Professional Web Applications Themes

cursor 200-problem on mac but not pc? how to swap cursor image? - Macromedia Director Lingo

Hi, I want to hide the cursor in my projector. I've been using "cursor 200" for some time now and it works fine. But now, when I try my projector on a MacOS I still see the cursor. After browsing this forum extensively I found several possible solutions but none doesn't seem to work! I tried using a sprite the size of the stage in channel 1 and had several: on mouseWithin, on mouseLeave, onMouseEnter, etc, etc cursor 200 end But this doesn't work. I also tried "retriggering the sprite using the following FRAME script (in a loop): on exitFrame ...

  1. #1

    Default cursor 200-problem on mac but not pc? how to swap cursor image?

    Hi,

    I want to hide the cursor in my projector. I've been using "cursor 200" for some time now and it works fine. But now, when I try my projector on a MacOS I still see the cursor.
    After browsing this forum extensively I found several possible solutions but none doesn't seem to work!

    I tried using a sprite the size of the stage in channel 1 and had several:

    on mouseWithin, on mouseLeave, onMouseEnter, etc, etc
    cursor 200
    end

    But this doesn't work. I also tried "retriggering the sprite using the following FRAME script (in a loop):

    on exitFrame
    cursor 0
    cursor -1
    cursor 200
    end

    The above was suggested by a member of this forum but for me, this only results in a flickering cursor.
    I couldn't find any other real possible solutions for my problem. Why is it that "cursor 200" works fine in Windows but fails in MacOS?
    Fortunately for me there's nothing to SEE in my project (everything consists of sound, there are no visuals and user only sees a black screen).
    Now my idea is to somehow change the mousecursor into something completely black (a black square or a black arrow), since then there is nothing to see!

    What is the easiest way to do this? I've done some cursor-coding before but this mostly consisted of using a sprite to follow the mouseLoc and making the cursor invisible. But since I can't seem to make the cursor invisble I need to know how do I change the ACTUAL cursor image?

    Is that possible and if so how? Reducing the cursorsize to 1 pixel would also do the job if anyone knows how to do this? Any other suggestions/solutions (and especially coding) is highly welcome since I only have 2 days left before this project goes into pressing :(:(

    HELP ME :?

    Thanks

    Richard

    nickelsock webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Hi Richard,

    Please read this TechNote and see if it solves your problem.
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/437[/url]

    Regards,

    Mike Soriano
    Macromedia Technical Support

    "nickelsock" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to hide the cursor in my projector. I've been using "cursor 200"
    for some time now and it works fine. But now, when I try my projector on a
    MacOS I still see the cursor.
    > After browsing this forum extensively I found several possible solutions
    but none doesn't seem to work!

    > I tried using a sprite the size of the stage in channel 1 and had several:
    >
    > on mouseWithin, on mouseLeave, onMouseEnter, etc, etc
    > cursor 200
    > end
    >
    > But this doesn't work. I also tried "retriggering the sprite using the
    following FRAME script (in a loop):

    > on exitFrame
    > cursor 0
    > cursor -1
    > cursor 200
    > end
    >
    > The above was suggested by a member of this forum but for me, this only
    results in a flickering cursor.
    > I couldn't find any other real possible solutions for my problem. Why is
    it that "cursor 200" works fine in Windows but fails in MacOS?
    > Fortunately for me there's nothing to SEE in my project (everything
    consists of sound, there are no visuals and user only sees a black screen).
    > Now my idea is to somehow change the mousecursor into something completely
    black (a black square or a black arrow), since then there is nothing to see!

    > What is the easiest way to do this? I've done some cursor-coding before
    but this mostly consisted of using a sprite to follow the mouseLoc and
    making the cursor invisible. But since I can't seem to make the cursor
    invisble I need to know how do I change the ACTUAL cursor image?

    > Is that possible and if so how? Reducing the cursorsize to 1 pixel would
    also do the job if anyone knows how to do this? Any other
    suggestions/solutions (and especially coding) is highly welcome since I only
    have 2 days left before this project goes into pressing :(:(

    > HELP ME :?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Richard

    Mike Soriano Guest

  3. #3

    Hi,

    thanks for your answer about the TechNote. I had already tried (as I wrote earlier):

    on startMovie
    cursor 0
    cursor -1
    cursor 200
    end startMovie

    but that resulted in a flickering cursor (due to the cursor -1 then?)... so I'm gonna try it like the Technote advices (so without the "cursor -1") and I hope it works.

    I didn't mention this in my earlier post but I'm using the SetMouse Xtra in my movie. Did anyone here experience similar problems while using this free Xtra? I know (and as the Technote also explains) that the Xtra is not the main cause for this problem, but I'm wondering if the Xtra might effect the problem in some way (enhance it and make it worse for instance)... anyone?

    In case the solution from the Technote DOESN'T work: how can I change the actual image of the cursor to, for instance, a 1 pixel image or 1 black square or a complete black cursor or whatever shape just as long as it is black...? And I don't mean like making the real cursor invisible (cursor 200) and then putting a black sprite on top of it. I mean really change the way the cursor looks (is it replacable by a sprite for instance?). Could anyone please tell me how to do this. I'm trying to find out how I can replace the cursor myself already using this forum and Google-searches but any help is really really appreciated!!!!!!!!!

  4. #4

    -- to make your own cursor draw a 1 bit (has to be one bit) icon ie a black square and then ceate
    -- another one the same size to use as a mask then put it in cast member 1 and 2
    -- should work fine
    -- its all in the help files

    on startmovie me

    cursor [1, 2]

    end

    dogboyjr webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    Hi everyone,

    I used the 16x16 pixel bitmap method and at least my cursor now is a black square. Just one more question: in my manual (I use Director MX) it says MacIntosh can only handly 16x16 and not 32 by 32 pixel bitmaps. Right now I am programming on PC/Win98 SE and in the Animated Cursor Editor I can't choose the option 16x16 so I'm forced to use a 32x32 pixel bitmap. In the manual it says that when you can't choose the 16x16 option, this is because THE SYSTEM can't handle this.
    Why is this? Is there something I can change so my system can handle it?
    Does this mean I have to make a separete Animated Cursor for my Mac projector and my PC projector just in case the machine that my movie runs on can't handle 32x32(mac) or 16x16 (some pc's like mine???). Or is it so that my machine cannot handle the 16x16 bitmap cursor ONLY during authoring in Director. So when I make my projector on another (different) PC that does handle the 16x16 pixel bitmap cursor, will it run on my pc as well?
    Because then I just have to create 1 version of my movie or otherwise I have to make one for PC and one for Mac :( . Or, considering my first problem, I'll just use cursor 200 for my PC version and use the bitmapcursor for my Mac version. Not really the way I'd like to see it but if it works? Could anyone give me some advice about what's best to do?

  6. #6

    I at least know that the reason I can't make a 16x16 bitmap cursor is because I'm using Windows 98... other version like ME, 2000 and XP can make 16x16 bitmap cursors...

    So when I try to run a projector which uses a 16x16 bitmap cursor in Windows 98, what happens to my cursor? Does it disappear? Does it crash the computer? Does it rescale?