Professional Web Applications Themes

CTX server problems - Oracle Server

Hi, I'm running a 8.1.7 Oracle database on TRU64. Some of the applications that use this database are running free text searches. I have noticed that the CTX service processes keep dying. I started logging stdout to a file upon starting up the ctx server and saw that two of three servers started die within about 4 minutes of startup with this error: RG-50857: oracle error in drueixe oracle error in drueixe ORA-20000: interMedia Text error: DRG-10204: server update failed ORA-01000: maximum open cursors exc 14:01:35 11/24/03 === Server shutting down === I have looked at the alert log around ...

  1. #1

    Default CTX server problems

    Hi,

    I'm running a 8.1.7 Oracle database on TRU64. Some of the applications
    that use this database are running free text searches. I have noticed
    that the CTX service processes keep dying. I started logging stdout to
    a file upon starting up the ctx server and saw that two of three servers
    started die within about 4 minutes of startup with this error:

    RG-50857: oracle error in drueixe
    oracle error in drueixe
    ORA-20000: interMedia Text error:
    DRG-10204: server update failed
    ORA-01000: maximum open cursors exc
    14:01:35 11/24/03 === Server shutting down ===

    I have looked at the alert log around this time and cannot find anything
    that shows me that max open cursors are exceeded, and no trace file to
    look up to see what in fact caused this.

    The third CTX server that I start (two die as above) continues for over
    a day and then reaches max open cursors and shuts down.

    I am wondering whether others have seen a CTX server that is maxing out
    open cursors and whether it is an application running that is causing
    the CTX server to max out.

    Can someone please suggest how I can figure this one out?

    thanks,
    -AK

    AK Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CTX server problems

    AK <org> wrote

    Default value is 50 open cursors. It is set via OPEN_CURSORS (pfile or
    spfile or ALTER SYSTEM).

    From the Oracle Reference Manual:
    --
    OPEN_CURSORS specifies the maximum number of open cursors (handles to
    private SQL areas) a session can have at once. You can use this

    It is important to set the value of OPEN_CURSORS high enough to
    prevent your application from running out of open cursors. The number
    will vary from one application to another. Assuming that a session
    does not open the number of cursors specified by OPEN_CURSORS, there
    is no added overhead to setting this value higher than actually
    needed.
    --

    Set it higher. Also keep an eye on potential cursor leakage - i.e.
    PL/SQL or Pro*C or other client code that opens cursors and never

    E.g. returning a ref cursor from PL/SQL to Pro*C and then doing a
    close on that refcursor pointer in Pro*C does not close the ref cursor
    in Oracle. Unsure if this is a Pro*C bug, but saw it happen on a 3
    tier (Corba) system. The fix I proposed in that case was to call a
    PL/SQL proc with the refcursor variable in order to close it in Oracle
    after the Pro*C code was done with the refcursor - it worked thus far.

    --
    Billy
    Billy Guest

  3. #3

    We had the same sort of problems with 8.1.7.x on solaris 32 bits. There was
    no fix at oracle. SOlution was to monitor the process from the OS side and
    restart as necessary. One of our database instance exhibitd the problem, the
    other one was not, but it was not as heavily used. Looks like some sort of
    cursor leakage (opened but never closed).

    Be warned that the ctxsrv process will be phased out. I think it is not even
    available in 9i. Instead take a look on metalink for the CTX_SCHEDULE
    package. It uses dbms_job to submit index resyncs from time to time
    (programmable)

    Intermedia is NOT designed to index stuff "on the fly". Normally, you
    refresh the text indices from time to time. (Updates and inserts to indexed
    columns are queued in some tables) But, normally, users want to see their
    changes "immediately" you will have to design around this and/or educate
    your users.

    We have some indexes here that are refreshed every 15 minutes. This is the
    minimum time we can give our users. Otherwise, your system will always be
    indexing and that's not a good idea.

    "AK" <org> a écrit dans le message de

    Guy Guest