Professional Web Applications Themes

CS2 Footnotes - Adobe Indesign Windows

Although I'm very pleased to see that footnotes are now supported by InDesign, there is nothing wrong with wanting a little bit more..... I wonder if anyone has looked at the footnote capabilities and can tell me if the new Indesign will support TWO sequences of footnotes within the same doent. I have a book that requires content based footnotes and typographical footnotes, and it would be a lot easier for the reader if they knew which was which. John...

  1. #1

    Default CS2 Footnotes

    JohnSWhite@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CS2 Footnotes

    I don't have ID CS2 yet and am hanging out to test the footnotes feature too, but I fear the answer to your question is No. You can see a screenshot of the footnotes dialogue at <http://design.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000713039041/> . I can't see any suggestion of two footnote streams there. By the bye, what do you mean by "typographical footnotes"? It's not a distinction I'm familiar with.

    And where are all the comments about ID CS2 in this forum? Is it not available in the US yet? The PhotoShop forum is awash with CS2 comments and I thought the suite was shipping already.
    Dominic_Hurley@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    As long as we're on this, does anybody know if you can have both a single series of ongoing footnotes at base of page while also having a separate single series of endnotes at the end of the file, all automatically placed correctly from a Word file? This is really what I need the most.

    Mitra
    Kalavinka@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks, Dominic for the link. I suppose there is still hope for making a distinction between the two footnote streams, even if they have to have consecutive numbering, perhaps a bullet.
    I might be using the wrong term but the book is William Harvey's original version of his De motu cordis printed in English in 1653 (he discovered the circulation of the blood). The first edition was Latin printed in 1628 and full of typos which appeared in an errata list with the 1628. When I republish the 1653 edition I want to show the words that the errata is correcting (basically to demonstrate that they are mistakes introduced by the printer because he could not read Harvey's 'orrible handwriting).
    Regards

  5. #5

    As far as I have been able to ascertain, ID CS2 has absolutely no support for endnotes.

    John, are you intending to place these typographical footnotes in the same stream as the text footnotes? Personally, I would find that very confusing. If they must appear as notes on the same page, I'd do them as sidenotes (you could try using ID CS2's anchored frames for this). Alternatively, I'd look at putting them as endnotes.
    Dominic_Hurley@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I believe that ID CS2 can import endnotes for Word. It's one of the options in the Import Options when you place a Word file. But I think it just plops them at the end of the file without the controls that it has for footnotes.

    I don't have a Word file with endnotes to check this, however.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Actually, that's fine the "plopping" of endnotes at the end with "no controls." The thing that I'm not wanting to gamble on is being able to do both footnotes _and_ endnotes in the same file.

  8. #8

    Dominic, Yes, thanks for the idea, I was not aware of the anchored margin text, but once I heard about it I realised that the four or five glosses that appear in the 1653 edition will be easily placed where they should be - that is another problem solved.
    I have two footnote streams in Word, but I also left align the content/references stream and right align the typographical stream, so they can be seen apart. I wonder if there could be two paragraph styles for the footnote text?
    Anyway, I'm not complaining, footnotes at the bottom of the page is good news, the work round for the details will surely be there, I hope.

  9. #9

    Hey Gang,

    I've been experimenting with placing word docs that have footnotes. The built-in style of Footnote Text, and Footnote Reference (for the superscripted number at the beginning) is at play on the word docs. Pretty much a standard condition.

    I tried tinkering with the styles pane in the word doc. I made sure the word footnote style was based on "no style" rather than Normal. Back in InDesign CS2 I placed the word doc, but the text placed and was converted to No paragraph style for the footnotes.

    Back in Word, I made my own stye called Footnote and applied it to the 4 or 5 footnotes in the word doc. Saved and closed.

    So I place the file into a new doent, and the styles and char styles populate, but the footnotes no longer have a style attached to them. They show basic paragraph style, and are divorced from the word doc styles called Footnote.

    So I went into Type > Footnote Options and identified the footnote style to be used. Also the character style for the first number was chosen so that the reference number would be superscripted.

    I placed the word doc this second time, and the footnote style was attached, but the character style was not superscripting.

    Mind you, that it does this at all is very impressive!

    Something doesn't link up (in my mind). I would think that styles in the word doc would be active when the file was placed into Indy.

    So what is the logical preparation of the footnoted word doc into InDesign CS2? How should I prepare?

    Mike Witherell in Washington DC
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  10. #10

    I have a (related?) question regarding footnotes. My journal uses a layout with two-column text but full-width footnotes. I have been using a workaround (separate series of linked frames, with a separate story, set manually). Experimenting with CS2, I cannot figure out if there's any way to have the footnotes span the two columns.

    Any idea if this can be done?
    Montgomery_Kosma@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    InDesign CS2, like InDesign CS, takes Word endnotes and "plops" them at the end of the story.

    In a CS2 file, you can have dynamic footnotes placed at the bottom of the column in which the footnote reference appears and "plopped", static endnotes, all in the same story.

    AFAIK, there is no way to place the footnotes anywhere other than at the bottom of a column - i.e., no fill-width fottnotes with columnar text.
    Stu_Bloom_x@adobeforums.com Guest