Professional Web Applications Themes

D70 and Picture Project - Photography

Just received my new D70 and am trying to install Picture Project 1.0 on PC with Windows XP Professional. Error message: "Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows". Anyone else with this problem? Running AVG and Zone Alarm - could they be implicated? I am anxious to use my camera, but must download program off of Lexar CP flash card before I can begin. Formatting the disk first will erase program on Lexar CP. TIA...

  1. #1

    Default D70 and Picture Project

    Just received my new D70 and am trying to install Picture Project 1.0 on PC with Windows XP Professional. Error message: "Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with windows".
    Anyone else with this problem? Running AVG and Zone Alarm - could they be implicated?

    I am anxious to use my camera, but must download program off of Lexar CP flash card before I can begin. Formatting the disk first will erase program on Lexar CP.

    TIA

    B&H Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: D70 and Picture Project

    Ack, do NOT install PP. It's LOUSY.

    If you MUST connect to your camera (which I discourage -- buy a decent USB2
    card reader), download Nikon View and install it.

    PP has what I consider a fatal flaw. If you open and image and change it,
    the image is SAVED whether you wanted to or not!

    Tom
    "B&H" <angels4mikewavecable.com> wrote in message
    Just received my new D70 and am trying to install Picture Project 1.0 on PC
    with Windows XP Professional. Error message: "Windows cannot read from this
    disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not
    compatible with windows".
    Anyone else with this problem? Running AVG and Zone Alarm - could they be
    implicated?

    I am anxious to use my camera, but must download program off of Lexar CP
    flash card before I can begin. Formatting the disk first will erase program
    on Lexar CP.

    TIA

    Tom Scales Guest

  3. #3

    "muddycat" <muddydotcat> wrote in message
    > In article <wfWdne2iR4duGlHcRVn-2wcomcast.com>,
    > "Tom Scales" <tomtoosofthome.net> wrote:
    >
    >> If you MUST connect to your camera (which I discourage -- buy a decent
    >> USB2
    >> card reader), download Nikon View and install it.
    >
    > I second this. You don't really need Nikon View either, you can just
    > copy the images off the card to the hard disk.
    >
    > --
    > Mike
    >
    > SV650
    > UKRMMA#22 ICQ#219328929
    Yes, I agree, but if he needs access to a card, and doesn't have a card
    reader, buying one on Christmas Eve might be a challenge.

    Tom

    Tom Scales Guest

  4. #4

    In article <ApCdnUADTc39NVHcRVn-gAcomcast.com>,
    Tom Scales <tomtoosofthome.net> wrote:

    >"muddycat" <muddydotcat> wrote in message
    >> In article <wfWdne2iR4duGlHcRVn-2wcomcast.com>,
    >> "Tom Scales" <tomtoosofthome.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you MUST connect to your camera (which I discourage -- buy a decent
    >>> USB2
    >>> card reader), download Nikon View and install it.
    >>
    >> I second this. You don't really need Nikon View either, you can just
    >> copy the images off the card to the hard disk.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike
    >>
    >> SV650
    >> UKRMMA#22 ICQ#219328929
    >
    >Yes, I agree, but if he needs access to a card, and doesn't have a card
    >reader, buying one on Christmas Eve might be a challenge.
    You don't need any of the Nikon software, even without a card reader.
    Actually, he already has a card reader - the camera itself. Connect
    the external cable, and the CF card in the camera shows up as an
    external removeable storage device, just as it would with a reader.

    Nikon View just (like the corresponding from Canon, Pentax, etc.) is
    useful if you want to get at some of the settings that aren't stored
    in the publicly-defined tags on the EXIF data, or if you are using the
    manufacturer-specific RAW file format. But for simply getting JPEGs
    off the CF card you don't need it.

    John Francis Guest

  5. #5

    So copy the subdirectory containing the files from the card to your computer
    and install it later if you are in a hurry. Alternatively, the card will
    work just fine; it does not need formatting and the software takes up just a
    small amount of space.

    All "formatting" does is erase the card. Nothing is formatted.

    Picture Project has some strengths and weaknesses:

    Pros: Good automatic picture adjustment, good red-eye removal, good file
    export function -- especially to PDAs (but you have the D70 version which is
    crippled and does not have that function -- it only comes with Nikon's P&S
    cameras).

    Cons: Automatically saves changes without asking and without making a backup
    copy, if you move a file on your computer PP will not recognize it,
    interface to Nikon Net does not work and plants spyware on your computer,
    interface to Nikon Capture is incredibly slow.

    The way I use PP is I import the raw NEF files, immediately export them as
    JPGs, import the JPGs (it does not do this automatically, of course, nor
    does it let you choose the directory that you want to export them to), and
    adjust the JPGs. This gives me a nice batch of JPG files without having to
    create them separately on the camera which I can use to review or make slide
    shows or whatever. I also use the adjusted JPGs as a check for color,
    exposure and sharpness against my own adjustments in Photoshop in order to
    keep me from getting too weird.

