr ) and our designer did the layout in InDesign on a Mac, and got it published, in German, and very nice it is. We now have the translation in English that has again been set out with ID on a Mac, and we doing the corrections on the PC with ID. However, firing up the file we immediately get “missing font” errors, to be precise, missing Symbol TT medium Charter ITC Helvetica neue 56 Italic Helvetica Neue 65 medium Helvetica neue 55 Roman ...

  1. #1

    Default Cross platform fonts question

    Win XP Pro SP2
    HP A64 Laptop.

    Problem.
    InDesign CS 3.0
    We wrote a book (see www.lyso.gr ) and our designer did the layout in InDesign on a Mac, and got it published, in German, and very nice it is. We now have the translation in English that has again been set out with ID on a Mac, and we doing the corrections on the PC with ID. However, firing up the file we immediately get “missing font” errors, to be precise, missing

    Symbol TT medium
    Charter ITC
    Helvetica neue 56 Italic
    Helvetica Neue 65 medium
    Helvetica neue 55 Roman

    The program automatically substitutes fonts which work but our designer says will totally mess up the layout, but we cannot find these fonts in the program…. We need to use them.

    We are not PC noobs, but we are ID noobs, so any help is appreciated…. Is this a Mac Vs Pc prob, or is the answer a simple one.

    Thanks in advance.
    Evi_Lang@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cross platform fonts question

    You'll need to buy those fonts if you don't own them.

    http://store.adobe.com/type/browser/browser_H.html

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    The other issue is Macintosh to Windows versus Windows to Macintosh.

    For OpenType fonts, there is no problem since they are the exact same format on both platforms with all the font data and metrics in the "data fork" on the Macintosh.

    For Type 1 and TrueType fonts, you are OK going from Windows to Macintosh since InDesign (and all other Adobe applications) can handle both Windows Type 1 and TrueType fonts if installed in the Adobe font directory. (MacOS X natively supports only the Windows TrueType format!)

    The other direction is a real problem. Macintosh Type 1 and TrueType fonts are stored in the "resource fork" of the their files. There is no "resource fork" under Windows. Such font files have zero length when copied to a Windows system. The only solution is to go the original font vendor and license the exact equivalent font in Windows format. For Adobe fonts, this is not a problem. It may be a problem for some font vendors either in whether they have the fonts on multiple platforms and/or whether they are identical in terms of font design and especially metrics.

    And of course, make sure you appropriately deal with the licensing issues per Bob's posting above.

    - Dov
    Dov Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for the quick replies.
    Looking at the link Bob posted it does not appear these fonts are available to Windows users, which is a real problem.
    The only Mac I have access to at the moment is an old PowerPC which I am sure will not run InDesign (OS 9.0).

    Any other help gratefully received as a new Mac isn't in the budget.....
    Evi_Lang@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Adobe has only Opentype versions in their shop (which for ID users is a good thing). You will find all the fonts you are looking for at Linotype (www.linotype.com).

    If the licence things are arranged, you could also use crossfont (to be found at www.acutesystems.com) to convert the fonts from Mac to PC. Almost certainly you will also need Transmac from the same vendor to get the fonts in Windows.

    Teus de Jong
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Look again...Opentype fonts are completely crossplatform.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  7. #7

    Bob,

    I know that, but I don't see the connection here. Of course they could use the OpenType variants, but I don't know if that does not lead to other problems. (Probably not; the fonts mentioned have a rather standard encoding.)

  8. #8

    Why would it lead to problems?

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  9. #9

    As I said, probably not because most of those fonts have a rather standard encoding. When I upgraded to the Std variants of some not standard encoded fonts, I ran into the problem that some characters were not correctly mapped. Also, if characters styles are defined for e.g. small caps, these have to be redefined. That's easy of course, but you have to do it every time the file goes from one machine to the other.