Professional Web Applications Themes

Cube like Window Rotation - Mac Programming

Hi, If user fast switching is enabled in Panther, loginwindow does a rather spectacular rotation of the desktop window (cube like) when switching to another user without logging out the first one. At first, I thought that it was a loginwindow only feature. But the same thing happens in SetupAssistant as well. SetupAssistant uses a small centered window and when the user presses the Continue button, it changes the window's main view in the same manner, rotating cube. I suppose that this is also utilized or will be utilized by other Cocoa applications under Panther. So, is this a new ...

  1. #1

    Default Cube like Window Rotation

    Hi,

    If user fast switching is enabled in Panther, loginwindow does a
    rather spectacular rotation of the desktop window (cube like) when
    switching to another user without logging out the first one.
    At first, I thought that it was a loginwindow only feature.
    But the same thing happens in SetupAssistant as well. SetupAssistant
    uses a small centered window and when the user presses the Continue
    button, it changes the window's main view in the same manner, rotating
    cube.
    I suppose that this is also utilized or will be utilized by other
    Cocoa applications under Panther.

    So, is this a new ApplicationKit feature? Is it something that a Cocoa
    programmer can use for his own application? Is it a CG API addition?
    Is it doented? Is this rotation a responsibility of NSWindow or an
    NSWindow subclass? Is it a call directly to the WindowServer?

    Perhaps it is a bit early to ask about it but I would like to use it
    in my application programming for Panther.
    Any reply will be greatly appreciated.
    p. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cube like Window Rotation

    "p. assimakopoulos" wrote:

    No, yes, no, no, no and no.

    The cube transition is an OpenGL effect, done by each app that uses it.
    It first showed up in Keynote, and was then adopted by the Setup
    Assistant and Login Window apps.

    There was a session on Keynote at WWDC this year, which included a
    description of how they implemented their GL-based transition effects.
    If you have a set of the WWDC DVDs, watch the session. Otherwise, try
    asking the question on Apple's OpenGL developer list, which you can find
    at lists.apple.com.

    HTH,

    -jcr
    John Guest

  3. #3

    OpenGL is a bit far for me, at least form now.
    Anyway, many thanks for your reply.
    p. Guest

  4. #4

    In article <google.com>,
    gr (p. assimakopoulos) wrote:

    Actually, OpenGL is very easy to learn. Try reading the NeHe tutorials
    (http://nehe.gamedev.net) and you'll soon appreciate the simplicity.

    Of course, using that to do the effect on a window is a little more
    complicated. But the OpenGL part itself is *very* straightforward. IMHO
    OpenGL is one of the most beautiful graphics APIs I've used so far.

    Though Cocoa's Quartz wrappers are a close second, and definitely more
    comfy in the "import image types" department.

    Cheers,
    -- M. Uli Kusterer
    http://www.zathras.de
    Uli Guest