Professional Web Applications Themes

CW8 Shared Library Link Problems - Mac Programming

Hi All, I am using CW8.3 to Build a project that contains two targets, an application and a shared library. The Shared Library is actually classed as a "standalone" or "DropIn" in the as per the Targetting MacOS book definitions. I looked in the Targetting MacOS book that came on the CD and is says to do the following, which I do: In the Application I have included the following files: MSL_Runtime_PPC_D.Lib MSL_All_Carbon_D.Shlib and in the Shared Library target: MSL_DropInRuntim_PPC_D.lib MSL_All_Carbon_D.Shlib However, when I link the App I get the following Link Warnings. Is this ok? Have I got the ...

  1. #1

    Default CW8 Shared Library Link Problems

    Hi All,

    I am using CW8.3 to Build a project that contains two targets, an application
    and a shared library. The Shared Library is actually classed as a
    "standalone" or "DropIn" in the as per the Targetting MacOS book definitions.

    I looked in the Targetting MacOS book that came on the CD and is says to do
    the following, which I do:

    In the Application I have included the following files:

    MSL_Runtime_PPC_D.Lib
    MSL_All_Carbon_D.Shlib

    and in the Shared Library target:

    MSL_DropInRuntim_PPC_D.lib
    MSL_All_Carbon_D.Shlib

    However, when I link the App I get the following Link Warnings. Is this ok?
    Have I got the correct files?

    Thanks in Advance
    Eric

    Link Warning : ignored '__register_global_object' (descriptor) in
    MSL_All_Carbon_D.Shlb
    Previously defined in MSL_DropInRuntim_PPC_D.Lib

    Link Warning : ignored '__destroy_global_chain' (descriptor) in
    MSL_All_Carbon_D.Shlb
    Previously defined in MSL_DropInRuntim_PPC_D.Lib

    Link Warning : ignored '__global_destructor_chain' (data) in
    MSL_All_Carbon_D.Shlb
    Previously defined in MSL_DropInRuntim_PPC_D.Lib

    Eric Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: CW8 Shared Library Link Problems

    In article <dsl.pipex.com>,
    Eric Edwards <net> wrote:

    Yes, you have the right files. But I appreciate your asking and making
    sure.

    You can safely ignore the warnings. Those symbols SHOULD be picked up
    from the static .lib runtime libraries, and the messages indicate that's
    exactly what's happening. In other words it is telling you that it is
    doing things correctly.

    Ron

    --

    Metrowerks, maker of CodeWarrior - "Software Starts Here"
    Ron Liechty - com - <http://www.metrowerks.com>

  3. #3

    > I am using CW8.3 to Build a project that contains two targets, an application

    Hi Eric,

    Try using the MSL_All_Carbon_D.Lib (not Shlb) and CarbonLib for both
    projects. I have not used the DropInRuntime for my Shared Libraries
    so I am not sure how that would play.

    I routinely write Shared Libraries in CodeWarrior for both Mac &
    Windows (DLL's) for my core code, and save my interface as a separate
    app, either as a CodeWarrior console app, or a GUI app written in
    RealBasic or Java (via JNI). There are several gotcha's that are not
    obvious when you do them, but once you get passed it, it really is a
    nice way to go.

    On the CodeWarrior Reference CD, there is a sample project which does
    exactly what you are trying to do, although it is Mac only. It's
    easily missed as it is not in the "MacOS X Examples" as you would
    expect it, but rather in the "MacOS Examples" (despite the fact it is
    not a Classic project, but a native Carbon app). Look at CW Reference
    8.0/(CodeWarrior Examples)/MacOS Examples/Shared Library
    Examples/Simple Shared Library Example .

    Jonathan Hoyle
    Gene Codes Corporation
    Jonathan Guest