Professional Web Applications Themes

custom window functionality for all windows - Mac Programming

I'm a real neophyte when it comes to Mac programming, so please forgive me if I make a few blunders here. I want to add some custom functionality to windows in OS X. I've gathered that to do so I need to create a custom window definition. However, I want all windows to receive this functionality, so presumably I need to replace the system's default definition (with id 0). So, the thousand dollar question is, do calls to RegisterWindowDefinition stick, or do they only apply to the application in which they are called? In other words, does the function actually ...

  1. #1

    Default custom window functionality for all windows

    I'm a real neophyte when it comes to Mac programming, so please
    forgive me if I make a few blunders here.

    I want to add some custom functionality to windows in OS X. I've
    gathered that to do so I need to create a custom window definition.
    However, I want all windows to receive this functionality, so
    presumably I need to replace the system's default definition (with id
    0).

    So, the thousand dollar question is, do calls to
    RegisterWindowDefinition stick, or do they only apply to the
    application in which they are called? In other words, does the
    function actually alter the OS, so that custom definitions are not
    merely ephemeral?

    And as long as I'm asking, does anyone know of any existing
    functionality to shrink/magnify windows while keeping them fully
    functional?

    Stupid questions, no doubt, but I'm really desperate for some help
    here.
    David Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: custom window functionality for all windows

    On 3 Mar 2004, David Corey wrote:

    They are specific to the application that registered them.

    No idea, although it does seem possible as if you kill the dock while a
    window is being minimised, the shrinking stops and the half shrunk window
    is still basically functional.

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  3. #3

    There must be some way to implement custom window functionality across
    the board, since that what Unsanity appears to do with Windowshades
    (http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/wsx).
    David Guest

  4. #4

    On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, David Corey wrote:

    Have a look at <http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/ape/> to see how it's done.
    It's not easy, particularly safe, nor sactioned by the Powers That Be.
    Michael Guest

  5. #5

    In article <google.com>,
    com (David Corey) wrote:

    That's how it used to be done in Classic MacOS (i.e. MacOS 9 and
    earlier). In MacOS X, the OS itself doesn't really use WDEFs except if
    you define your own WDEF and use it inside a Carbon application.

    If you *really* need to do this, you'll probably have to use APE
    (Unsanity) or one of the code-injection mechanisms
    (http://extendamac.sf.net) and create two separate patches for Cocoa
    and Carbon apps.

    Besides these vague pointers, I don't really know what system API or SPI
    you would have to replace to get this working, but it definitely won't
    be easy. If you haven't done MacOS programming before, then this will be
    *very* hard. You'd really need experience in both Carbon and Cocoa
    programming to get this working.

    -- Uli
    http://www.zathras.de
    Uli Guest