Professional Web Applications Themes

CS: Browsing CD with eps Files - Problems!! - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Greetings: This problem is now REALLY getting to me. I've burned some eps files to a CD-R. They copy back to my hard drive and open in CS ok. A problem occurs if I browse the folder containing these files directly on the CD-R. Some icons begin to change to thumbnail view and then I get the error message, "Windows has encountered a problem" and "Windows Explorer must shut down". This only happens with Adobe eps files when browsed (not opened) directly on the CD-R. Browsing Word doc's, jpg's etc. are no problem. Adobe claims they do not support this ...

  1. #1

    Default CS: Browsing CD with eps Files - Problems!!

    Greetings:

    This problem is now REALLY getting to me. I've burned some eps files to a CD-R. They copy back to my hard drive and open in CS ok. A problem occurs if I browse the folder containing these files directly on the CD-R.
    Some icons begin to change to thumbnail view and then I get the error message, "Windows has encountered a problem" and "Windows Explorer must shut down". This only happens with Adobe eps files when browsed (not opened) directly on the CD-R. Browsing Word doc's, jpg's etc. are no problem.

    Adobe claims they do not support this issue as it is off the hard drive. MS can't solve the problem and they claim it is an Adobe issue. I agree!
    But if Adobe refuses to support the problem, what can be done, if anything?

    The error message points to the file "aiicon.dll" and I suspect the problem lays there.

    I uninstalled Illustrator CS and had no problem browsing the files on the CD. (Of course, they would not open and the icons were different.) But once Adobe was reinstalled, the problem returned.

    Ideas?

    Thanks -

    Len
    Leonard_Wapner@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CS: Browsing CD with eps Files - Problems!!

    Ain't this grand?

    I've been experiencing this on a number of systems -- all running XP; 2000 never did this. AI/EPS files in the Recycle Bin, even on your HD, will do it too.

    This *HAS* to be Adobe's problem, as it's their crappy shell hook that seems to be dying. I just submitted a bug report about it a few days ago including a snapshot of the crash screen showing "aiicon.dll" but according to my webserver logs they've never even looked at it, so who knows if they even care.

    When you open a folder, Windows digs through the filetypes among other things and gets icons for the file types it encounters. Adobe's shell extension hooks into this behaviour and will first try and "sniff" the files and then return a customized icon based on what it finds. It probably does some other voodoo in different contexts as well (thumbnails, metadata, who knows).

    My only guess is that it can't cope with read-only filesystems, which is a joke.

    Anyway, you can "stop" this problem by searching for "aiicon.dll" and just renaming it.. should be somewhere like C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Shell -- this (unfortunately?) breaks all your pretty icons for AI-related files. You can manually go back into Windows' own file type setups and set the icons for ".eps" and ".ai" etc back to a particular icon from the DLL if you just can't live without these stupid pink flowers all over your files :) It's faster browsing discs with lots of files or big files anyway, aiicon just bogs you down as it looks at every file.

    If Adobe really told you they don't "support" browsing files off a CD, that is absolutely ridiculous. How do they expect people to back up their doents and use them? If Explorer crashes everytime you browse the CD, how are you going to copy them back to the HD-- is Adobe suggesting that all users need to use the Commandline just to access their doents?
    Bob_Maple@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    -Bump-

    Is Adobe going to deal with this problem? I know these aren't official support forums but there's got to be 1 person at Adobe running around keeping an eye on things who can respond.
    Bob_Maple@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Len,

    If you have the hard drive space, how about the workaround of copying all CD files onto a folder there for you to browse, then remove when no longer needed?

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Bob -

    This works well and, out of necessity, this is how I browse the CD. I was
    hoping that Adobe would offer some support on this issue but they refuse.
    We will note this when purchasing additional graphics software.

    Len

    <BobHilladobeforums.com> wrote in message
    > Len,
    >
    > If you have the hard drive space, how about the workaround of copying all
    CD files onto a folder there for you to browse, then remove when no longer
    needed?

    > Bob

    Leonard M. Wapner Guest