Professional Web Applications Themes

CS: EPS file does not preview in MS Word - Adobe Illustrator Windows

The Illustrator CS fails to generate encapsulated postscript (EPS) code that will preview in Microsoft Word (MS word office XP = Word 2002, and MS Word 2003). Tried different options, including legacy EPS for v9.x. Still no preview!! Note: The EPS preview works fine both versions of Word when generated with Illustrator v9.x. (I had to revert to the old version because my work is absolutely dependent on this.) Please confirm my observations (if you have time), and inform Adobe about this "bug" to put pressure on them to fix this. I called technical support ... seems like a problem ...

  1. #1

    Default CS: EPS file does not preview in MS Word

    The Illustrator CS fails to generate encapsulated postscript (EPS) code that will preview in Microsoft Word (MS word office XP = Word 2002, and MS Word 2003). Tried different options, including legacy EPS for v9.x. Still no preview!!

    Note: The EPS preview works fine both versions of Word when generated with Illustrator v9.x. (I had to revert to the old version because my work is absolutely dependent on this.)

    Please confirm my observations (if you have time), and inform Adobe about this "bug" to put pressure on them to fix this. I called technical support ... seems like a problem with Microsoft was the response. I was not succesful to convince them that i) it used to work, ii) this is step backwards to not support preview.

    Any workaround is appreciated. (I've tried the PNG format, it provides very poor quality figures and is not acceptable).

    P.S. The printed MS word doent prints correctly (on postscript printers) but it's essential that the preview shows on the screen too.

    Regards, Roger.
    Roger_Dejus@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CS: EPS file does not preview in MS Word

    Roger,
    I have exactly the same problems as you described.

    - imported *.eps files print well but there is no preview in Word (XP, Word 2002, SP2 and Illustrator CS)

    - *.png files "save for Office" shows absolutely POOR quality and ing the png up to 300dpi (via export) s them up and slows down the PC. I can't see any improvement in the png-format except for screen presentation :-(. I upgrade because of this feature, seems that was a bad idea!

    - on our XP-PC's I made the horrible observation that Illustrator graphics embedded as enhanced meta file - what allways worked well - fail, ALSO for graphics which already have been embedded.

    So is there any vector based format what can be used with MS Word?
    Do I have to export all my pics to 600dpi tif in order to get proper prints?
    Do I live in year 2004?

    Best Regards
    Lothman, Germany
    Lothman@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Any progress? I have the same problem. Is there any way you can export the eps in Illustrator 9.0 format?

    I badly need this to work in Word because png is either to large filesize or to bad quality when printing.

    / Hans
    Hans_Fjällemark@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    To both Hans and Lotham, what I've ended up doing for the time being is having BOTH Illustrator 9 and Illustrator CS installed. I use v.9 for all EPS plots that will go into MS word since it previews fine. I use v. CS for bitmaps that I tend to use for MS powerpoint.

    I'd rather have one program obviously (CS) but at the moment there is no other solution for me. I already owned v.9. Don't know what to do unless you have access to v.9 EXCEPT telling ADOBE.

    I've spent about 1 1/2 hours on the phone with their support (2 phone calls) and although, after the second call, I believe they acknowlegde there is a problem, it's not their problem (it's Microsoft's ...). Can you believe this! Yes, I can ... but I tried to tell them, Microsoft is a big player, you even have an entry under the File menu to export save files for MS format. Nevertheless, what used to work in v.9 no longer works. Please get this to work, I asked them. Moreover, a company as big as ADOBE claimed they didn't have MS word to test!!?? The first support tech. had not access to MS word at all. The second had MS word, but only an old version 2000 (not 2002 or 2003)! I put a file on their support ftp site that clearly illustrates the problem. The support told me, that even if he could verify the problem, there was nothing they could do. It's mindboggling to say the least.

    This was about 1 week ago. Haven't heard anything since then. I will have to call them again.

    P.S. Please call their support and tell them about the problem too. You should not have to be charged since it's an ADOBE problem. Not Microsoft.

    Thanks for your help,

  5. #5

    Gentlemen, I understand your frustration, especially when Adobe seems to show no interest in helping you with your problematic workflow scenario.

    That said, however, while Microsoft is a 'big player' on the typical business desktop, in the typical professional Postscript-oriented workflow, (where Adobe is the big player), Microsoft is nobody.

    Honestly, I'm surprised that you all note such big problems with the PNG format. I use it all the time when I need good on-screen and printed graphics in MS Office apps, and get excellent results, (with just 132-192ppi).

    I'd hate to suggest that you simnply throw more money at your problem, but if you can get your hands on an older version of CorelDraw, (versions 7-10 can be found on eBay for $20-$60US), its EPS and WMF export functions both work perfectly for Office-targeted vector graphics, (and in versions 9 & 10 PNG export works well too).
    John Mensinger Guest

  6. #6

    If you have a habit of opening .eps files in Illustrator you'll love what happens to some of the CorelDraw .eps images. Reminded me of the old game of pick-up sticks. Completely useless to an illustrator work flow.
    Bob_W.@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I faced the same problems and found exporting to Il8-EPS as a work-around.

    HTH
    Markus_Walker@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    found a work around for this issue

    I am using illustrator cs and noticed my files no longer previewed in the newest version of word.

    At first i thought it was a cs problem because i updated both at the same time, also i tried some illustrator 10 eps files and they seemed to work.

    After closer inspection the illustrator 10 eps files only worked half of the time where they used to work all of the time with the old version of msword.

    so i new the problem was a microsoft issue not an adobe one.

    So i went into the microsoft word folder found the eps graphics import file and changed the name so the new version would no longer recognize it. Then i inserted the old eps graphic import file into the folder in new version of word (Same location as the one where i changed the original name. i started word and imported a new cs eps file and it imported and viewed without a problem.

    The old eps graphics filter dealie from 1997 works better than the one from 2004, pretty crazy if you ask me.

    But it fixed the problem so
    natS88@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Roger,

    I just tried exporting the Illustrator CS (Windows XP platform) file into an EPS legacy version "Illustrator 8" file and it shows up and prints just fine in Office XP's Word. You do have to "export" instead of "saving" but this option will work!

    Lauren
    Lauren Guest

  10. #10

    Lauren, I just confirmed that your findings are correct. Thus, it works when exporting EPS files to legacy 8. I tried this before (for EPS legacy 10 and 9, but not 8).

    Please notice that Illustrator 9 (standalone previous version that I use too) works fine in this regards, i.e., previews fine. However, the Illustrator CS exporting to legacy 9 does not work!!

    Thus, I would claim this is an Adobe problem. The most frustrating part is that Adobe does not listen. I've contacted the Adobe technical support more than once and they "blame" Microsoft.

    Will have to wait and see. Perhaps someone at Adobe reads this forum.

  11. #11

    Roger,

    As a Mac user at home and PC user at work, I find that most of these incompatibility issues occur with the Windows platform! I have been using Illustrator since version 5.5 and have version 10 at home running OS X so I know the program quite well. I have found that the bottom line in production is the "quick and dirty" way; we do what we have to do in order to get the job done! Sometimes we just have deal with the work-arounds for awhile until the big software companies figure out how to address the needs of those of us in the trenches! Good luck...

    Lauren
    Lauren Guest