Professional Web Applications Themes

CS and CS2 "fill" box (next to the stroke box) misbehaving - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I thought it was just an CS problem, but it occurs the same way in CS2: If I create a simple object, say a circle, and then give it a custom gradient where I add several percentages of black within the gradient.....(accomplished by dragging a black swatch over onto the gradient tab - which adds another color pointer and then double clicking on that "color point" to bring up the "color" tab, and then slide the percentage down from 100% to say 70%)..... And then I decide to change that shape back to a solid fill such as white. So, ...

  1. #1

    Default CS and CS2 "fill" box (next to the stroke box) misbehaving

    I thought it was just an CS problem, but it occurs the same way in CS2:

    If I create a simple object, say a circle, and then give it a custom gradient where I add several percentages of black within the gradient.....(accomplished by dragging a black swatch over onto the gradient tab - which adds another color pointer and then double clicking on that "color point" to bring up the "color" tab, and then slide the percentage down from 100% to say 70%).....

    And then I decide to change that shape back to a solid fill such as white. So, I select the object, click on the white swatch - which shows the change to white on the "Color" tab - YET, the fill box next to the stroke box continues to show the fill as a freaking gradient! You can select the "X" to try and give it a "no fill" without any success....you can select the previous solid color button to the left of the gradient button below the "fill and stroke" boxes - ALSO without success - the fill box continues stubbornly to show that custom fill...There is literally no way of getting the "fill box" to show a solid fill again short of restarting the program each time this occurs.

    It's really starting to whizz me off. Can you tell? Trashing AI prefs doesn't seem to help.

    Gateway P4 2.4 ghz
    1 gig RDRAM memory
    2 - 300 gb ata 7200 rpm hard drives
    ATI 128 mb video card of some kind.
    Windows XP professional
    Tom_Walace@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Tom, I can't seem to te your problem. Could you give an exact step by step situation?
    Dean_M@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    If you click on the shape and select object>ungroup can you then change things?

    Or is ungroup ghosted?

    I just ask because I have run across anomalies like this occasionally and ungroup usually fixes the problem.
    Philip_Peterson@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Having colors applied to groups can make it seem that colors are not displaying on the artboard, if you are changing the color of a content object and the group's color is on top, but the Fill proxy in the Color palette and the Fill proxy in the Tool palette should be showing the same thing whenever the Color palette is not targeted at a gradient stop. (Showing the little picture of a gradient stop marker with the black triangle on top below the Fill proxy.)
    Teri Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks for checking in....some background:

    First...there is only one closed path object; a circle. Nothing can be grouped.

    Here is the step-by-step:

    1. I creat a circle.
    2.) I apply the default gradient by selecting the *gradient (>)* button that is flanked by the *fill* button to the left and the *none* button on the right - just below the offset *fill* and *stroke* boxes near the bottom of the toolbox.
    3.) Next, I open up my *gradient* tab - you know, the one under the *window* heading that would open up the gradient tab rollup.
    4.) Next, I drag several instances of 100% black *sliders* onto the gradient tab. I double click each of these new color marker *sliders* and change the value from 100% black to some other percentage of black.
    5.) Then, I create a new shape - again a circle. I decide this circle should be some spot blue. I click in my swatches pallete on a nice blue....and the new circle turns blue BUT......
    6.) The *fill* box (the offset one in front of the *stroke* box toward the bottom of the tool box) STILL shows the custom gradient as being the fill, even though it is not - and is actually blue on the object.
    7.) Clicking on the "default fill and stroke" button to the lower left of the *fill* box....or clicking on the *none* button to the right of the *gradient* button....or changing to any other swatch color will change the PREVIEW of that blasted custom gradient I created!

    So I guess it's the preview of that gradient that WILL NOT CHANGE after a custom gradient was created and the percentages of those various color marker sliders have been changed....

    Are you able to follow me on this?

