Professional Web Applications Themes

Cutout of photo in scrapbook program - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I am trying to make a cutout (take just the image of the person, no background) of a photo and use it in another program (Hallmark Scrapbook Studio). I make the cutout fine, but when I paste into scrapbook studio I have a white square around the cutout and it look silly. What can I do to get just the cutout? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Cutout of photo in scrapbook program

    I am trying to make a cutout (take just the image of the person, no background) of a photo and use it in another program (Hallmark Scrapbook Studio). I make the cutout fine, but when I paste into scrapbook studio I have a white square around the cutout and it look silly. What can I do to get just the cutout?

    Thanks
    marty cryer Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cutout of photo in scrapbook program

    marty

    I suspect that Hallmark Studio does not recognize transparency. You might
    try making the background of the picture the same as the background of where
    you are pasting the image.

    Pete D Guest

  3. #3

    Hi NG how are you this fine morning!

    Pete D Guest

  4. #4

    Been hot, hot, hot here....sweaty Betty am I...
    Nancy S Guest

  5. #5

    Pete, Chuck,

    I think I scored rather well yesterday at _____ Electronics... (partly due to a little glitch in their system but I did get the staff to see eye to eye with me...) came home with an Epson 1650 scanner for $30! Whoo-hoo.

    Gotta install it before I go to work! Later boys...

    Nanny
    Nancy S Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Dick Smith Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    Marty, i just bought that software for a friend as a gift. You like it ? Hope so. Listen, what format are you editing and saving in ?? Try saving your cutout in TIFF or PSD format and see if that works. Oh, when you are doing your cutout are you working on an 'editable' layer or 'Background' layer ?? You'll get the white with a 'background' image but if you double click on the layer ( your image) in the layers palette and click 'OK' after renaming you'll get an editable layer and after you cutout what you want then the outside will be transparent..and again save in formats i listed above.
    Jodi Frye Guest

  8. #8

    Jodi-
    Thanks for your help. I really like the program for the most part. There are some backgrounds that do not work well with digital images-they are designed to be printed and cut. When I make the cutouots I use the magnetic lasso to select it then copy onto a transparent layer. At that point I save in a JPEG format. Then I open the scrapbook program, insert the image and I have my image with a rectangle of white around it. Would love to get rid of the white-it will be so cool! Will try your other ideas, but if you come up with anything else, please let me know!
    Thanks again!
    marty cryer Guest

  9. #9

    Jodi-
    I tried both of your ideaqs with no luck. Not sure if I follow you with the editable vs. background layer. Tried your ideas, but there is nothing that tells me which kind of layer I have, is there?
    HELP!!!
    marty cryer Guest

  10. #10

    It's probably not possible to do what you want with the program you are using. Unless the progam accepts files in photoshop native format, your stuck with the white background. All you can do is make sure the background in the hallmark program is white also.
    Ricky Cash Guest

  11. #11

    "All you can do is make sure the background in the hallmark program is white also."

    Or an option is to change the background color of the image to match whatever the color is that you're using in the Hallmark software.
    Beth Haney Guest

  12. #12

    Jodi-
    |Thanks for the step by step, but that still didn't work. I still get the white around the outside of the cutout.
    Any other thoughts?
    Thanks for all your help!
    Marty
    marty cryer Guest

  13. #13

    Marty, what file format are you using? Not all of them will allow a transparent background. I don't think JPEG does, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. If you used either PSE or TIFF, you could get the transparent background, but I don't know if that would be compatible with the Hallmark software. Is it?
    Beth Haney Guest

  14. #14

    jpg doesn't support transparency
    Nancy S Guest

  15. #15

    MARTY CRYER,
    Hi Marty from Marty. Guess we'll have to start using our Last Name initial...
    MartyL and MartyC. I do hope you'll join us regularly on this forum; as you can tell, it's a hec of a nice bunch (and helpful)
    MartyL
    Marty Landolt Guest