Professional Web Applications Themes

Curly Braces - Adobe Indesign Windows

Greetings, all. I am trying to reset an old, out of print book. The book makes frequent use of curly braces -- "{" and "}" --that encompass multiple lines, something like this: phrase a phrase b phrase c phrase d The curly braces could be to the left, or right. They might embrace all four lines, or only a-c, or perhaps c and d. At the moment, I have no idea how this might be achieved. The closest I come (idea-wise) is to put the phrases in a column and to put the curly brace in the neighboring column at ...

  1. #1

    Default Curly Braces

    Greetings, all. I am trying to reset an old, out of print book. The book makes frequent use of curly braces -- "{" and "}" --that encompass multiple lines, something like this:

    phrase a
    phrase b
    phrase c
    phrase d

    The curly braces could be to the left, or right. They might embrace all four lines, or only a-c, or perhaps c and d. At the moment, I have no idea how this might be achieved. The closest I come (idea-wise) is to put the phrases in a column and to put the curly brace in the neighboring column at a larger point size, but that would look awful, all out of propotion. Can anyone help?

    Best regards,

    Keith
    keithdvo@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Curly Braces

    You're going to have to do something like that. The trick is to find a font that has curly braces that can stand vertical stretching.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Yikes! Thank you for our response. I fear you're right but hopefully someone else might know of some script or tool or something. It seems clear that publishers have something in place. I wonder how they do it?

    Thanks, Dave!

  4. #4

    What I have done in those cases (e.g. in dramatis personae for plays of Shakespeare) is take a curly brace from a suitable font (the brace has to be rather simple) and convert it to a curve. You then can stretch it vertically to span the lines needed.

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    A great idea. I suppose if I do that, I can slice the object and expand the top and bottom and then drag the lines back. Eek! It's a lot of work (though I'll probably just need a few and could keep a file), but it sounds a better solution perhaps that using tables with different sized type!

    Thanks!!!!

  6. #6

    If you have made one, you've made them all. All you have to do is select the top nodes with the direct selection tool and drag them up; next do the same with the bottom nodes and voilą.

  7. #7

    Of course! I'm very grateful!

  8. #8

    There's another way to do this, one which I've used quite often. Using the symbol font, select alt236, alt237, alt 238 (or alt252, alt253, alt 254) . You'll see these are the three component parts of the brace (top, middle, bottom). You need to place these directly above each other and adjust the leading to bring them together. You can also add in alt239 between the top (or bottom pieces) and the middle to extend the length as much as you want. Sounds fiddly but it's not that bad and looks very nice.
    Dominic_Hurley@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Wow! I never knew those existed! Or, rather, I had always seen them and wondered what they were for. Thanks!

  10. #10

    Keith,

    There's a plugin that provides curly braces for mulitple lines. It requires PostScript output, which can be accomplished with PDF output. It was designed for a unique cookbook recipe format, but sounds like it may fit your needs as well.
    Its named Kitchen Wisdom. Information is at <http://www.wiskit.com/indesign/>

    Paul
    Paul_L_Plummer@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    And, wouldn't you know I love cooking! :-) Thank you, Paul!
    keithdvo@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    There are various sized braces in Lucida Math Extended (I think) and in the other Math fonts. These will bear well for use in extended sizes without the distortions of some other braces.
    Don_McCahill@adobeforums.com Guest