Professional Web Applications Themes

Customer Feedback on Help>Updates - Adobe Indesign Windows

I would love to see a link on the Help files to a bug-tracking page at Adobe. It's frustrating enough when one encounters a bug, but does not know it's a bug. To learn that yes, it's a bug, not the user's fault, and that Adobe knows about it and has proposed workarounds and possible updates to fix the bug should not take more than one minute. Particularly with ID3, which is, basically, a Beta....

  1. #1

    Default Re: Customer Feedback on Help>Updates

    Scott_Falkner@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    1) Have you used the Help>Updates feature? If not, why not?

    Yes, tried to. Learned about an update through the forum, but couldn't install it. Where I work the computers are "managed" and have tight security. I or the system admin can download an update, but he has to log on with with an administator password to install it.

    2) Was the process of updating clear to you?
    I've never gotten any notifications of updates, so I would have no way of knowing if any were available. Don't know if the Sys Admin does, but he wouldn't tell me anyhow because it would make more work for him.

    3) What do you like or dislike about receiving product updates through this channel?

    Would be good if I or the Sys Admin knew about them.

    4) Are there any features, good or bad, which you would like to see changed?

    Notification of updates and why they are needed.
    H_Fiedler@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I'm in the same situation as H Fiedler. I can't use the update feature. Bob referred me to the FTP which works for me but I don't know when new stuff is available since I don't get any notifications.

    I would like if I could be notified via email instead.
    George Guest

  4. #4

    Yes, e-mail notification to me and the SysAdmin would be great. Veiled threats to the SysAdmin for not updating would be even better.
    H_Fiedler@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    There's usually a pretty quick notification on these forums.

    Bob
    Bob_Levine Guest

  6. #6

    > I would like if I could be notified via email instead.

    I signed up for such email notices, but honestly it was a long time ago and
    I don't have a clue how I did it. Seems like I get them every month or so.

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    There's usually a pretty quick notification on these forums.

    Do you mean they usually add a sticky?

    Edit: NM, I could see what you're talking about now.
    George Guest

  8. #8

    1) Have you used the Help>Updates feature? If not, why not?

    Yes.

    2) Was the process of updating clear to you?

    Yes, after checking out 'Preferences'

    3) What do you like or dislike about receiving product updates through
    this channel?

    What I like best is that I can see that there are updates. I don't like full automatic installs, but as that can be modified, OK. I can make this work almost as I want it to. For dislikes, see below.

    4) Are there any features, good or bad, which you would like to see changed?

    First time through the Adobe Updater, I would have preferred to be taken directly to 'Preferences' (can't remember accurately now -- but I'm almost certain I weren't). This would have made it clear that there is a degree of automation involved, and that I may want to configure.

    I assume a corporate installation can lock out this individual preference to ensure standard corporate procedures for software update control? If they can, there's some configuration involved, and if there is, it can be misused. Even if there isn't, a fake entry in my hosts file or my DNS server may mess up things. I'd like some kind of assurance that noone can set up a fake update server, send out a virus that alters my ID update server settings to a hostile server and
    download things that messes up my system. Do updates have digital signatures that are properly verified, for instance?

    A help button would be of great use, along with a well written Help Center file for the Updater.

    There is no 'undo'. Not good. I want one -- I want to be able to back out of a decision to install, say, Photoshop Services Update for whatever reason. Actually, as I'm on Windows XP, I'd even prefer the updates to be in the form of standard program installs -- visible and uninstallable (and even repairable) through the standard XP 'Add or Remove Programs' control panel, but there may be good reasons for not doing things that way.
    Anders_Thulin@adobeforums.com Guest