Professional Web Applications Themes

css and select elements (mac) - Mac Programming

Are there any style elements that work on select elements on Apple/IE? I want colored text, colored background, or just about anything colored in a select drop-down but can't seem to make it work on Apple/IE. Thanks, -James...

  1. #1

    Default css and select elements (mac)

    Are there any style elements that work on select elements on Apple/IE?

    I want colored text, colored background, or just about anything
    colored in a select drop-down but can't seem to make it work on
    Apple/IE.

    Thanks,
    -James
    James Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: css and select elements (mac)

    "James" <musick_jameshotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:2ff5d202.0308111402.71def541posting.google.c om...
    > Are there any style elements that work on select elements on Apple/IE?
    >
    > I want colored text, colored background, or just about anything
    > colored in a select drop-down but can't seem to make it work on
    > Apple/IE.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -James

    Maybe someone else has found some style properties that work on Mac IE, but
    I haven't.

    The problem is that browsers should be using the widget sets from their
    operating system to render form elements. The fact that Win IE and other
    browsers allow you to modify their form control styles does not mean it
    should ever be used. If you're concerned about making your web site as
    accessible as possible, you should never style your form elements. Even if
    it looks better, people who don't know anything about their computer will be
    confused about how to use your form. They will not relate the
    darkorange-on-lightpink text box to the black-on-white text box. They will
    think they have to learn a whole new system of computer interaction before
    they can use your form (I've worked in Internet tech support for four years
    and this is a very common issue, but I live in the sticks, so the people out
    here are bred a little duller than usual).

    My humble advice: If your form has anything to do with making you or your
    company money, leave the form elements alone. Let the visitor's OS
    determine how to render form controls. However, if this is just a play site
    and your forms don't meet some critical need, adding style to form elements
    helps integrate the "look" of your site, but don't expect it to be viewable
    on everyone's browser--just like that crazy IE scrollbar styling thing.

    If you want a real surprise, view your forms on a Unix machine running the X
    Window system. Have a look at your form using any two or three of the
    fifty-some-odd desktop/window management systems for X Window and then
    change the desktop style in one of those management systems and wha-bam!
    Your form styles will be tossed out the window on almost all of these
    platforms and their own widget sets/styles will be used in favor of enhanced
    usability.

    Consider your form style rules a "suggestion" to the visitor's browser.
    That should put you in the right frame of mind.

    Good luck,
    Zac

    Zac Hester Guest

  3. Moderated Post