    I guess it's not that I cannot change a selected shapes color, but after I had created a custom gradient with changed percentage values on some of the added color marker sliders.....the PREVIEW of the fill is locked showing that stupid custom gradient....and will NOT change no matter how many additional shapes I add with different colors.
    Tom_Walace@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Tom,

    I could not reproduce the problem you are encountering:

    After assigning default gradient:

    After modifying gradient colors:

    Immediately after drawing a new circle and then clicking on a blue swatch:

    The only thing I did differently from your description is that you said that you double-clicked on the gradient color stop sliders to change their colors. But double-clicking on a gradient color stop doesn't do anything. I changed the colors of the new stops by putting the Color palette in CMYK mode and either moving the sliders in the Color palette or eyedroppering on the rainbow color ramp at the bottom. (I am assuming that by "gradient tab" you mean the Gradient palette.)

    By the way, a faster way to add new color stops to a gradient is to simply click on the blank area of the Gradient palette, below the sliders. Dragging down a swatch from the Swatch palette takes longer, so there is no reason to do that unless the swatch you are dragging down is already the color you want.
    Teri Guest

  7. #7

    That is very weird Teri.....the blue "fill" box on your last screen shot would still be displaying the custom gradient...while the circle to the right would be blue as shown.

    If I double clicked on one of the color markers, it would bring up the "color" tab.

    I just noticed, if I drag off (delete) all the color markers except 2 (the black and white one) and THEN click on a color from my swatch pallete - the "fill" box will take on the new color??!! And then it works normally again.

    For some reason, My Illustrator, no matter the version...doesn't like it when you add several new color markers and then adjust those markers to different percentages by double clicking on them to bring up the colors tab and then changing the slider to a different percentage.

    Ahhh...I just noticed that by double-clicking on the marker...it brings up a single 0-100% slider of the marker color instead of a cmyk percentage multi-slider box as you're showing.....

    So, by double-clicking on the color marker, it must convert the color to a spot color?! And when I click on the "convert to cmyk" color wheel when this single slider is up - it will not convert it to a multi-slider adjustment box.

    So, it looks like my solution would be to NOT double-click on the color marker....as that converts it to a spot color....but to single click the color marker to select the marker, and then manually click on the "color" tab...which brings up the full CMYK adjustment sliders....
    Tom_Walace@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    If I double clicked on one of the color markers, it would bring up the
    "color" tab.

    Ah, I keep the Color palette open all the time. That's why I said that double-clicking on a gradient color stop does nothing. You're right that if you have the Color palette closed or sent to the back of a stack, that double-clicking on a gradient color stop will bring the Color palette to the front. (By the way, "tab" is not a synonym for palette. "Tab" means only the little bit at the top of a palette shaped like a folder tab that you use to move the palette by.)

    Ahhh...I just noticed that by double-clicking on the marker...it brings
    up a single 0-100% slider of the marker color instead of a cmyk percentage
    multi-slider box as you're showing.....

    I took the screen shots after I had already changed the color stop to a color. When I started with grayscale markers such as the ones that are at either end of a default gradient, it started out showing the grayscale slider too, and then I switched it to showing the CMYK sliders and modified the color.

    So, by double-clicking on the color marker, it must convert the color
    to a spot color?!

    No, all it is doing is showing the Color palette, and making the Color palette display whatever the color of that gradient stop is. It does not alter the color of the stop in any way. If the stop were assigned a spot color, the Color palette would be showing the name of that spot color, with the Tint sliders.

    When the Color palette is displaying the color of a gradient stop, it has the little picture of a gradient stop below the color well, like in my second picture, where it is showing the color of the purple gradient stop. When the Color palette is showing the color of an object, it will instead have the Fill/Stroke indicators showing. The Toolbox, however, always shows the Fill/Stroke indicators.

    When you are in your state where you are having trouble getting the Fill/Stroke indicators in the toolbox to display a solid color, is the Color palette showing a gradient stop, or is it showing the Fill/Stroke indicators?
    Teri Guest

  9. #9

    Teri - Please explain the last question more thoroughly....

