Professional Web Applications Themes

CSS for Print Media - What to do with a FORM? - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

I'm dealing with creating an HTML page for use in a web-based software. The user wants to be able to use a print-only stylesheet when sending this HTML <form> page to the printer. I know I can convert scrolling textareas and input boxes into flat, borderless text with ease in the CSS, but what about SELECT dropdowns and checkboxes? Is there any way to turn these form elements into flattened text output when sending the page to the printer?...

  1. #1

    Default CSS for Print Media - What to do with a FORM?

    I'm dealing with creating an HTML page for use in a web-based software. The
    user wants to be able to use a print-only stylesheet when sending this HTML
    <form> page to the printer. I know I can convert scrolling textareas and input
    boxes into flat, borderless text with ease in the CSS, but what about SELECT
    dropdowns and checkboxes? Is there any way to turn these form elements into
    flattened text output when sending the page to the printer?

    Drew PCR Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CSS for Print Media - What to do with a FORM?

    I'm not sure why you want to do this? But - no, there's no way you can do
    that as far as I know....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

    "Drew PCR" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I'm dealing with creating an HTML page for use in a web-based software.
    > The
    > user wants to be able to use a print-only stylesheet when sending this
    > HTML
    > <form> page to the printer. I know I can convert scrolling textareas and
    > input
    > boxes into flat, borderless text with ease in the CSS, but what about
    > SELECT
    > dropdowns and checkboxes? Is there any way to turn these form elements
    > into
    > flattened text output when sending the page to the printer?

    Murray *ACE* Guest

  3. #3

    Well, basically I'm dealing with a form that's HTML based, but the guy needs to
    print it off as a PDF to mail. The problem is that the software wasn't
    designed for that sort of thing, and when you print the page, it still looks
    like a web form. I wanted to see if I could use the media=print rig to
    convert it into something that didn't look like a website. I got it all
    figured out as long as he doesn't need checkboxes or selects... just wondered
    if there was a nice way around those.

    Drew PCR Guest

  4. #4

    Can you imagine what a state list or country list would do to the format of
    your printed form? The only way I can think of to get what you might use
    would be to have the print stylesheet to display:none the <select> tags and
    correspondingly display:block some 'mock' input fields for this data.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert

  5. #5

    Yeah, the idea was to convert the selected text in a one-line select dropdown
    into flat text. As for checkboxes, I was trying to find a way to javascript
    them so that a class was added to the checked items. Unfortunately that
    doesn't get rid of the labels. :P

    Oh well. Guess it's text fields and boxes only!

    Drew PCR Guest