Professional Web Applications Themes

"CS" apparently not abbreviation for CREATIVE SUITE - Adobe Indesign Windows

Adobe sofar proved this isn't so, by releasing updates as soon as possible and upgrades average one per year Most Adobe products in the CS have been updated on a 1.5 year cycle, with the exception of Acrobat, which was on a 2 year cycle. Considering the cost of purchasing or upgrading to the CS, I wouldn't be surprised if the CS will have a 2 year cycle. This will allow for enough time for all of the CS products to recieve an appropriate amount of attention....and for people's bank accounts to recover :) Interestingly, the recent 1.5 upgrades of ...

  1. #21

    Default Re: "CS" apparently not abbreviation for CREATIVE SUITE

    Adobe sofar proved this isn't so, by releasing updates as soon as possible
    and upgrades average one per year

    Most Adobe products in the CS have been updated on a 1.5 year cycle, with the exception of Acrobat, which was on a 2 year cycle.

    Considering the cost of purchasing or upgrading to the CS, I wouldn't be surprised if the CS will have a 2 year cycle. This will allow for enough time for all of the CS products to recieve an appropriate amount of attention....and for people's bank accounts to recover :)

    Interestingly, the recent 1.5 upgrades of the software in the Adobe Video Collection have people complaining that the updates are too soon after the 1.0 release.
    Robert_Oliver@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #22

    How very Bill Gates of you.

    On Sat, 8 May 2004 00:07:51 -0700, [email]Thomas_Phinneyadobeforums.com[/email]
    wrote:
    >I will say this only because I have no idea (yet) what the next generation of Adobe apps will be called....
    >
    >If it were up to me, I'd call the next generation of the suite "Adobe Creative Suite XYZ" and the individual apps "InDesign XYZ" and so on. Where XYZ is some clever thing like XP, MX, 2000 or whatever.
    >
    >Cheers,

    Mommy Guest

  3. #23

    I agree that this CS naming is causing confusion. I think the chaos might start when they come out with CS 2 in the InDesign area. Some people still using PageMaker will hear that InDesign is better so they will go and get ID 2 because they heard that ver 2 is the latest one out. Then they are going to end up PO because the one they got is not the one with the stupid CS letters on it. LOL. They will probably get home all excited thinking they have the latest and greatest and when they send their files to someone or start reading more carefully and find out they got the wrong one and back to the store they go to get an exchange refund or whatever.
    Not the end of the world, but that would be enough to get me PO.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #24

    Naming convention has reduced importance if Adobe plan works: to transform Creative Suite into the "graphic Office". Nobody buys Word separately these days and Adobe wants to have the same within some time. As their revenues are excellent for 2004 T1, it seems Adobe's plan is working pretty well.

    I don't see any problem with naming future version. It would be less clear than an 1-2-3-... sequence. But Office was 97, 2000, XP, now 2003 and so on. Macromedia Studio was MX and now MX 2004. Next CS will be probably CS 2005 but Adobe can even remove the CS acronym and come with another idea.

    What really imports to Adobe was to produce a mark with CS. They did. What really imports to users is to keep track of version sequences to handle updates, patches and files. Although numerical sequences are simpler, I'm sure anybody can understand other naming conventions.
    Igor_Freiberger@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #25

    Some people still using PageMaker will hear that InDesign is better so
    they will go and get ID 2 because they heard that ver 2 is the latest
    one out.

    First off, where are they going to *get* InDesign 2 in a year or so? Adobe won't be selling it, nor will any major retailer. When InDesign "CS2" comes out ID2 will be fairly old and about the only place you will find it is on eBay. People will have to go out of their way to get a copy of it.

    They will probably get home all excited thinking they have the latest
    and greatest

    Why would they think this? A quick trip to the Adobe web site will show them the new-fangled IDCS2, but no trace of ID2. Opening up a current computer catalog or visiting a decent software store will show them IDCS2, not ID2.

    I certainly hope these poor people do a tiny amount of research before plunking down hundreds of dollars for software.
    Robert_Oliver@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #26

    Since InDesign CS is actually InDesign 3, wouldn't the next release be InDesign 4? I doubt they'll do "CS-2". How confusing would that be, that InDesign CS-2 is actually InDesign 4? They're pretty creative at Adobe, I'm sure they'll come up with something good.
    Lisa_Spike@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #27

    Adobe won't be selling it, nor will any major retailer. the only place
    you will find it is on eBay.

    We can't say for sure. They are still pushing PM these days and PM is preeetty old. After all, Adobe is still saying "Adobe PageMaker 7.0 software is the ideal page layout program" :)
    Hopefully by the time ID CS2 comes out PM will be mummified but it doesn't look that way yet.

    People will have to go out of their way to get a copy of it.

    I hope so.

    wouldn't the next release be InDesign 4?

    No, it would be CS 2.0
    LOL, see Robert?, even Lisa is a little confused.

    I'm sure they'll work it out some how but I still think the CS naming idea is a bad one.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #28

    They're still selling PM but they aren't selling PM 6.5 or 6.0. They are
    selling the most current release.

    And I'll say it again. Anyone who can't figure out what the current
    releases are isn't much of a target audience anyway.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  9. #29

    And I'll say it again. Anyone who can't figure out what the current releases
    are isn't much of a target audience anyway.

    True, but although some of the people buying the software know nothing about it, I think everyone is a target. If it's going to put money in Adobe's pocket, I don't think they care who buys it as long as the sales keep rising.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #30

    "I have Adobe on my XP computer."

    Adobe will take this person's money just as readily as they'll take mine.
    :-) BTW, it took me a week to figure out what you guys were yapping about
    when you started talking "CS" in the first place. But then again, I'm dumb
    enough to think the Wings had a chance.

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #31

    At least they made it to the second round. :(

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12