    The "Color Palette" shows a 0 to 100% color bar....and below that, it shows the gradient but with NO color stop indicators. The CMYK (convert to) color wheel icon is lit - but you cannot click or double-click it to display a CMYK version of the color.

    Does this help?

    Only by clicking back on the "Gradient Tab" and then removing the "new" color stops I had added, does the fill box go back to normal.
    Tom_Walace@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Please explain the last question more thoroughly....

    OK. Since the CMYK colors in my screen shots in message #5 seem to be confusing the issue, I've made some new ones with only the grayscale sliders.

    Notice in this screen shot that the Color palette has a single square for the color well, with a little icon of a gradient stop below it (the thing with a pointed black hat):

    It is showing the gradient stop color because there is a selected gradient stop in the Gradient palette. The tool box, however, is showing the fill of the selected art object.

    Now, in this screen shot, after I have applied a gray swatch to the rectangle, the Color palette is showing a smaller version of the fill/stroke indicators:

    What I was asking was which of the above pictures corresponds to how the top left corner of your Color palette looks. This indicates whether the Color palette is displaying the color of a gradient stop, or the color of an art object.

    The "Color Palette" shows a 0 to 100% color bar....and below that, it
    shows the gradient but with NO color stop indicators.

    Well, I wasn't asking about what it shows in the main area, I was only asking about what it shows in the top left corner. I knew it would be showing grayscale sliders in the main area.

    Since you asked about spot colors, here are some pictures showing what it would look like if you were showing a global color (it is not a spot color here, just a global process color). I don't think that is the case you were encountering, but since you seemed to think it might be making spot colors, I wanted to show the difference.

    A global color on a selected gradient color stop (notice that the middle orange stop is selected in the Gradient palette. A selected stop has a black hat, unselected ones have white hats.):

    A global color in an art object fill:

    If you have an art object selected which is filled with a solid color, and the Color palette is showing the fill/stroke indicators as in the 2nd and 4th screen shots, with a solid color fill, but the Fill indicator in the Tool box is showing a Gradient fill, so that your Color palette and your selected art object looked like in Picture 2, but your Tool box looked like in Picture 1, that would be a bug. But I cannot reproduce anything like that.
    Teri Guest

  11. #11

    Teri - thank you for clarifying that and the screenshots are wonderful.

    Mine look exactly like s-shots 1 and 3.

    The only way to get the "fill" box in the toolbar to display a solid color after a custom gradient was selected was to go back into the gradient tab and delete all but the two original default color stops.

    That is the only way I have discovered to rememdy the erroneous "fill" box problem.

    Does this help? Thanks.
    Tom_Walace@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Tom,

    If your screen shots really look exactly like #1 and #3, then they are not "erroneous". In those shots, the Color palette is correctly showing the color of the selected gradient stop, as indicated by the little icon of the gradient stop below the color well, and the Tool box is correctly showing the gradient fill that is applied to the selected art object.

    But in your earlier posts you said that you had successfully applied a solid color swatch to the fill of your selected art object, but the Tool box was still showing a gradient fill. Is that or is that not the case? If it is the case, it would not be exactly like picture #1, since in that picture the selected object is painted with a gradient, not with a solid color. In the situation you described earlier, the palettes would be looking like #1, but the selected art object would be looking like in #3. (Which I can't get to happen.)

    The only way to get the "fill" box in the toolbar to display a solid color
    after a custom gradient was selected was to go back into the gradient
    tab and delete all but the two original default color stops.

    When you are dragging the extra color stops off the gradient, you are ending up with no selected gradient color stop, since of course you can't select a color stop that no longer exists. But there should be many other ways to deselect a gradient color stop besides deleting it, such as selecting any other art object, or applying any other color to the art object that is selected.

    What happens when you have other art objects in your doent, and after redefining a gradient on one object, you change your selection to a different object?

    Does it seem to make any difference which tool is selected in the tool palette?
    Teri Guest