Professional Web Applications Themes

CSS as a general template - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Hi I'm trying to get the page (link below) I'm working on to be a general template for the rest of the site, can I use CSS for this? I am already using css for the centred non tiled background, how much more of this page (not including the main text body which will change dependin upon which sidebar link is being viewed) can be done with a css? ie. the sidebar jpeg and links (not active as yet) and the gif on the right. I'm a newbie so I may have misunderstood the use of css. Does CSS get ...

  1. #1

    Default CSS as a general template

    Hi I'm trying to get the page (link below) I'm working on to be a general template for the rest of the site, can I use CSS for this? I am already using css for the centred non tiled background, how much more of this page (not including the main text body which will change dependin upon which sidebar link is being viewed) can be done with a css? ie. the sidebar jpeg and links (not active as yet) and the gif on the right.

    I'm a newbie so I may have misunderstood the use of css. Does CSS get this specific or is it just for general formatting etc?

    Sorry for the number of questions but as I say I'm a newbie

    please help!

    lib

    Referring URLs
    [url]http://www.abdn.ac.uk/diss/library/geninfo/sites/taylor/edc/edc3.hti[/url]

    lib319 webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CSS as a general template

    I think I understand your question ...

    CSS is used to specify layouts, but not necessarily to *create* them. You
    still need to place your elements (text, element tags) in the HTML. CSS is
    more of a formatting definition, which in a way is a template. For example
    you can create a template in DW and use a CSS to define what it looks like

    Does that make sense?

    "lib319" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi I'm trying to get the page (link below) I'm working on to be a general
    template for the rest of the site, can I use CSS for this? I am already
    using css for the centred non tiled background, how much more of this page
    (not including the main text body which will change dependin upon which
    sidebar link is being viewed) can be done with a css? ie. the sidebar jpeg
    and links (not active as yet) and the gif on the right.

    > I'm a newbie so I may have misunderstood the use of css. Does CSS get
    this specific or is it just for general formatting etc?

    > Sorry for the number of questions but as I say I'm a newbie
    >
    > please help!
    >
    > lib
    >

    > Referring URLs
    > [url]http://www.abdn.ac.uk/diss/library/geninfo/sites/taylor/edc/edc3.hti[/url]

    Webfairy Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you for this,

    As I've already made one page (see link) which will be the general layaout for them all
    (just with a different body of text each time) I take it that Css can be used to define all
    the elements in these pages, I just need to make copies of one page but have them all attached
    to a CSS.

    I want to be able to change the CSS properties once to change all the pages ie. to place a new
    background image or different jpeg on the left of the page.

    Is this possible?