Professional Web Applications Themes

Cutting out a part of a picture - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Does anyone know how I can cut out a part of a picture (for example, the people in a picture with a background), but keep it in the same picture so that I can blur the background or add other pictures to the original picture? I'd also like to be continued...

  1. #1

    Default Cutting out a part of a picture

    Does anyone know how I can cut out a part of a picture (for example, the people in a picture with a background), but keep it in the same picture so that I can blur the background or add other pictures to the original picture? I'd also like to be able to take that cut out part of the picture and move it to another picture. Thank you.
    Melissa McGrath Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Cutting out a part of a picture

    If I understand what you wish to do, one way to do it is to carefully select
    around the area (people) you wish to save, and then you have a couple of
    choices. One is then to use the cut function, and then paste that into the
    new picture with the new background you want, or create a new layer with
    just the selcted area, blur or change the original layer, and then merge
    them together.

    "Melissa McGrath" <Melissa1682@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know how I can cut out a part of a picture (for example, the
    people in a picture with a background), but keep it in the same picture so
    that I can blur the background or add other pictures to the original
    picture? I'd also like to be able to take that cut out part of the picture
    and move it to another picture. Thank you.

    AK Guest

  3. #3

    Melissa,
    Tell us a little about your familiarity with the tools in PE so that we may craft a response appropriate to your request. For example, are you familiar with the selection tools, layers, etc.?
    Ken
    Kenneth Liffmann Guest

  4. #4

    Melissa,

    These are the general steps I would take to approach the task:

    - roughly lasso the general area you wish to keep.

    - zoom into the selection

    - with the selection brush in mask mode, finish fine-tuning the selection (the pink overlaid area is NOT selected)

    - Layer->New->Layer via Copy puts just the selected part onto a new layer. You can use this to put new backgrounds, or as a selection template for your other image, as you proceed.

    I have no doubt that, in not too much longer, someone else (with oodles more experience than I) will be along with additional help.

    Elements has a huge variety of tools, which can be used in (seemingly) limitless order to accomplish the same task in many ways.

    Byron
    Byron Gale Guest

  5. #5

    How do you cut someone out of a picture. What is the best way?
    door16952 Guest