Professional Web Applications Themes

customizable properties of the polygon lasso tool - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

When working with 300dpi images of flowers, leaves, rigid or tight corners, etc. you tend to get fast at the polygon lasso tool, when you are clipping around the edges. However, one of the three ways of closing the polygon lasso tool, is double clicking the mouse, where the speed of your clipping can execute this by accident and close your selection. Your select is now closed, and now added the final line from end.point to start.point which may or may not overlap your selection, if so, which usually happens, your selection is useless, and you have to start over. ...

  1. #1

    Default customizable properties of the polygon lasso tool

    When working with 300dpi images of flowers, leaves, rigid or tight corners, etc. you tend to get fast at the polygon lasso tool, when you are clipping around the edges.

    However, one of the three ways of closing the polygon lasso tool, is double clicking the mouse, where the speed of your clipping can execute this by accident and close your selection.

    Your select is now closed, and now added the final line from end.point to start.point which may or may not overlap your selection, if so, which usually happens, your selection is useless, and you have to start over.

    -[ Request ]-

    1. A way to disable any of the 3 ways of closing your selection. I'd like to disable the double click way, and keep the CTRL+left click, and click at start.point.

    OR

    2. A way to go back into your polygon lasso tool, with the last point you click and everything. Some type of history feature for that.

    OR

    3. Add both 1 and 2.

    I really can't see me being the only one requesting a feature like this. If so, im shocked :) Any feedback, or response on this, to me, would be greatly appreciated.

    Regards,
    Ryan Briscall (Intertech Business Systems Ltd.)
    Ryan_Briscall@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    I agree that it would be nice to be able to go back even after you've finished your selection (I've prefer it to be recored in the history or be able to Ctrl-Z).

    But with Alt & shift you can add/subtract to your selection, so it isn't that big of a deal to me.

    A few tips: The backspace or delete keys move you back one point using the polygone lasso.

    Alt will shift you fron the lasso to polygone lasso (or vice versa). A useful point.
    Philip_Peterson@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Or use the pen tool instead.
    barry_gray@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I may look into changing my technique, and look into the pen tool idea. But I'd prefer other.

    Philip P, what I mean is, lets say im crop around a pot of flowers. If you start at one side, and go around, and eventually end up halfway, and you're also doing that cut around circle shape multiple times everywhere, around leaves, etc..

    If you accidently close out of the selection tool, it may overlap, and cause something that I can't seem to figure out how to recover out of, easily.

  5. #5

    A path is infinitely editable, can be saved and returned to where you left off at any time. The pen can do anything the selection tools do and much more.
    The pen tool is your friend.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword"
    barry_gray@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Why not just use a layer mask [or QuickMask mode]? That gives you indefinite amounts of undo/redo.
    Colin_Walls@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Good points by Colin & Barry, though they sidestep the question ("Don't use the lasso tool and you won't have a problem...")

    Personally I like to go back and fourth between all three methods (pen, quickmask, and lasso), depending on what I am doing.
    Philip_Peterson@adobeforums.com Guest