Professional Web Applications Themes

CS In Design -- Bottom text position - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi, I would like to place my cursor on the last line of text and know the position of that line to make sure that the bottom lines arrive at the same point on every page. I can do this just fine if my page is made up of one text box which spans top to bottom margin, but when my page contains several smaller boxes one after the other (which it must do to alternate from single column to double column and back) I cannot get the exact line position relative to the page -- it gives me the ...

  1. #1

    Default CS In Design -- Bottom text position

    Hi,

    I would like to place my cursor on the last line of text and know the position of that line to make sure that the bottom lines arrive at the same point on every page.

    I can do this just fine if my page is made up of one text box which spans top to bottom margin, but when my page contains several smaller boxes one after the other (which it must do to alternate from single column to double column and back) I cannot get the exact line position relative to the page -- it gives me the position within the box. Grr. Of course, I could do the math, but I'm dealing with a 600 page book.

    Is there a setting I can change so that the info pallette gives me my text cursor position relative to the page and not the text frame?

    Thanks!
    Kristina
    Kristina_Drake@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CS In Design -- Bottom text position

    I use guides for this. I just put a "last line" guide on the master page. In
    fact, I put several guides on the master page: last line, last line plus
    one, last line minus one, baseline of first line, baseline of chapter
    number, etc. Since they come from the master page, it's really hard to
    accidentally move them.

    Ken Benson

    Kenneth_Benson@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Why not set up a baseline grid and align your text to it? That way every
    page will line up the same and a line can only be out by a complete line and
    will be obvious.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Ken,

    Mmmm. Thanks -- but using guides means I'm aligning the text visually, no?

    I'm aware of the baseline grid, but it actually creates way more problems for this type of publication.

    I know I can get the position to the point by hovering my arrow over the text, but of course it's not as precise as getting the cursor in the text and taking that position.

    Maybe this is something InDesign can include in the future?
    (It could be an option in the Info pallette.)

    Thanks anyway,

  5. #5

    > using guides means I'm aligning the text visually, no?

    Yes. But I think visual alignment is sufficient, no? I mean when the reader
    looks at your pages and sees that they balance, this is visual. When the
    proofreader holds page 12 and 13 next to each other to see if they balance,
    this is visual. If you work in whole points, I think you'll find that you
    can be extremely accurate.

    getting the cursor in the text and taking that position.

    This would be much less accurate than matching baseline of text to a guide.

    Suggest it in the "Indesign Feature Requests" thread. I would like this too.
    What program are you coming from that does this...Pagemaker?

  6. #6

    Hi,

    We were using Word Perfect 5.1 -- entirely different. No text boxes, the position given can only be relevant to the page, and we could, within a page, alternate between single and double columns.

    We had tons of good reasons for switching, so I'm not begrudging the loss of that feature. However, I work with someone who is EXTREMELY exigent about this (and resistant to change).

    Last publication we enlarged the text, inserted the letter g in the last line and made sure that the tail touched but did not pass the guideline at the bottom of the page. Nutty. (Over 600 pages...)

    Oh, yeah, we're working in fractions of points, adjusting our leading to 9.6, 9.7 ... 10.1, 10.2 etc... to get the exact match at the bottom or squeeze text up. (Clearly problems with our work methods are not an InDesign problem.)

    So, I will try inserting a guide on my master page (at the precise point) and then adjusting the baseline of the text to that guide.
    Your point that the reader asesses the page visually (and not precisely) is a very good one. May use it myself when the argument comes up again...

    Thank you!

  7. #7

    > made sure that the tail touched

    I usually align to baselines (instead of descenders), only because it's
    mathematically constant. You can add up the number of lines and come up with
    an actual number for where the last baseline should be if there are X number
    of lines on the page. Oh, and also because different typefaces are different
    sizes, so the descender depth varies.

    9.6, 9.7 ... 10.1, 10.2 etc...

    Yow. This sounds like a *lot* of work. Many of my clients don't allow
    feathering, preferring instead to add space above heads and around lists and
    extracts--IOW, where the space already is.

    But if you *are* going to use feathering, you should know that there are
    programs that will do it for you, automatically, inside limits that you set.
    Ventura is the best at this, but Framemaker will also do it in a limited
    fashion. In Ventura, you set each paragraph style to allow specified amounts
    of variable space above the paragraph, below the paragraph, or between lines
    (feathering). What this means for you is that pages either justify perfectly
    to the bottom of the frame or they don't. You no longer have to check each
    page bottom. It's really obvious--the pages that won't vertically justify
    (because of a head that moves to the next page, for example) are visibly
    short. The pages that will justify are exactly justified.

  8. #8

    Thank you.
    I will look into Ventura, though we may have to stay with InDesign. But thanks -- baselines and not descenders is definitely the way to go. I just tried the guides, and it's probably better that way -- trying to get the points exact to the decimal was eating up a lot of time.

    You've been very helpful!