Professional Web Applications Themes

CVSup questions - FreeBSD

When 5.3 RELEASE first came out, I used the miniinst.iso CD to install 5.3 on a spare computer for tests. It installed ok and based on how it worked, I updated my primary computer. Now I have an application for the spare computer, and I thought I would use it to verify my understanding of how CVSup works. I installed cvsup-without-gui. pkg_info shows cvsup installed. pkg_version, however, failed. "Unable to open INDEX in pkg_do" I found that pkg_version http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/INDEX-5 ran ok, so the problem was the missing /usr/ports/INDEX-5. In fact there was no /usr/ports directory. I built src-all and ports-all. ...

  1. #1

    Default CVSup questions

    When 5.3 RELEASE first came out, I used the miniinst.iso CD
    to install 5.3 on a spare computer for tests. It installed ok
    and based on how it worked, I updated my primary computer.

    Now I have an application for the spare computer, and I thought
    I would use it to verify my understanding of how CVSup works.

    I installed cvsup-without-gui.

    pkg_info shows cvsup installed.

    pkg_version, however, failed. "Unable to open INDEX in pkg_do"
    I found that pkg_version http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/INDEX-5
    ran ok, so the problem was the missing /usr/ports/INDEX-5. In
    fact there was no /usr/ports directory.

    I built src-all and ports-all. Now, there is a /usr/ports
    directory and and lots of directories and files therein. In
    /usr/ports, I did make fetchindex. It failed. The
    /usr/ports/Makeindex file was really Makeindex,v. I copied it
    as Makeindex, and tried make fetchindex again. It showed many
    errors, finally "fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue".

    Obviously I need to start over, this time using the CD with
    the full iso image. I'll do that, but....

    What did I do wrong? And,

    What is the significance of the ",v" (comma, v) tacked on to
    several of the files in /usr/ports when the files were placed
    there by CVSup?

    Jay O'Brien
    Rio Linda, California, USA
    Jay Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CVSup questions

    Jay O'Brien wrote:

    This is because you didn't install the ports collection. IT is
    recommended either to download the port tarred port collection from the
    FTP or use cvsup to get the ports collection.

    You probably used CVS instead of cvsup. CVS, also known as Concurrent
    Version System is a mechanism which allows developers to manage codebase
    on which more than one individual is working simultaneously. When some
    change is made to a file "foo.bar" managed by a CVS, a file called
    "foo.bar,v" is created by the CVS. This file contains all the
    information about what changed and who changed it along with the
    comments which a developer might have provided during updating the file
    "foo.bar". Just to add, using the foo.bar,v file along with foo.bar, any
    version of the file may be created that ever existed.

    Well, its not always feasible to get hold of the full CD and also its
    most of the times not required. I generally use either the bootonly CD
    or the floppies to get a box on the network and pull off everything
    required over the network. However it is implied that you have a descent
    connection or you should arrange for some coffee while you install. :-)

    Best of Luck and welcome to the wonderful world where most of the things
    are free :-)

    Best Regards,
    S.
    Subhro Guest

  3. #3

    Subhro wrote:

    /snip/

    > You probably used CVS instead of cvsup. CVS, also known as Concurrent
    > Version System is a mechanism which allows developers to manage codebase
    > on which more than one individual is working simultaneously. When some
    > change is made to a file "foo.bar" managed by a CVS, a file called
    > "foo.bar,v" is created by the CVS. This file contains all the
    > information about what changed and who changed it along with the
    > comments which a developer might have provided during updating the file
    > "foo.bar". Just to add, using the foo.bar,v file along with foo.bar, any
    > version of the file may be created that ever existed.
    >
    >[/ref]
    No, I used cvsup. However, I was idly reading through all of the CVSup
    FAQ, and I found my problem. It explained that my supfile didn't have
    "tag=." and I knew that it did. Sure enough, a typo. I used a - instead
    of an =. It read "tag-.". Now, with it correct, pkg_version works. And
    now I understand the ,v indicates RCS files.
    /snip/

    Thank you very much, I really appreciate your quick and thoughtful answer.

    Jay

    Jay Guest