    The bottom line is I could easily live without PP. It messes up my file
    organization, is full of bugs, and makes unwanted changes to my files. I
    like the file viewer which allows me to review NEF files full screen and the
    automatic picture adjustment (which you have to be very careful to use only
    on expendable copies). I think PP is dangerous in the hands of a novice
    computer user.

    C J Campbell Guest

  6. #6

    Whilst travelling interstate over the last month, I was called on to shoot
    two weddings for friends. The trusty D70 came out, (and it gave me an excuse
    to buy more gear on the road - always good!) But then the problem ...

    Not only did I not have access to my own PC, my friends had NO GRAPHICS
    SOFTWARE I could use to post-edit the photos (cropping mainly) for printing.
    A quick google on a friend's PC found me Polyview's website (not the monitor
    brand, but the software.) Not only did they have a downloadable trial of
    their software, but support for each of the manufacturer RAW formats,
    including NEF!!

    Long story short, I was able to give both couples instant copies of the
    photos all cropped and touched up (supports levels, auto options, etc.) The
    software is easy to use and designed for maximum quality output with a whole
    list of rendering options, JP2000, etc. Now that I'm back home and
    post-editing some of the second wedding's reception shots (I used up 3GB
    that day) I've actually downloaded Polyview to use at home as my primary NEF
    viewer/thumb-nailer as well. I recommend a look to anyone sick of Nikon's
    offerings.

    Zak

    (and YAAY for D70's and SB800's for making weddings so easy!)

    "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > So copy the subdirectory containing the files from the card to your
    computer
    > and install it later if you are in a hurry. Alternatively, the card will
    > work just fine; it does not need formatting and the software takes up just
    > small amount of space.
    >
    > All "formatting" does is erase the card. Nothing is formatted.
    >
    > Picture Project has some strengths and weaknesses:
    >
    > Pros: Good automatic picture adjustment, good red-eye removal, good file
    > export function -- especially to PDAs (but you have the D70 version which
    is
    > crippled and does not have that function -- it only comes with Nikon's P&S
    > cameras).
    >
    > Cons: Automatically saves changes without asking and without making a
    backup
    > copy, if you move a file on your computer PP will not recognize it,
    > interface to Nikon Net does not work and plants spyware on your computer,
    > interface to Nikon Capture is incredibly slow.
    >
    > The way I use PP is I import the raw NEF files, immediately export them as
    > JPGs, import the JPGs (it does not do this automatically, of course, nor
    > does it let you choose the directory that you want to export them to), and
    > adjust the JPGs. This gives me a nice batch of JPG files without having to
    > create them separately on the camera which I can use to review or make
    slide
    > shows or whatever. I also use the adjusted JPGs as a check for color,
    > exposure and sharpness against my own adjustments in Photoshop in order to
    > keep me from getting too weird.
    >
    > The bottom line is I could easily live without PP. It messes up my file
    > organization, is full of bugs, and makes unwanted changes to my files. I
    > like the file viewer which allows me to review NEF files full screen and
    the
    > automatic picture adjustment (which you have to be very careful to use
    only
    > on expendable copies). I think PP is dangerous in the hands of a novice
    > computer user.

    ZakZX9R Guest

  7. #7

    C J Campbell <com> wrote:

    Can you do the adjustment before exporting to JPG? That's what I
    would want to do. Also, can you use it without having it bugger
    up all your directory scheme etc? I considered installing it, but
    from step 1 it seemed to me it was an idiot-level interface, and
    so I've just stuck with using File Manager to copy for now. I
    basically want the slimmest piece of s/w that lets me use NEF,
    adjust saturation/colour balance, sharpen and crop, then export
    as JPG. Any other suitable progs for that?

    --
    Ken Tough
    Ken Guest

  8. #8

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:28:36 +0200, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Ken
    Tough <co.uk> wrote:

    I've been using Nikon View 6.2.1 for this since getting the camera before
    now looking at other options with a bit more control. I had it from my
    CP-5700, but you can dl it from the Nikon Tech support site. IIRC though,
    you can not have PP and NV installed at the same time. If you use the NEF
    plugins with PSP, be sure to copy them elsewhere as the ones bundled with
    NV are not compatible with PSP.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Ruf.com)
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    Ed Guest

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Ken Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Ed Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Ken Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Owamanga Guest
    Moderated Post

  13. #13

    Owamanga <com> wrote:

    >It doesn't.
    >
    >But here's a hint: US serial numbers start with a 3.[/ref]

    So does mine. Maybe I should try and register there then.
    I suppose I just need an address. (Could use B&H's maybe...)

    Oh yeah, right.. bwwwwaaahahahahah. If someone showed up in my
    house with a slit neck and four bullet holes, I'd be lucky for the
    police to show up before morning. (And that's only mild exaggeration).
    I could call the police and tell them I've got a stolen camera (which
    I don't), and they'd first say: 'not my problem', then 'bring it in'.

    --
    Ken Tough
    South Africa