Professional Web Applications Themes

CS: "Could not read the file because there is not enough memory..." for placed PNG - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I was just up(?)graded to Illustrator CS from 10. I opened a map that was created in AI10, which links to a PNG image used as a tracing template. Now, I cannot see that template. I copied the map to a new doent and saved that. I have read the doent referenced in the FAQ. I have no idea whether there is anything my computer needs upgraded, but that is moot, since I have no authorization to do so. RAM is 2 Gb, Paging file zise is 2Gb (Min) and 4 Gb (Max). OS is Windows 2000, 5.00.2195, Service Pack ...

  1. #1

    Default CS: "Could not read the file because there is not enough memory..." for placed PNG

    I was just up(?)graded to Illustrator CS from 10. I opened a map that was created in AI10, which links to a PNG image used as a tracing template. Now, I cannot see that template.

    I copied the map to a new doent and saved that.

    I have read the doent referenced in the FAQ. I have no idea whether there is anything my computer needs upgraded, but that is moot, since I have no authorization to do so.

    RAM is 2 Gb, Paging file zise is 2Gb (Min) and 4 Gb (Max).

    OS is Windows 2000, 5.00.2195, Service Pack 4.

    Operater is very experienced with Illustrator, but harbours a deep hatred for Windows. And it's getting deeper.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Scott,

    Try this: <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/11fbe.htm>

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Not quite the issue. The file opens fine. I copied everything to a new file, and saved that to my hard drive. Quit and relaunched Illustrator, and I still cannot see a placed PNG image. I tried importing one, to see if there's a difference from images already linked in the file, and got the same message.

    Just tried it with EPS, GIF, PSD, and TIF files. GIF, JPG, and PSD gave the same message as the PNG. EPS file: "Could not place the Illustration." and no more help than that. TIF: "Not egough memory to load the TIF file." after a ridiculously long wait in which I was convinced Illustrator had crashed.

    So until this problem is solved, I don't have Illustrator.

    A coworker (Orker of Cows?) has what I believe is an identical system (same OS, same version of entire CS suite, same files accessed, Version Cue on or off) and does not have these problems.

    Does Adobe need more beta testers? I'd love to help, and it seems that the help is needed.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Update:

    The above listed problems exist on newly created files as well as existing files.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Scott,

    Since it's working fine on a co-worker's machine, I'd guess your problem must be either due to a corrupted program, no access (in XP Pro or Win2000 without System Administration rights), or something running in conflict. Have you tried to first do an Over Install or second a reinstall?

  6. #6

    I work for a big company with an IT policy carved into granite. Reinstalling software is done by IT, and only with authorization. Upgrading software or installing patches is an even harder process to initiate.

    As for currupted program or no access: The CS suite was installed just yesterday, when the problems began. In fact the entire computer was set up over the last two days. Access should not be an issue if all files are local, correct? The problem happens in newly created files, even with images I just created in Photoshop. All other programs can read the images that Illustrator won't (due to memory, not access restrictions).
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Scott,

    I'll bet YOU do not have full local system administrative rights either do you? Illustrator requires that for many functions.

  8. #8

    I'll bet YOU do not have full local system administrative rights either
    do you? Illustrator requires that for many functions.

    I probably don't, but I doubt that Illustrator needs a higher access level to place an image than Photoshop needs to create, save, reopen, edit, and save it.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Deleting Preferences (on a just installed program) seems to have fixed it.

    So now I suggest that Adobe not upgrade Illustrator beyond CS until this whole preferences problem is corrected. Maybe free T-shirts to us long-suffering users.
    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest